Monday, November 14, 2011

Teaser Tuesdays (68)

Teaser Tuesdays is a weekly meme hosted by MizB at Should Be Reading. Anyone can play along! Just do the following:

Grab your current read
Open to a random page

Share two (2) “teaser” sentences from somewhere on that page

BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS! (make sure that what you share doesn’t give too much away! You don’t want to ruin the book for others!)

Share the title and author, too, so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR Lists if they like your teasers!




My teasers this week:

"'It's just that Greg has spent a decade hoping and praying I would be the perfect preacher's wife, who doesn't get her back up so easily. That I would turn out to be the superwife and the supermom. And every time I'm not, I swear Greg leaves me just an inch. You add up all those inches over time and see the miles you come up with.'" p.128

"'Life was easier to bear when I thought there was meaning to it, when there seemed to be reasons for why things happened or didn't happen. When life was one great algorithm. But it's not. Bad things happen, good things happen, then more bad things happen. There's no logic to it.'" p.129


Come Sunday by Isla Morley

Description from book:

Abbe is a restless young mother living on the outskirts of Honolulu with her husband, Greg, the pastor at a small church. Their lives are suddenly riven by tragedy when their three-year-old daughter, Cleo, is struck and killed by car. As Greg turns to God and community for comfort, Abbe turns inward and reflects upon her own troubled past.  Isla Morley brilliantly weaves the story of Abbe's grief with a gripping tale of her tempestuous childhood in apartheid South Africa---and how Abbe's father, a villainous drunk, held her family hostage for decades with his rage, until they finally began to plot their escape from him. Come Sundayis a spellbinding drama about a woman breaking free of her grief and of her past, and what it takes to revive hope when all seems lost. 

10 comments:

  1. Dropping by from Teaser Tuesday. Your teaser sounds good esp. as I am in Hawaii at the moment.http://junkboattravels.blogspot.com/2011/11/teaser-tuesdays-great-house-by-nicole.html
    Here's mine:

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the sound of this one. The teasers are definitely interesting! I hope it's as good as it seems. Thank you for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds sad and reflective but good. Great teasers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds very sad, but the teasers are really good.

    Here's my Teaser from Christmas Jars! ~ Wendi

    ReplyDelete
  5. How very sad! Here is my teaser for this week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great teasers. :)
    Here’s my Teaser Tuesday post. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the first tease line you listed. Sounds like a great read!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LOVED this book...and those two teasers reveal just enough of the sadness and feelings of hopelessness to reel us in. Thanks for sharing!

    Here's MY TT POST and
    MY WEBSITE

    ReplyDelete
  9. I haven't seen this book but it sounds good, maybe too sad though since I'm more in need of cheering up lately!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great teaser, sounds like a sad read.

    http://tributebooksmama.blogspot.com/2011/11/teaser-tuesday_15.html

    ReplyDelete

Reading Extensively is now an award free blog. Thanks for stopping by! Please leave a comment. I enjoy receiving feedback! Due to increase in spam, I've enabled comment moderation. Sorry for any inconvenience!