Sunday, October 28, 2012

It's Monday, What Are You Reading (123)



It's Monday, What Are You Reading is a fun weekly meme hosted by Sheila at Book Journey where we share what we've read and reviewed over the past week and what we plan to read next.

I decided to take a break from blogging last week since I was so busy with other things and it was kind of nice (but I'm glad to be back!). I did write a review to be posted later this week but I am behind on writing reviews for NetGalley and Amazon Vine. This week I am hoping to read some of those books I requested so I can start to get caught up.


Books read:



I read this for my evening book group's October selection and I thought it was fantastic! I had never heard of Mary Bowser before and it was interesting to learn about her life. I am looking forward to my book discussion later this week to find out what the others thought.


Ruby Red by Kerstin Gier

I reread this book so that everything would be fresh in my mind when I picked up the sequel. It certainly helped me to remember. 


Sapphire Blue by Kerstin Gier

I liked this sequel though the romance annoyed me at times. I am looking forward to finding out what happens in the final book, Emerald Green.


Hidden by Sophie Jordan

A good conclusion to the Firelight series. I hope Sophie Jordan will write more YA books-maybe some YA historical romance will be next. I will have to try her books for adults in the meantime.


Books reviewed:


The Mark of Athena by Rick Riordan
With Every Letter by Sarah Sundin


Currently reading:



The Art of Hearing Heartbeats by Jan-Philipp Sendker

This is my afternoon book group's October selection and I am under deadline to finish it by Tuesday afternoon! So far I sort of like it but I am going to have to push myself to finish on time. 


What I might read next:


Princess Elizabeth's Spy by Susan Elia MacNeal

I will be picking this up the moment I finish my current book. I loved the first book in this mystery series and I've already started reading this (but had to put it aside to read the book group book). I look forward to reading about Queen Elizabeth as a young girl during WWII.


Falling Kingdoms by Morgan Rhodes

I requested this from NetGalley and since it will be published in December, I want to read it sometime soon so I can review it in time. I have read some positive reviews from other bloggers so hopefully I will like it.


Cinders and Sapphires by Leila Rasheed

This is another book I requested for review and though it won't be published till next year, I am eager to read it as it is set in the same time as Downton Abbey. I hope I will like it much more than Wentworth Hall!


The Shadowy Horses by Susanna Kearsley

I loved The Winter Sea and liked Mariana and The Rose Garden so I am hopeful that I will really enjoy this book too.  I love reading about Scotland and I've read some really positive reviews. 


The American Heiress by Daisy Goodwin

I have had this ARC on my TBR shelf for quite awhile. It was released more than a year ago and while I started to read it, I never made time to finish it. My goal is to read it by the end of the year!


So what have you been reading and what do you plan to read next?

17 comments:

  1. I read The American Heiress and loved it! I'm curious to find out what you think of the book. Enjoy your reading this week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've read The Shadowy Horses and The American Heiress and enjoyed them both. I hope you do too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is some great variety on your list this week, I hope you get The Art of Hearing Heartbeats finished on time.

    Wishing you a great reading week,

    Shelleyrae @ Book'd out

    ReplyDelete
  4. So cool to hear about Mary Bowser-I was not familiar with her but it looks like something I would love! Thanks for sharing. Looking forward to your review of Hidden-it was a quick read right?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those are all new to me titles. I hope you enjoy them. Except for the abundance of CYBILS reading, things are back to normal. My favorite book was How to Wash a Cat by Rebecca M. Hale. Please come see what I'm reading now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great books this week. I read The American Heiress last year and really enjoyed it...I hope you do, too!

    Have a great week!
    ~Kristin @ Always With a Book

    ReplyDelete
  7. I often get annoyed when I feel like I have to finish books by a certain time and I don't enjoy the book as much. Sigh. Hope that doesn't happen to you.

    Here's my It's Monday! What Are You Reading? I hope you will stop in and say hello.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Among all the titles you have here, The Art of Hearing Heartbeats caught my eye. All these are unfamiliar books to me, thanks for sharing them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks like you're going to have a busy reading week :-) Hope you enjoy all your reads this week like you did last week.

    Tanya Patrice
    Girlxoxo.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oo so many of these books sound good! I definitely want to read Cinders and Sapphires and The American Heiress. :)

    I can't wait until Downton is back on! My friend is watching it now, and loves it. She also met Dan Stevens last week - she went to see his play The Heiress in New York and met him after the show! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. These all look very tempting! The American Heiress is one I've been wanting to read.

    Here's MY MONDAY MEMES POST

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great list. I am reading Sapphire Blue right now. I didn't reread Ruby Red so I was a bit lost when I began. I am half done now and things are picking up. I think the idea of time travel is what is making this story confusing for me. Have a great reading week.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I also bought a copy of American Heiress and want to read it soon. I hope it's good. I am hoping to finish the Firelight series soon as well. I really liked Firelight and Jordan is definitely one of my new-to-me favorite YA authors. Enjoy all your books!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've had Mary Bowser on my TBR list for awhile, glad to hear you enjoyed it!!!

    Isn't it amazing how easy it is to lose track of those ARCs? I have quite a few sitting on my shelves too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That Mary Bower book is on my radar, it sounds so good!

    Happy Reading!
    The Relentless Reader

    ReplyDelete
  16. Have a great week of reading I hope to read Ruby Red soon as I've read such good reviews. Loved Shadowy Horses, hope you do as well.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I loved Mary Bowser too! Just finished Princess Elizabeth's Spy and that one was pretty good as well.

    ReplyDelete

Reading Extensively is now an award free blog. Thanks for stopping by! Please leave a comment. I enjoy receiving feedback! Due to increase in spam, I've enabled comment moderation. Sorry for any inconvenience!