Sunday, November 20, 2016

Sunday Post (70) / It's Monday, What Are You Reading



The Sunday Post is a weekly meme hosted by Kimberly @ Caffeinated Book Reviewer. It’s a post to recap the past week, showcase books and things we have received and share news about what is coming up on our blog for the week ahead. It's Monday, What Are You Reading is a fun weekly meme now hosted by Kathryn at Book Date, where we share what we've read and reviewed over the past week and what we plan to read next.

Well it looks like winter is here, sort of. Friday was such a beautiful day and it was nearly 80 outside but then Saturday was so cold and we got the first snow of the season. That makes me worried for what the winter will be like if we are already getting snow in November! I had planned to buy some snow tires for my car before getting some bad news. I need new regular tires and there are some other important repairs that have to be done. All together it is going to be over $3,000. Not sure my car is worth it. Ugh. On the bright side, it is Thanksgiving week so I am thinking of all the things I can be thankful for like my family and a job that I love. I've also been reading some holiday books which helps to lift my spirits.

This Tuesday I will be going on a book shopping trip to Barnes & Noble (for the library) to spend my leftover book budget. Then on Wednesday I'll be heading to my parents' house for Thanksgiving. Since we already celebrated it last weekend it will be a quiet holiday. I'm sure we'll be watching Gilmore Girls: A Year in the Life on Black Friday. I'm really looking forward to it. 


So I saw Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them. I liked the movie but it was definitely very different from the Harry Potter films and even the magic was different. It was interesting to see some of the creatures from the Harry Potter books on screen. My favorite was the niffler. It was adorable though I certainly wouldn't want to have one in my home! The story had some interesting parts but some of the creature sequences were kind of slow and felt dragged out. I kind of wish J.K. Rowling had written a series of books featuring Newt but the movies are the next best thing I guess.

Happy Thanksgiving!


via GIPHY





Last week on my blog:




Victoria by Daisy Goodwin (review)



Books read:



What Light by Jay Asher

This was a sweet romance and I loved reading about the Christmas tree farm and lot. This was the first book I read for the Ho Ho Ho Readathon. 



Miracle on 5th Avenue by Sarah Morgan

I wanted to read this for the readathon and I liked one of her other Christmas romance novels, Sleigh Bells in the Snow. I liked this book too but something was bugging me while I read and it wasn't till after I finished that I realized it was the heroine. She didn't seem to have any flaws. She came across as this angelic but flat character unlike the hero who had more depth.



A December Bride by Denise Hunter

This has been made into a Hallmark movie which was part of the reason that I read it. The main character, Layla, has to attend the wedding of her cousin to her ex fiance. She is desperate to find someone to go with her when her date gets sick. She ends up going with Seth, the groom's best friend. They have a complicated history but when Layla's cousin (the bride) makes some mean digs, Seth lies and says he and Layla are engaged and things just snowball from there. I liked the story but I thought there were some threads that weren't tied up and the ending was rushed.
  


Sweetshop of Dreams by Jenny Colgan

I loved this book! It did remind me of The Bookshop on the Corner but strangely I liked it more. Probably because I wasn't as big a fan of the romance in that book. I really liked that in addition to Rosie's story we also got to know about her great aunt when she was a young woman during WWII. I ended up buying the sequel. Hopefully it will be as good. The author certainly romanticizes small town life but it is so enjoyable to read about.



Books listened to:



The Throne of Fire by Rick Riordan (reread)




Currently reading:



The Gilded Cage by Lucinda Riley

This is an interesting YA gothic mystery about an American teen and her brother who find out that their wealthy British grandfather has died and they are his heirs. Overnight their lives are changed but things are not they seem at Walthingam and something terrible happens. While it is obvious to me who the "bad guy" is early on, it is still an intriguing story and I'm curious to see how Katherine will get herself out of danger.



Currently listening to:




The Serpent's Shadow by Rick Riordan (reread)



On my TBR pile:


Alterations by Stephanie Scott



Spinning Starlight by R.C. Lewis


Stalking Jack the Ripper by Kerri Maniscalco


The Mistletoe Secret by Richard Paul Evans




New books received:




Miracle on 5th Avenue by Sarah Morgan (for review)


A Twist in Time by Julie McElwain (for review)

Christmas at Rosie Hopkins' Sweetshop by Jenny Colgan (purchased)

The Mistletoe Secret by Richard Paul Evans (library book)

God Bless Us Every One by Eva Marie Everson (library book)

The Goodbye Bride by Denise Hunter (library book)

Can't Help Falling by Kara Isaac (library book)


20 comments:

  1. The weather is certainly crazy this year. What a wonderful book list, I think I'm going to check out Stalking Jack the Ripper that looks interesting. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear you about winter's sudden arrival. We were outside most of yesterday (almost 70 degrees) and then Saturday night we had sleet! Ugh. I hope you have a great Thanksgiving week though. Enjoy that trip to B&N. That sounds fun! I also look forward to your thoughts on Stalking Jack the Ripper. I have a copy of that one on my shelf. Have a great Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW. You got a lot of books this week. I hope you love all of them.

    Grace @ Books of Love

    ReplyDelete
  4. From 80's to snow! And here I thought our ten degree drop in one day was a lot. I am sorry for your car troubles. We went through that a couple years ago and had to replace our car as the expense of getting our old one fixed just wasn't worth it.

    A trip to Barnes and Noble sounds like a real treat. I hope you find some great books to add to your library.

    I really want to see Fantastic Beasts. I am glad you liked it, despite the slow parts.

    I loved Sleigh Bells in the Snow and am looking forward to Miracle on 5th Avenue. That's too bad about the heroine being overly perfect. That tends to bug me too.

    My daughter circled the Rick Riordan books in her Scholastic catalog, which I thought was funny. She's only five. I am tempted to get them anyway so I can read them or maybe we can read them together. I'm not sure she's ready for those yet, but maybe.

    I hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving, Christina! Take care.



    ReplyDelete
  5. We have some cooler weather headed our way, too.

    I second your wish that J. K. Rowling write some actual books, but it seems like she's more interested in movies and plays right now.

    Yay, Rick Riordan!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice book selections; they all sound interesting. I'm excited to see Fantastic Beasts but will probably see it when it comes out on blu-ray. Happy Thanksgiving! ~Aleen

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Thanksgiving! Sorry to hear about your car. There is nothing worse than finding out you have to sink thousands of dollars! We didn't get snow, but it did go from the 70s to the 30s in a day. I'm not ready for winter. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry to hear about the car issues. That stuff is always so expensive. :( And the same thing here w/ winter- it went from 60's on Friday to 30's yesterday and we got snow and wind and even hail. Ugh. Not a lot of snow, but enough to cover the ground in spots.

    I'm looking forward to Fantastic Beasts, it looks fun.

    Have a great Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm interested in the Jenny Colgan books since I've been seeing them around on blogs. Sometimes we need a sweet if somewhat implausible read. I'm thinking about A Twist in Time. I enjoy time-travel books but good ones that catch my interest are few and far between.

    Enjoy your Thanksgiving, even without the dinner again. I'm also looking forward to the Gilmore Girls show.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm looking forward to The Gilmore Girls as well!

    Sorry to hear about your car. I recently had to spend $1000 on something or other for the brakes and was a bit shocked at the unexpected expense, but I like that you're focussing on the other stuff you can be grateful for. I need to do more of that.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm making a note of Sweetshop of Dreams. I have just started listening to her Bookshop on the Corner although it has a different title in the England version which we get.
    Yikes snow! And car expenses, wow they sound a little overwhelming.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can't wait to watch Fantastic Beasts! It sounds as though you enjoyed it even though it wasn't what you expected?

    I was actually chatting about Rick Riordan books yesterday - I have a few that I need to read and I enjoy his fast paced adventure.

    I hope you enjoy Stalking Jack the Ripper - I've seen good things about it and it's on my TBR.

    Have a lovely week!

    ReplyDelete
  13. So many pretty covers! What Light, Gilded Cage, Throne of Fire, look amazing! I hope you enjoy your books.

    My It's Monday! What Are You Reading? post.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, lots of delightful looking books! I'm curious about Alterations.

    I'll also be watching Gilmore Girls: A Year in the Life on Black Friday. I definitely won't be shopping! lol.

    Thanks for sharing, and enjoy your week. Hope everything works out with the car.

    Here are MY WEEKLY UPDATES

    ReplyDelete
  15. Enjoy your Thanksgiving. This sudden cold weather has been a reality check for me!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I do want to see "Fantastic Beasts," but I'm not sure if my kids are quite ready for it yet. However, the hubs and I may sneak out to see it when his family is visiting (and we have babysitters!)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sorry to hear about your car! I am eager to see Fantastic Beasts and may be able to fit it in over Thanksgiving break since I am not able to travel this year. Come see my week here. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Happy Thanksgiving. Enjoy spending the rest of your budget on books. Fun!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow there are some lovely looking covers here, great selection. I do love Jenny Colgan. I also recently entered a Goodreads giveaway for Can't Help Falling - it looks like my kind of read!
    Have a great week, happy reading all those lovely books :-)
    Amanda @ Mrs B's Book Reviews

    ReplyDelete

Reading Extensively is now an award free blog. Thanks for stopping by! Please leave a comment. I enjoy receiving feedback! Due to increase in spam, I've enabled comment moderation. Sorry for any inconvenience!