Friday, June 18, 2010

Review: The Cinderella Society

The Cinderella Society
By Kay Cassidy
Publication date: April 13, 2010

My review:

At her new school, Jess Parker has been bullied by popular Lexy Steele ever since she beat Lexy for a spot on the cheerleading squad. Lexy is out to make Jess's life miserable but to make things worse she is also the sister of Ryan Steele, the guy Jess has a crush on. When Jess receives a mysterious invitation she is sure it is part of an elaborate scheme to humiliate her but she goes anyway. What she finds is The Cinderella Society, a secret society of young women who are trying to stop the Wickeds, an organization of mean girls like Lexy. The Cinderella Society helps young women with leadership potential by giving them confidence (as well as makeovers). With her new look and a more positive attitude can Jess snag Ryan and bring Lexy down?

On the surface The Cinderella Society might sound like a fluff novel but it actually deals with deeper issues. Jess does receive an outward makeover as a new Cindy but she also gets great advice about an internal makeover. The Cindys teach their members to be more self confident and ignore negative thoughts. For Jess, this is a big obstacle because she has been the target of Lexy's snide comments and bullying for so long. Unfortunately Jess is sidetracked by the outward makeover and the attention she gets from Ryan due to her new look. At times I thought the book was bogged down by the makeover and popularity aspect. Thankfully Jess is equally committed to stopping Lexy and others of her kind. I really liked how Jess looked out for Heather, another one of Lexy's targets. Jess isn't perfect but she grows throughout the book and she had some very admirable qualities. I really liked some of the supporting characters like Sarah Jane, Jess's Cindy mentor. I also liked the importance of mentoring and serving the community. The concept behind the Society is fantastic. While the romance plays a part in the novel I really loved the positive female empowering message and the focus on sisterhood.

The Cinderella Society was an enjoyable book with a great message. I wish such an organization existed in real life because it would help so many young women deal with bullying and low self esteem.

Readalikes: The Lonely Hearts Club by Elizabeth Eulberg, the Gallagher Girls series by Ally Carter


6 comments:

  1. Awesome review! It's great to hear that this book actually deals with some important issues - I wouldn't have thought that initially.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review, Christina! As I was reading it, I thought it sounded a lot like Lonely Hearts Club, which you mentioned at the end as a "readalike." Love that term by the way. Anyway, I really enjoyed Lonely Hearts so I will have to check out this one. I love the message of girl power as well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. great review :) i like the message of the book, and how it tackles an issue in such a cute way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review! This book is definitely on my TBR list. =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice review. I love the positive message that the Cinderella Society has. I feel that a lot of girls should read this book and understand that they are wonderful too. It would be great if an organization like the Cinderella Society really did exist.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excellent review. I too wish their really was a society like that. Maybe Kay Cassidy could start one? ;)

    ReplyDelete

Reading Extensively is now an award free blog. Thanks for stopping by! Please leave a comment. I enjoy receiving feedback! Due to increase in spam, I've enabled comment moderation. Sorry for any inconvenience!