Sunday, September 11, 2011

Ten Years Ago-My Thoughts on September 11th






Ten years ago I was a recent college graduate on my way to my first real job interview for a job I wasn't really qualified for. I was so nervous that I was sick to my stomach and my dad drove me four hours to the interview. It was early on the morning of Tuesday September 11th, 2001. In an attempt to calm my nerves, I listened to cassettes of Enya, Celine Dion, and classical music for the entire four hour drive. Because of this my dad and I had no idea of the terrorist attacks taking place until I got to my interview. I was shocked to hear about the attacks on the World Trade Center and the Pentagon. I couldn't believe it. On our way home, my dad and I listened to the radio and my family watched the footage that night on TV. 


I'd always felt safe growing up in the States. The events of September 11th woke our nation to the fact that we aren't as safe here as we'd believed. But it also showed that Americans are brave and resilient. New York is rebuilding and our country is stronger. I've also been inspired by the stories of courageous people who lost so much yet continue to live and strive and love. 

I'd like to take a moment to pay my respects to the people who lost their lives on that tragic day and to those who lost loved ones. I also like to say thank you to the people who work every day to keep our country safe both here in the States and abroad.









1 comment:

Reading Extensively is now an award free blog. Thanks for stopping by! Please leave a comment. I enjoy receiving feedback! Due to increase in spam, I've enabled comment moderation. Sorry for any inconvenience!