Tuesday, November 1, 2016

Top Ten Books to Read if Your Book Group Likes...


Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created at The Broke and the Bookish. There is a new subject each week and this week's theme is "Top Ten Books To Read If Your Book Group Likes..."

I have been running two book groups for five years now and while both book groups have their different reading tastes, sometimes we get tired of reading the darker or sadder stories typically considered "book group books"  and we need something a little more lighthearted (not that these are all "happy" books). 

These are my picks for books that are either lighthearted or have funny/quirky characters


A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman
The 100 Year Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared by Jonas Jonasson
My Grandmother Asked Me To Tell You She's Sorry by Fredrik Backman
The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion
The Tower, the Zoo and the Tortoise by Julia Stuart



The Supremes at Earl's All-You-Can-Eat by Edward Kelsey Moore
The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry by Gabrielle Zevin 
Saving CeeCee Honeycutt by Beth Hoffman
Major Pettigrew's Last Stand by Helen Simonson
The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry by Rachel Joyce




8 comments:

  1. You've picked quite a few that my book group also enjoyed! (Notably Ove and Rosie). I'll have to check out your other suggestions.

    Here's my list - https://booksaremyfavouriteandbest.wordpress.com/2016/11/01/top-books-for-book-groups-that-like-wine-and-whining/

    ReplyDelete
  2. A Man Called Ove sounds so good. I really want to read that one soon. Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great pick, Christina! I really want to read The Rosie Project. I think Saving Cee Cee would be a great read for a book club!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My book club enjoyed A Man Called Ove. I would like my group to read more dark, emotional books. Can you recommend any that was great discussion? I am giving them Behind Closed Doors next month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you're looking for more crime/psychological thrillers or suspenseful stories: The Weight of Blood by Laura McHugh, Crooked Letter, Crooked Letter by Tom Franklin, The Mourning Hours by Paula Treick DeBoard, Before I Go to Sleep by S.J. Watson, and Ordinary Grace by William Kent Krueger.

      Delete
  5. Sometimes you need a lighter read! I think The Rosie Project would be a good choice, I've heard a lot of favorable things about that one. I think it has a nice bit of humor too?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've read a couple of these and almost all the rest are on my to-read list! I've never heard of "The Tower, the Zoo and the Tortoise," but I'm intrigued by the title!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I adored the Rosie Project and its sequel and the Story of Aj Fikry was also enjoyable. I hear nothing but great things about Man named Ove which was recently released as a movie.

    ReplyDelete

Reading Extensively is now an award free blog. Thanks for stopping by! Please leave a comment. I enjoy receiving feedback! Due to increase in spam, I've enabled comment moderation. Sorry for any inconvenience!