Sunday, September 4, 2011

It's Monday, What Are You Reading (78)





It's Monday What Are You Reading? is a fun weekly meme hosted by Sheila at Book Journey. I always enjoy seeing what other people have read and reviewed over the past week. It is also a great way to find new books to add to that ever-growing TBR list!


Tuesday was the first meeting of my book discussion group. While only one person was able to attend the initial meeting, once I started advertising our first book pick, several people picked up copies so I hope that the first actual book discussion later this month will be well attended. Plus I'll be serving Chinese food to go with the book (Girl in Translation by Jean Kwok) so it should be fun.


I didn't post a single review last week which is unusual for me. I hope to remedy that this coming week! I did get some more reading in though and really enjoyed some fantastic books. 


I am also holding a new giveaway for The Girl of Fire and Thorns by Rae Carson, a YA fantasy novel that will be published later this month. It is open Internationally so be sure to check it out!




Books read:

Bloodlines by Richelle Mead

I was a little worried that I would be disappointed with Bloodlines since it would have Sydney as the main character rather than Rose but I was surprised by how much I liked Bloodlines anyway. It is the start to a great spin-off series and I think most Vampire Academy fans will be pleased with it.


Small Town Sinners by Melissa Walker

I had a feeling I'd like this book and I wasn't wrong. It is not without some flaws but I am glad it tackled issues of religion and that the main character wasn't just a caricature of a Christian teen. I know I would have been able to relate to Lacey if I'd read the book as a teen.


The Postmistress by Sarah Blake

I am still a little torn about this book. I liked it but at times the pacing was slow and I was bothered by the ending. Still it is well written and it has some memorable characters and historical detail.


Little Black Dress by Susan McBride

This book was entertaining if a little predictable. It reminded me quite a bit of The Violets of March by Sarah Jio but with a touch of Sarah Addison Allen because of the magical elements.



Currently reading:


Shadows on the Moon by Zoe Marriott

I love this book so far! It is a fantasy retelling of Cinderella set in an Asia-inspired world. I think it is something that fans of Cindy Pon and Alison Goodman would enjoy.


Girl in Translation by Jean Kwok

I love this book! It is one of my favorites and it is the September selection for my book club. I am having fun listening to it on audio this time around. Grayce Wey does a fantastic job narrating the story. I am really really picky about audio books but her voice is so believable and somehow listening to it makes it more emotional than when I read it last year.


What I plan to read next:



I am looking forward to reading this since it is so highly recommended. I know it is popular with book groups too.



I know this will be an emotional read. The author was at both Ground Zero on September 11th and she went to Sri Lanka to help after the tsunami. Should be a powerful story and timely as we head towards the 10th anniversary of September 11th.


Uncommon Criminals by Ally Carter

I am determined to at least start Uncommon Criminals this week. I hate when I buy books but don't read them for a long time. Sometimes I never read them and end up donating them to my library. While I think I will eventually donate this, I want to read it first!


Cleopatra's Moon by Vicky Alvear Shecter

I loved Michelle Moran's Cleopatra's Daughter and I am hoping that this YA book about Selene will be good too. 


The Kitchen Daughter by Jael McHenry

I have heard excellent things about The Kitchen Daughter and look forward to reading it. There are supposed to be tasty recipes featured too. I don't know that I will be brave enough to try them but maybe there will be something easy :)


So that's my reading plan for the week. 
What have you been reading lately?

20 comments:

  1. I think you'll enjoy Major Pettigrew, I did. I liked The Post Mistress too but was hoping for something a little more powerful. Great idea to have Chinese food for your book club reading. You sound like a great hostess. Have a good reading week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY for your book club! How exciting and I love that you are serving food to go with the book.... that is a favorite thing with our book club!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I get your feelings on The Postmistress. It wasn't one of my favorites.

    I hope you enjoy Major Pettigrew! I really did.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had trouble with bits and pieces of The Postmistress. I still need to write my review.

    I'm traveling again and posting during a thunder storm. Please come see what I'm reading.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am adding almost all of these to my wish list, lol

    Happy Reading!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Some good looking books there; hope you have time to read with the holiday weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great books. I really want to read Small Town Sinners!

    Tia @ Falling For Books

    ReplyDelete
  8. I nearly purchased a copy of The Postmistress the other day. I wasn't entirely certain about but now I am pleased I didn't buy it. Hope you enjoy your other books. I have heard good things about Major Pettigrews Last Stand.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good luck with the book group.

    Have a great reading week

    carol

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a colorful bunch of books! I have Shadows on the Moon and hopefully I'll read it soon :D

    This is my My Monday. Feel free to pass by, have a look and enter in my two giveaways if you want to ;)

    Hugs,

    Alaiel

    ReplyDelete
  11. The Postmistress has been on my reading list for a very long time. I do hope I get to it eventually.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Chinese with the book? I love it. Good luck! Post pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great books this week. I loved Major Pettigrew - we read it for my book club and it lent itself to some great discussion points. I have both Little Black Dress and The Kitchen Daughter on my tbr list.

    My It's Monday post can be found here.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I was surprised at how much I enjoyed Major Pettigrew. I picked it up from the sale table, and because I'd heard about it...but I wasn't prepared for how much I came to feel what he was feeling and care about what he cared about...the author really brought him to life.

    Here's MY MONDAY MEMES POST and
    MY WEBSITE

    ReplyDelete
  15. I might have to pick up Small Town Sinners after reading your thoughts...I get frustrated as well when Christian characters seem so unrealistic.

    Here's My Monday: http://literarylindsey.blogspot.com/2011/09/its-monday-its-labor-day-what-are-you.html

    ReplyDelete
  16. I haven't read any of the books in your list! But I would like to read Girl in Translation and The Postmistress. I assume Postmistress is something about letter-writing?

    ReplyDelete
  17. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've had my eye on Small Town Sinners, and The Postmistress has been sitting unread on my bookshelf for months! I'm glad you (mostly) enjoyed them!

    You have some great books picked out this week. I hope you enjoy them!

    Here's my Monday: http://elle-lit.blogspot.com/2011/09/september-5-its-monday-what-are-you.html

    New follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I can't wait to read Bloodlines, good to know it didn't disappoint and I have quite a few of your other books waiting patiently for me ;)
    Have a great week and happy reading!

    ReplyDelete

Reading Extensively is now an award free blog. Thanks for stopping by! Please leave a comment. I enjoy receiving feedback! Due to increase in spam, I've enabled comment moderation. Sorry for any inconvenience!