Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Top Ten Books Everyone Has Read But Me





Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created at The Broke and the Bookish. There is a new subject each week and this week's topic is "Top Ten Books That I Feel Everyone Has Read But Me".


Books for adults:

1. The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson
2. Water For Elephants by Sarah Gruen
3. The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald
4. The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger
5. The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold
6. The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls
7. Animal Farm by George Orwell
8. Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury
9. The Host by Stephenie Meyer
10. Anything by Stephen King


I actually own the entire set of Stieg Larsson's Millennium Trilogy (I got it for Christmas last year) but I just haven't read it yet. I also own Water For Elephants (purchased this past spring when the movie came out) and likewise haven't picked it up yet. The Great Gatsby is one I was supposed to have read in college for my American Lit class (I was a terrible English major!). 


The other books are just ones I hear people talk about all the time. I did try to read The Host but didn't get very far into it. My sister says she prefers it to the Twilight saga because she considers the writing to be better. I have yet to read a Stephen King novel but I am planning to read his new one that is coming out in November. It is about the JFK assassination and someone who goes back in time to try to stop it!


Books for Teens


1. The Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick Ness
2. Gone by Michael Grant
3. The Maze Runner by James Dashner
4. Alanna by Tamora Pierce
5. I Am Number Four by Pittacus Lore
6. The House of Night series by P.C. Cast
7. Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher
8. The Confessions of Georgia Nicolson series by Louise Rennison
9. Anything by John Green
10. Anything by Scott Westerfeld


I have heard from many people who good Patrick Ness's Chaos Walking trilogy is and I have been wanting to try The Knife of Never Letting Go. I've also heard that Gone is excellent. To be honest, I wasn't interested in it first because of the cover. Isn't that sad? 


The Maze Runner is another book that I've been hearing about for years. I decided not to read it when it was first published because I read Incarceron and they both sounded so similar. Plus I am not into invented lingo/slang and I've heard it is used quite a bit in this series. I may try it someday anyway. I am also on the fence about the Georgia Nicolson books. I've heard they are really funny but again the lingo might annoy me too much. The House of Night is another popular series but I have no plans to read it. For one thing, I've heard that the quality seriously declines as the series goes along. I also am not very into vampire fiction anymore so with just a few exceptions (Richelle Mead's books), I am skipping vampire books for the foreseeable future. I am also not so sure that I want to read I Am Number Four. I watched the movie and it wasn't that bad but I still hesitate to read the book.


I will definitely be picking up Thirteen Reasons Why someday. I have heard that it is excellent. I am also planning to try a John Green book sometime and I want to read both Uglies and Leviathan just to see if I like them. I also will be reading Alanna since I just bought it for my Kindle. I have heard that Tamora Pierce is an excellent fantasy author so I am eager to try this one and join the club of her many devoted fans.

10 comments:

  1. Oooo Animal Farm and The Host are SO good. Among my favs. I hope you read them some day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've only read Water for Elephants and The Great Gatsby on your Adult List, and Thirteen Reasons Why and I am Number Four on your second list. :) You have a lot listed that I really want to read though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've read most of the ones on your adult list and I definitely want to recommend Animal Farm-so good and really short, which is always a good thing to my mind.

    Haven't read most of the YA books but the Alanna books are amazing so I'm glad to hear that you'll be reading it soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great list! We have some of the same books, like Dragon Tattoo. I have been meaning to read Water for Elephants too. You must read The Maze Runner- I loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Glass Castle is so good, that would be my recommendation.

    Many others I have no interest in reading but I was intrigued at times.

    Lovely Bones I do think I will read though and possibly Water for Elephants.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Host has a slow beginning, but it gets going later (and it's very well written, a definite improvement from Twilight).

    I'm with you on a lot of your picks! I keep meaning to pick up a copy of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, same with Patrick Ness's books.

    Awesome lists! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like that you've inscluded both adult & ya books.

    From the adult, I've read: the 1st Millennium book & although not an easy read, it was good; The Lovely Bones - I loved the movie, but the book was one of the most depressing books I've ever read & I can't really recommend it; Water for Elephants - read it & although I enjoyed it a lot; & I finally read a book from Stephen King a few months ago & I'll definitely read more ;)

    From YA: I've read both Uglies & Leviathan, but only the first books & I'll definitely continue the series; I've read both The Maze Runner & Incarceron & they aren't similar, but Incarceron is much better, I liked The Maze Runner, but I'm not planning to finish the trilogy; as for I am #4 - the movie was fun, but don't read the book, I read it & it's just not good.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've read Water for Elephants 3 times. It's an amazing book. Other than that, I've only read one other on your list. I guess we're in the same boat.

    I did just grab The Knife of Never Letting Go because the Kindle version was on sale on Amazon for 2.99 and I couldn't pass it up. I'm not sure when I'll actually get a chance to read it though!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thirteen Reason Why IS good! I've heard the audiobook is good too, but I haven't tried it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. i've actually read a lot of the adult books, and I have to say a lot of them are AWESOME!!!!

    as for the teens, i'm not really a fan of a lot of those books, so i wouldn't really be the one to recommend those. I did think the georgia nicholson one that I read was cute. but I didn't care for gone or uglies/specials.

    ReplyDelete

Reading Extensively is now an award free blog. Thanks for stopping by! Please leave a comment. I enjoy receiving feedback! Due to increase in spam, I've enabled comment moderation. Sorry for any inconvenience!