Saturday, October 6, 2012

Review: The Lost Hero

The Lost Hero 
By Rick Riordan
Published: October 12, 2010

My review:

The Lost Hero is the first book in a spin off series from the Percy Jackson and the Olympians books. At the end of The Last Olympian, a new prophecy was made and this book reveals more about that prophecy and the people involved in it. At the beginning of the story, Jason, Piper, and Leo are three teenage demigods who are brought to Camp Half-Blood after they are attacked on a school field trip. Jason is suffering from amnesia and Piper's dad has been taken by an evil enemy. The three friends must undertake a quest and dangerous rescue mission to save the world from destruction.

Percy Jackson may be missing but there is plenty of adventure, danger, and Rick Riordan's trademark humor in this book. I wasn't sure that I would like a new set of characters as much as the originals but the author's decision to write from multiple points of view really works to distinguish Jason and Leo from Percy. I also loved how conflicted the characters were. All three of them had insecurities, doubts, and flaws, as well as strengths. That made them more likable as characters that the reader could root for. 

The addition of Roman mythology to the story really made things interesting. I didn't find it hard to figure out the surprise about Jason's past but that didn't bother me. I found myself thoroughly entertained as I read. One thing that I particularly liked was the friendships of the characters and seeing them grow more confident. As much fun as the story was, it was the characters that really stood out to me. I also have to mention that I am glad to see a greater racial diversity in Rick Riordan's characters both in this series and the Kane Chronicles. 

If you are a fan of the original series, I think you will be pleased with this sequel. Overall I think this series will be a worthy successor to the Percy Jackson books and I look forward to reading more about Jason, Piper, and Leo (as well as Percy and Annabeth) in future books. 

3 comments:

  1. Oh cool-I like the sound of adding Roman mythology; admittedly I don't know much about how it all differentiates from Greek but it sounds like a fun way for younger readers to first be introduced while refreshing us older readers' minds while also just being a fun book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad that it's a great addition to the Percy Jackson books! I'm also glad that there's diversity with the characters too, more YA and MG books need to include that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually didn't know this was an actual spin off of the first series. that is so cool that the author is able to give the readers more from that world. I reeeeeeally need to read the first book!

    ReplyDelete

Reading Extensively is now an award free blog. Thanks for stopping by! Please leave a comment. I enjoy receiving feedback! Due to increase in spam, I've enabled comment moderation. Sorry for any inconvenience!