Thursday, April 1, 2010

Character Connection (1)


Character Connection is a new meme hosted by Jennifer at The Introverted Reader. The purpose of the meme is to highlight characters that we love.  Today in honor of April Fool's Day (which happens to be their birthday) I am spotlighting some characters I'd love to hang out with.

Fred and George Weasley

 Fred and George Weasley are two of my favorite characters from the Harry Potter series. The redheaded twins are incredibly funny and they usually provide comic relief in the books with their pranks, practical jokes, and quips.

Fred Weasley in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Ch. 22, p. 359-360:

"For instance, this new idea that You-Know-Who can kill with a single glance from his eyes. That's a Basilisk, listeners. One simple test: check whether the thing that's glaring at you has got legs. If it has, it's safe to look into its eyes, although if it really is You-Know-Who, that's still likely to be the last thing you ever do." 

"Point is, people, don't get lulled into a false sense of security, thinking he's out of the country. Maybe he is, maybe he isn't, but the fact remains he can move faster than Severus Snape confronted with shampoo when he wants to, so don't count on him being a long way away if you're planning on taking any risks."

I love these quotes because they come at a particularly dark time in the final book where Harry has been going through a lot and then for the first time in months because of Fred, he finds himself laughing and it helps to lift the oppressive heaviness.

Fred and George are more than just the comic relief. They are also very intelligent businessmen who have opened up a very successful joke shop, Weasley's Wizard Wheezes and they are brave members of Dumbledore's Army, learning to fight Death Eaters and injustice.

I think the Weasley twins would make fantastic friends. They might tease you and play all kinds of practical jokes on you but they'd have your back in a fight and you'd never have a dull moment with them around!

Happy Birthday (and April Fool's Day) Fred and George!

If you have a favorite character you'd like to share, visit The Introverted Reader to participate in Character Connection.


6 comments:

  1. I love Fred and George, or the whole Weasley family for that matter. It must be something about the hair...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, great post! I love these characters, too. They're such an important part of the Harry Potter series - what would it be like without them?

    Emidy
    from Une Parole

    ReplyDelete
  3. I adore these guys! They're some of the best secondary characters out there. They always seem to make me laugh when I need it. Great post! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the Weasley Family! Great choice!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A perfect choice for April Fool's Day. These two add a much needed comic element to HP. Imagine how dark the books would have been without the joy and laughter of the Weasleys. I just love them all. I'm not sure I want to try their Puking Pastels though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't remember that their birthday was April Fool's Day. What a perfect choice! I do love Fred and George and all their pranks.

    ReplyDelete

Reading Extensively is now an award free blog. Thanks for stopping by! Please leave a comment. I enjoy receiving feedback! Due to increase in spam, I've enabled comment moderation. Sorry for any inconvenience!