Thursday, November 18, 2010

The Magic





There is something magical about discovering fantastic books and reading them for the first time. I experienced it with The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe, The Lord of the Rings, and even more so with Harry Potter.This Friday, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part I hits the big screen and I can't wait to see it. At the same time I am a little sad because I know that this is the beginning of the end. In celebration of the movie release I have been rereading the books and watching the movies. I am currently rereading Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone. It has been awhile since I reread it (2008 I think) and I can't help but reflect on how I felt when I first started reading the books. 


I loved how Harry had that sense of wonder when Hagrid tells him that he is a wizard and when he first visits Diagon Alley and Hogwarts. Everything is a new experience and in the same way, being introduced to the world J.K. Rowling created was a new experience for me as a reader. I didn't start reading the books until 2003 when my sister convinced me that I should give them a try. It wasn't long until I was hooked! Listening to the audiobooks and watching the movies only added to my enjoyment.


Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone is a visual treat even if I prefer the darker themes and better acting in the later movies. The sense of wonder and magic from the book was perfectly captured and I enjoyed experiencing it along with Harry. Each time a new movie was released I eagerly looked forward to seeing it even though I knew that I'd be disappointed that some fantastic moment from the book didn't make it in. The movies still captured some of the magic of the books.


Although we've known the end of the story since 2007 I still feel like the journey isn't over until I've seen both parts of Deathly Hallows and any deleted scenes there may be on the DVDs. For me I still have at least one year to go until the magic is finally over. I comfort myself with the thought that I will watch the movies and reread the books many times in the years to come. 


Have you ever felt that way about a series of books or movies? 

3 comments:

  1. Agreed! Isn't the latest Narnia due out soon? I can't wait :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw the movie last night and it is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The only time I felt this way was with V.C. Andrews' series (the originals, not the ghostwritten ones). I was eager to read them all as well as reread them.

    ReplyDelete

Reading Extensively is now an award free blog. Thanks for stopping by! Please leave a comment. I enjoy receiving feedback! Due to increase in spam, I've enabled comment moderation. Sorry for any inconvenience!