Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Waiting on Wednesday (75)

"Waiting on" Wednesday is a weekly meme to discuss upcoming books we can't wait to get our hands on. Waiting on Wednesday is hosted by Jill at Breaking the Spine.


This week, I'm waiting on:


The Flight of Gemma Hardy by Margot Livesey
Publication date: January 24, 2012

Description from Goodreads:

Acclaimed, award-winning author Margot Livesey delivers her breakout novel: a captivating tale, set in Scotland in the early 1960s, that is both an homage and a modern variation on the enduring classic, Jane Eyre.

Fate has not been kind to Gemma Hardy. Orphaned by the age of ten, neglected by a bitter and cruel aunt, sent to a boarding school where she is both servant and student, young Gemma seems destined for a life of hardship and loneliness. Yet her bright spirit burns strong. Fiercely intelligent, singularly determined, Gemma overcomes each challenge and setback, growing stronger and more certain of her path. Now an independent young woman with dreams of the future, she accepts a position as an au pair on the remote and beautiful Orkney Islands. 


But Gemma's biggest trial is about to begin . . . a journey of passion and betrayal, secrets and lies, redemption and discovery that will lead her to a life she's never dreamed.


I am really excited about this book! I hadn't heard of it until I saw it on this month's Amazon Vine newsletter. I will be getting a review copy so I won't have to wait till January to read this Jane Eyre-inspired novel.


Article 5 by Kristen Simmons
Publication date: February 24, 2012

Description from Goodreads:

New York, Los Angeles, and Washington, DC have been abandoned. 

The Bill of Rights has been revoked, and replaced with the Moral Statutes. 

There are no more police—instead, there are soldiers. There are no more fines for bad behavior—instead, there are arrests, trials, and maybe worse. People who get arrested don’t usually come back. 

17-year-old Ember Miller is old enough to remember that things weren’t always this way. Living with her rebellious single mother, it’s hard to forget that people weren’t always arrested for reading the wrong books or staying out after dark. That life in the United States used to be different. 

In the three years since the war ended, Ember has perfected the art of keeping a low profile. She knows how to get the things she needs, like food stamps and hand-me-down clothes, and how to pass the random home inspections by the Federal Bureau of Reformation. Her life is as close to peaceful as circumstances allow. That is, until her mother is arrested for noncompliance with Article 5 of the Moral Statutes. And what’s worse, one of the arresting officers is none other than Chase Jennings…the only boy Ember has ever loved.

I am kind of cautiously optimistic about this book. It sounds like it could be good but we shall see...

8 comments:

  1. Oooh the both sound really good I'll have to add them to my tbr list, here's mine
    http://headstuckinabook.blogspot.com/2011/11/waiting-on-wednesday-6.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. They both sound really good, especially The Flight of Gemma Hardy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gemma Hardy definitely sounds like something I'd enjoy. Set in Scotland and based on Jane Eyre....yes, please! Great pick!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I like the sound of both of them! In one, a nod to the past; in the other, a glimpse of a horrific future.

    Thanks for sharing....

    Here's MY WOW POST and
    MY WEBSITE

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fab picks. I love the first one's cover.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I got Article 5 from Amazon Vine so I really hope it's good!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the sound of the first book! And Article 5 seems like it could be a great story too,

    Wonderful choices! :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am SO looking forward to Article 5! I've been super curious about it since I first saw the cover. I can't wait to check it out!

    ReplyDelete

Reading Extensively is now an award free blog. Thanks for stopping by! Please leave a comment. I enjoy receiving feedback! Due to increase in spam, I've enabled comment moderation. Sorry for any inconvenience!