Sunday, November 13, 2016

Sunday Post (69) / It's Monday, What Are You Reading



The Sunday Post is a weekly meme hosted by Kimberly @ Caffeinated Book Reviewer. It’s a post to recap the past week, showcase books and things we have received and share news about what is coming up on our blog for the week ahead. It's Monday, What Are You Reading is a fun weekly meme now hosted by Kathryn at Book Date, where we share what we've read and reviewed over the past week and what we plan to read next.

Boy was it a long week and a pretty depressing one for a lot of us but I'm trying to find the silver lining where I can. I'm currently visiting my parents for the long weekend and we've been bingewatching The Crown. I am interested in all things Britain, especially the royal family and I admire Queen Elizabeth a lot. It is fascinating to learn more about the first year of her reign.

Today is my family's Thanksgiving. I will be making mashed sweet potatoes with maple syrup and pecans. My sister is bringing a Paleo pumpkin pie and my mom will be roasting the turkey and making some other vegetable sides like green beans with sesame seeds. Last year that didn't even make it to the table because my sister and I were hungry :)




Yesterday my mom and I tried out the sock snowman craft for a trial run. My library craft night is next month but these cute little guys will be good for advertising it. My sock snowman is Harry Potter. I had these long Gryffindor socks that I never wore and decided to sacrifice them to the cause. I drew a little lightning bolt on Snowman Harry Potter's forehead to make him more recognizable.



Last week on my blog:








Books read:



Crosstalk by Connie Willis

I really enjoyed this book! The basic premise is that there is a new procedure that will allow couples to sense each other's emotions but for Briddey, it backfires and she can hear someone else--the annoying tech guy at her office. There is satirical comedy as well as romance. One of my favorites for 2016 I think.


The Beauty of Darkness by Mary E. Pearson

Although I read some mixed reviews, I thought this was a good conclusion to the series.



Currently reading:



Miracle on 5th Avenue by Sarah Morgan

I decided to read this when I signed up for the Ho Ho Ho Readathon. I've enjoyed the author's other romance novels. My favorite is Sleighbells in the Snow. So far this one is entertaining. 



Currently listening to:



The Throne of Fire by Rick Riordan (reread)

I should be finishing this today and then I'm going to start The Serpent's Shadow.




On my TBR list:


What Light by Jay Asher


Alterations by Stephanie Scott


The Gilded Cage by Lucinda Gray


Sweetshop of Dreams by Jenny Colgan




New books received:


The Sun is Also a Star by Nicola Yoon (library book)

Miracle on 5th Avenue by Sarah Morgan (for review)


18 comments:

  1. It has been a sad week....I agree. I am hoping for better days. :) I hope you and your family have a great Thanksgiving. I love the sock craft you guys made. Too cute! I also look forward to your thoughts on What Light. Have a great week, Christina!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm still looking for that silver lining, too... Enough said; we need to spread kindness where we can.

    That's great that you had your Thanksgiving meal and the foods mentioned... yum! I'm wondering about the green bean and sesame, so I'll google that to see how to make it. I'm in the market for a healthy version of green bean casserole for my Thanksgiving this month.

    I've heard praise for Sarah Morgan lately. I need to check one of her books out and see what her style is. Enjoy the rest of your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What Light looks so good...enjoy it and all your upcoming reads!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope you enjoy your holiday dinner. Those snowmen are so cute. Great job.
    sherry @ fundinmental My Sunday Memes

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have a great Thanksgiving! Sounds yummy. And I've heard good things about the Crown- people seem to be really loving it. I may have to give it a try. I like most things England too. :)

    Crosslight sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lots of new books that are also on my TBR list. The snowmen are very cute.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What Light is a pretty cover. I just realized I never did my review for Nicola Yoon's Everything Everything book, sigh. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've heard good things about Sarah Morgan. I'll have to be sure to check her books out!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those sock snowmen are too cute. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The snowmen are adorable.

    I couldn't get past Katherine Kellgren's performance in The Red Pyramid, so I wasn't able to finish listening to that series. I still have to finish reading them.

    Sunday Summary #28

    ReplyDelete
  11. The pumpkin pie sounds interesting. We normally eat so much at Thanksgiving there is no room for desert!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love those sock snowmen, which reminded me of my childhood, when my mom made dolls for me out of socks.

    Enjoy your reading...and I also have added The Crown to my Netflix queue, as I love British shows. Haven't started watching yet.

    Thanks for sharing....

    Here are MY WEEKLY UPDATES

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your sock snowmen are adorable! I'm glad you're enjoying the Sarah Morgan book. I liked her Puffin Island series, and the O'Neill brothers series too. Crosstalk sounds interesting; Connie Wills always comes up with the most intriguing ideas. One of these days, I really must read her books.

    Have a lovely Thanksgiving with your family, and a great week of reading!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Have a good week. Your dinner sounds really good.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your snowmen are adorable. Enjoy your Thanksgiving--and the Nicola Yoon too ( I can't wait to read that one!)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yummy thanksgiving food, those beans sound like 'pick me up and eat me'. I enjoyed Sarah Morgan's book, nice light christmas reading. Love the sock snowman, Harry needs glasses!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Cute sock snowmen. I am looking forward to our school Thanksgiving break. I want to spend some time in my new house. Come see my week here. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ooh! I really want to read The Sun is Also a Star. I've heard such great things!

    ReplyDelete

Reading Extensively is now an award free blog. Thanks for stopping by! Please leave a comment. I enjoy receiving feedback! Due to increase in spam, I've enabled comment moderation. Sorry for any inconvenience!