Sunday, November 13, 2011

It's Monday, What Are You Reading (86)





It's Monday, What Are You Reading is a fun weekly meme hosted by Sheila at Book Journey where we share what we've read and reviewed over the past week and what we plan to read next.


I skipped last week's What Are You Reading since I was sick so this is two weeks worth of books. Even though I had a sore throat and cold, I was able to get some reading done. Unfortunately, I am behind on writing reviews!




Books read:




Poison Study by Maria V. Snyder


Even though I read the Glass series first, I still really enjoyed Poison Study. I liked being introduced again to Yelena, Valek, Janco, and Ari and I look forward to reading book two, Magic Study.



When She Woke by Hillary Jordan


At first I really liked this retelling of The Scarlet Letter and felt for Hannah and all she was going through. but then the plot took some bizarre turns. I thought the protagonist acted out of character and the story really lost focus and disappointed me in the end.



The Rose Garden by Susanna Kearsley


I love time travel novels and while I didn't think The Rose Garden was as good as The Winter Sea, I still really liked it even when it wasn't believable.



Alanna: The First Adventure by Tamora Pierce


I was just a bit disappointed with this book. I think because Alanna is so young and a little naive I found her to be annoying at times. It is still a good book and I hope that I will like the rest of the series more. 




Romancing Mister Bridgerton by Julia Quinn


Another fun historical romance by Julia Quinn! I really liked that the protagonist wasn't known as a beauty and that she was a wallflower. That made her more relatable and the romance more sweet. Now I know which author to try next time I am sick and need a good distraction.


Books reviewed:

The Son of Neptune by Rick Riordan





Currently reading:



Come Sunday by Isla Morley


I knew going into it that this book was going to be really sad. I am only on chapter three and this is a definite tearjerker! It is my evening book discussion's November pick.



Bright Young Things by Anna Godbersen


I was reading Bright Young Things on my Kindle when I realized that I have two book discussion books that I need to read by November 29th. I hate having to put this to the side because I am really enjoying it. My favorite character so far is Letty though Cordelia is also fun to read about. Will I like this book more than the Luxe series? Stay tuned...


What I plan to read next:




Sister of My Heart by Chitra Banerjee Divakaruni


I will be rereading this book because it is my afternoon book discussion group's November pick. It is a book I have read twice before (and I love it) but it has been awhile.



The Kitchen Daughter by Jael McHenry


I have started this book but haven't gotten very far yet. I love all the descriptions of food, the recipes, and the writing style.



Bellfield Hall by Anna Dean


I really need to read this soon! I have had it checked out from the library since August. Thankfully we get to keep our books for four weeks and renew them for four more weeks but time is running out. I just read a really good review of this from Mystica that makes me want to read the book even more!



So that is what I have planned for my week. 
What have you been reading and what do you hope to read next?

10 comments:

  1. So many good books! Yours is the first negative review I've read of WHEN SHE WOKE, so that's good to know. I just got BELLFIELD HALL from Paperbackswap.com and can't wait to read it, too!

    My favorite Tamora Pierce books are the Beka Cooper ones (Starting w/TERRIER) and Protector of the Small (Starting w/FIRST TEST). I didn't care for the Alanna ones as much, either.

    I'll have to try THE WINTER SEA. Thanks for the recs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad your feeling better, its not nice being sick but it is great to get more reading done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad your feeling better!

    LOVE Julia Quinn and that title in particular. The writing is excellent and you just love the Bridgerton family :)

    Awesome week! http://brunettelibrarian.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the sound of Bright Young Things, it's been on my TBR list for awhile. Glad to hear it's so good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. When She Woke is one I have been looking forward to. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really enjoyed The Kitchen Daughter - I hope you do as well. Glad you are feeling better also

    Shelleyrae @ Book'd Out

    ReplyDelete
  7. We have so many books in common, I really enjoyed Poison Study and Magic Study but still haven't read Fire Study. I've got both Susanna Kearsley books you mention waiting patiently for me and I love a good tear jerker so I think I'd better add Come Sunday to my wishlist :)
    Hope you're feeling 100% soon, I've got a little behind on reviews while sick too.
    Have a great week and happy reading :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm sorry you were disappointed with When She Woke...I did love it.

    Also enjoyed Come Sunday, but keep the Kleenex handy!

    Enjoy your week.

    Here's MY MONDAY MEMES POST and
    MY WEBSITE

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great books on your list - happy reading!

    ReplyDelete

Reading Extensively is now an award free blog. Thanks for stopping by! Please leave a comment. I enjoy receiving feedback! Due to increase in spam, I've enabled comment moderation. Sorry for any inconvenience!