Sunday, September 11, 2011

It's Monday, What Are You Reading (79)



It's Monday, What Are You Reading is a fun weekly meme hosted by Sheila at Book Journey where we share what we've read and reviewed over the past week and what we plan to read next.



I only managed to complete two books this week but I did get some reviews written. My readers advisory class is starting this week so I don't know how much reading I will get done in the next month. We'll see...

Books read:


Shadows on the Moon by Zoe Marriott

This is definitely going on my list of favorite books from 2011! I like fairy tales retold and I loved this fantasy retelling of Cinderella set in a world inspired by Feudal Japan. 




This is a charming book about falling in love later in life and family relationships among other things. The ending does get a little melodramatic but that is a small flaw. This has been optioned for a film and if it is made I hope Alan Rickman will play Major Pettigrew.



Books reviewed:

Blue Skies Tomorrow by Sarah Sundin
Vanish by Sophie Jordan

Currently reading:


Girl in Translation by Jean Kwok

I hopefully will finish rereading this soon since it is a book club read. So far I think it is just as good the second time around and listening to the audio adds something to the experience.



Uncommon Criminals by Ally Carter

I have only read the first two chapters but I can tell that I will like this one as much as Heist Society. Ally Carter writes great adventurous and funny YA books.



What I might read next:


Circle of Fire by Michelle Zink

I can't wait to find out how this series will end. Alice is so evil (she gives new meaning to the term "evil twin") but I am kind of secretly hoping Lia will somehow save her.



Cleopatra's Moon by Vicky Alvear Shecter

I am excited to start this one because I find Selene to be a fascinating historical figure and I know very little about her. She has become a popular character in historical fiction in recent years!



The Emerald Atlas by John Stephens

While I doubt this will be the "next Harry Potter" as some are saying, I think it will be a fun adventure. I also want to read this to decide if I want to get the audio book read by Jim Dale. He did such a fantastic job with the Harry Potter series.



Before Ever After by Samantha Sotto

This is a book I received from the Amazon Vine program. It is about a woman who finds out that her late husband is still alive and well and possibly immortal. This isn't paranormal fiction so I am intrigued.




The Lantern by Deborah Lawrenson

This is supposed to be a really good literary gothic flavored mystery (publicity compares it to Du Maurier's Rebecca) set in France. It is another one I requested through the Vine program so I need to read it soon.



The Kitchen Daughter by Jael McHenry

I love the cover of this book but the synopsis is just as good. A young woman with Asperger's Syndrome takes comfort during a time of grief by cooking family recipes. When she makes a late loved one's recipe, she can hear them talk to her. I think that sounds like an interesting story! Reminds me of something Sarah Addison Allen would write. 


So what have you been reading and what are you planning to read this week?

15 comments:

  1. Your books look awesome- have a great week! (Sorry if this is a dup compliment... I received an error after leaving the first one)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved Before Ever After! Here is a link to my review:
    http://elle-lit.blogspot.com/2011/07/book-review-before-ever-after-by.html

    I also can't wait to read The Lantern! I hope you enjoy it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have Heist Society as an audio, so I'm glad to see you enjoyed it and your also enjoying the sequel!!

    I can't believe you live in Wooster. My brother went to the College of Wooster and I was just at the Wayne County Fair on Saturday. I live in North Canton so I'm not far from you at all!! What a small world!

    Have a great reading week :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't even know where to start commenting on these books; they all look so good! I'm glad you liked Major Pettigrew, and you are right--Alan Rickman would be perfect as the Major! I hadn't heard of Shadows on the Moon, but I just added it to my to-read list. Enjoy your week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fab list of books you have, you make me want to read all of them but Major Pettigrew is one that I want to push up my list, I have it on audio.

    Thanks for your thoughts and prayers :)
    Have a wonderful week and happy reading however much you manage.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the sound of Shadows on the Moon. Have a nice week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. New follower here!

    All of these look great, especially Shadows on the Moon and Before Ever After. They'll definitely be going on my TBR list.

    Here are my Monday Memes

    ReplyDelete
  8. I absolutely LOVED Before Ever After! It was by far a favorite read this year, so I hope you'll pick it up soon. Also The Kitchen Daughter was excellent as well. Enjoy!

    Hope you have a fabulous reading week and if you get a second stop my to see what I've been reading at There's A Book! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great books! I really should read some of those books :) Happy reading & have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Before Ever After is the one which is new to me. I hope you enjoy all your books.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great books this year. I read and absolutely love Major Pettigrew. It was for my bookclub and led to some really interesting discussions. I have quite of few of the books you listed on my tbr list and look forward to reading your reviews of them.

    Stop by and see what I have going on this week at Always With a Book

    ReplyDelete
  12. Before Ever After looks so good! And Uncommon Criminals is a fun read :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great list of books! I didn't have a very productive reading week this week but there's always next week! Major Pettigrew sems to be very popular and I am intrigued by 'Before Ever After'

    http://peggyannspost.blogspot.com/2011/09/its-monday-what-areyou-reading.html

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the cover of Before Ever After.

    Three-quarters of what I read this week was in the form of children's picture books. Please come see what they were.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Mmmm, you had me at Alan Rickman :) How I love that man! I've had that book on my list for awhile, I may have to bump it up if they were to cast him in the part!

    ReplyDelete

Reading Extensively is now an award free blog. Thanks for stopping by! Please leave a comment. I enjoy receiving feedback! Due to increase in spam, I've enabled comment moderation. Sorry for any inconvenience!