Sunday, October 14, 2012

It's Monday, What Are You Reading (122)



It's Monday, What Are You Reading is a fun weekly meme hosted by Sheila at Book Journey where we share what we've read and reviewed over the past week and what we plan to read next.

This past weekend, I was able to participate in Dewey's 24 Hour Read-a-Thon and though I didn't read for as many hours as I'd originally planned, I did make a dent in my TBR pile.



Books read:




The Mark of Athena by Rick Riordan

This was a fantastic entry in the Heroes of Olympus series though I wish it didn't end of a cliffhanger. Now we have to wait till October 2013 to find out what happens next in The House of Hades.




I usually enjoy Julia Quinn's books when I'm in the mood for a humorous (if predictable) romance novel and I thought this fit the bill perfectly for the read-a-thon.



I have never read Rhys Bowen's mystery series but I am going to have to remedy that. This is a novella set a few years before the events in Her Royal Spyness. While it isn't a true mystery, it introduces the main character of the series, Lady Georgiana Rannoch and it made me want to give this series a try.


Mr. Churchill's Secretary by Susan Elia MacNeal

I thought this was a great historical mystery set during WWII. The protagonist, Maggie Hope, has a tough time of proving herself in a "man's world" as she starts her new job at 10 Downing Street as a typist for Winston Churchill.


Endure by Carrie Jones

This is the final book in the Need series by Carrie Jones and I thought it wrapped up the series really well. I was happy with how things ended.



Currently reading:




Ruby Red by Kerstin Gier (reread)

I liked this book quite a bit when I read it last year and I thought I'd reread it before starting the sequel Sapphire Blue




What I plan to read next:




Sapphire Blue by Kerstin Gier

I hope this book will live up to Ruby Red. The book description says that her love interest is hot and cold in his behavior towards her which I hate so we shall see. Hopefully the mystery and humor will be enough to keep me invested!




This is a selection for one of my book discussion groups this month and I'm really looking forward to it. It is a historical fiction novel about a real woman who was a slave, was granted her freedom, and then returned to the South to spy on Jefferson Davis for the Union. It sounds fascinating!


Hidden by Sophie Jordan

I'm not sure if I'll get to this book this week but I'd like to read it soon since it is due back at the library.

10 comments:

  1. Glad you had a successful read-a-thon! Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on all the books you read during the readathon! I never manage to make it far during those, I get distracted!

    I keep meaning to start the Need series, they look so interesting, glad to hear you enjoyed the way it ended :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I like all the books that you read. Glad you enjoyed them.
    Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You should definitely check out Her Royal Spyness-such fun mysteries and I love the 30s setting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Secrets of Mary Bowser sounds like a good read...will be looking forward to reading your review of it.

    I wanted to do the read-a-thon, but wasn't able to hopefully next time!

    ReplyDelete
  6. May I have all your books? I love Julia Quinn and Rhys Bowen.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Super read-a-thon!! Must read Endure so I can tick another series off my list. The Secrets of Mary Bowser sounds like my cup of tea, looking forward to your thoughts on it.
    Have a great week and happy reading :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Secrets of Mary Bowser sounds super!!

    Yay for the Readathon, I had such a great time ;)

    The Relentless Reader

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is such a nice mixed pile of reads.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the cover for Sapphire Blue! The Secrets of Mary Bowser looks like an interesting story too.

    Hope you enjoy your books :)

    ReplyDelete

Reading Extensively is now an award free blog. Thanks for stopping by! Please leave a comment. I enjoy receiving feedback! Due to increase in spam, I've enabled comment moderation. Sorry for any inconvenience!