Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Waiting on Wednesday (74)

"Waiting on" Wednesday is a weekly meme to discuss upcoming books we can't wait to get our hands on. Waiting on Wednesday is hosted by Jill at Breaking the Spine.


This week, I'm waiting on:


The Springsweet by Saundra Mitchell
Publication date: April 17, 2012

Description from Goodreads:

It’s a long way from Baltimore to Oklahoma Territory. But Zora Stewart will go any distance to put the tragic events of her sixteenth summer behind her. So this city girl heads to the tiny frontier town of West Glory to help her young widowed aunt keep her homestead going.
When another Baltimorean shows up in West Glory, Zora couldn’t be more surprised. Theo de la Croix made the long trip out west hoping to court Zora, whom he has long admired from afar.
But Zora has developed an attraction to a rather less respectable fellow: Emerson Birch, a rough-mannered young "sooner" whose fertile land is coveted.
As Zora begins to suspect that there may be more than luck behind Emerson’s good land, she discovers an extraordinary, astonishing power of her own: the ability to sense water under the parched earth. When her aunt hires her out as a "springsweet" to advise other settlers where to dig their wells, Zora feels the burden of holding the key to something so essential to survival in this unforgiving land.
Even more, she finds herself longing for love the way the prairie thirsts for water. Maybe, in the wildness of the territories, Zora can finally move beyond simply surviving and start living.
I really liked The Vespertine and I am eager to read this companion novel.


Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking by Susan Cain
Publication date: January 24, 2012

Description from Goodreads:

At least one-third of the people we know are introverts. They are the ones who prefer listening to speaking, reading to partying; who invent and create but prefer not to pitch their own ideas; who favor working on their own over brainstorming in teams. Although they are often labeled “quiet,” it is to introverts we owe many of the great contributions to society—from Van Gogh’s sunflowers to the invention of the personal computer. 

Passionately argued, impressively researched, and filled with the indelible stories of real people, Quiet shows how dramatically we undervalue introverts, and how much we lose in doing so. Susan Cain charts the rise of “the extrovert ideal” over the twentieth century and explores its far-reaching effects—how it helps to determine everything from how parishioners worship to who excels at Harvard Business School. And she draws on cutting-edge research on the biology and psychology of temperament to reveal how introverts can modulate their personalities according to circumstance, how to empower an introverted child, and how companies can harness the natural talents of introverts. This extraordinary book has the power to permanently change how we see introverts and, equally important, how they see themselves.

I am very excited about this book! Though it takes me a long time to get through nonfiction books, I really want to read this as I am a major introvert. Early buzz is really good!

14 comments:

  1. I'm really interested in the introvert book too-as an introvert, would love to pick up some tips. But I want to focus on my YA and review books reading before I dive into non-fiction. Thus I must keep this in mind and hopefully I'll see your review at some point.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed The Vespertine and I have the ARC for The Springsweet in my reading pile but I need to get to reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I still need to read Vespertine. I love the covers for these novels!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting as I've never heard of these books or authors. I like discovering new books.

    Grace
    Grace
    Livre De Amour-Books of Love Blog

    ReplyDelete
  5. Quiet sounds really interesting. I haven't yet read the Vespertine but I want to!

    Giselle
    Xpresso Reads

    ReplyDelete
  6. Both sound wonderful and intriguing...thanks for sharing.

    Here's MY WOW POST and
    MY WEBSITE

    ReplyDelete
  7. Quiet looks really interesting~ thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice picks. I love the first cover too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've actually never heard of these!

    My WoW

    ReplyDelete
  10. I thought The Vespertine was pretty entertaining, so I am looking forward to Springsweet too. Love the cover! Great pick, Christina!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good picks this week :) I hadn't heard of either but they look awesome.

    http://brunettelibrarian.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. I still have The Vespertine waiting for me on my book shelf. I hope to read it in December so I'll be ready for this one! Great choice!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I SO can't wait to get my hands on The Springsweet! I really enjoyed The Vespertine. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like the cover! It's very pretty!! The story sounds very good. Great pick! Thank you for sharing!

    Sam
    Books For All Seasons

    ReplyDelete

Reading Extensively is now an award free blog. Thanks for stopping by! Please leave a comment. I enjoy receiving feedback! Due to increase in spam, I've enabled comment moderation. Sorry for any inconvenience!