Saturday, November 5, 2016

Sunday Post (68) / It's Monday, What Are You Reading



The Sunday Post is a weekly meme hosted by Kimberly @ Caffeinated Book Reviewer. It’s a post to recap the past week, showcase books and things we have received and share news about what is coming up on our blog for the week ahead. It's Monday, What Are You Reading is a fun weekly meme now hosted by Kathryn at Book Date, where we share what we've read and reviewed over the past week and what we plan to read next.

At the library we had our fall festival Saturday and it went very well. The weather cooperated and we had a good turnout for turkey bowling and pumpkin chucking. Monday's Boo Bash was also a success with some new teens and kids visiting the library to participate. 

On Monday night on the way home from work I ran over a dead deer lying in the road (I didn't see it in time and couldn't swerve around it as another car was coming the other way). Thankfully my car was easily fixable (a plastic part was out of place and the mechanic fixed it for free) and there were no injuries. I've never hit a live deer but I hope I never ride over a dead one again either!

I'm kind of dreading this week. Between the time change I hate and election day it promises to be stressful. Thankfully I have Friday off in honor of Veterans' Day and I'll be visiting my parents for the weekend for our family's Thanksgiving. I'm going to be on Pinterest the rest of the weekend looking for recipes to make. Unfortunately I'm back to dairy free and gluten free living for the time being after a miserable week of tummy issues. My sister said she'd be bringing a gluten free and dairy free Paleo pumpkin pie. Her pumpkin pie bars were delicious last year.




Last week on my blog:


A Shadow Bright and Burning by Jessica Cluess (review)



Books read:




While the ghosts/mythology/time travel elements were a little strange I mostly enjoyed this story especially once the action got underway.



Currently reading:


The Beauty of Darkness by Mary E. Pearson

I started this when I realized it was due back to the library. I think it is pretty good so far. 



Currently listening to:


The Throne of Fire by Rick Riordan (reread)



On my TBR list:


The Gilded Cage by Lucinda Gray



Sweetshop of Dreams by Jenny Colgan



Alterations by Stephanie Scott



Spinning Starlight by R.C. Lewis


The Tea Planter's Wife by Dinah Jefferies



New books received:



Stalking Jack the Ripper by Kerri Maniscalo (library book)

Crosstalk by Connie Willis (library book)

The Story of a Brief Marriage by Anuk Arudpragasam (library book)


14 comments:

  1. Sounds like your week was pretty good, especially the fall festival at your work...sounds fun! I also have been living dairy free or cutting back on dairy big time since my recent surgeries. It think it really helps! I will have to check out some of the dairy free recipes for Thanksgiving! I am sorry to hear about your accident with the deer. Ugh. The worst! A deer ran into my car a few years ago. I was literally at a stop and it ran into my car and caused so much damage! I am surprised to hear that there are time travel/ghost elements in A Most Extraordinary Pursuit. I definitely look forward to your thoughts on that one...hoping to read it soon. I am also curious about Gilded Cage. I hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will definitely be picking up The Tea Planter's Wife too. I have heard remarkable things.
    I too am suppose to be staying away from both dairy and gluten. The dairy isn't too hard for me, but the gluten is a bitch. I love carbs, and I mean the good wheat filled carbs, but I keep working on it. My doctor said that cutting back reaps very little rewards, and that complete elimination of gluten is the way to go. That kills me. :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Beauty of Darkness by Mary E. Pearson and Guilded Cage both look so good Christina. I enjoyed Stalking Jack the Ripper. I hope this week goes smoother than you think!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been drinking lactose free milk, but I'm wondering if I need to eliminate other things...lots of tummy issues, mostly when I eat at restaurants. Hmm...

    Yes, I agree that this is going to be a stressful week, but I'll be happy that the election is over. So horrific!

    Enjoy your books, and here are
    MY WEEKLY UPDATES

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was keen on A Most Extraordinary but then I heard about the paranormal elements, and while often I like those it didn't seem to fit my conception of the book, so... I kinda back burnered it. Nice to hear that you enjoyed it- I may still give it a go.

    Yikes running over a deer! Glad you were okay and no serious damage done- must have been scary though! With deer hunting on it's risky driving in the country at night around here, you never know when they're going to jump out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah how stressful running over a dead deer. Bet it did shake you up some. Even though I don't live in the US we are still watching the election with a lot of interest. Fingers crossed. I am lactose intolerant but fortunately I was diagnosed when in the U.S. and now I buy lactase from the U.S. However yours sounds more than that, so hope it is all sorted for you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I, too, am ready for the election to be over, but living in Hawaii means we don't have to deal with the time change! And it's actually a good thing for us because we're now an hour closer to Mainland time (great for talking to family and watching sports on TV).

    The fall festival sounds awesome -- I can see kids loving pumpkin chucking!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry to hear about your tummy issues. I have them too at times, thankfully not as much as I used to.
    I can totally see why this week will be stressful with the elections. I'm totally keeping my fingers crossed for the US!
    Good luck this week and happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I liked both The Gilded Cage and Spinning Starlight. I too will be glad when elections are over. I just hope they really are after tomorrow. Come see my week here. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so ready for the elections to be over-- trying to only watch Netflix and such with no commercials-- here in CA we are bombarded every minute with the same nasty commercials over and over because there are pages worth of propositions to vote on.

    I'm not lactose intolerant (that I know of)-- I can eat cheese, cream in my coffee and occasional ice cream but if, for instance, I ever splurge on a milkshake from a restaurant I get a stomach ache, so I don't know... could be a bad combo of too much sugar, fat and lactose for me.

    The Gilded Cage looks good to me! Enjoy your library books this week.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hope your change in diet makes you feel better though also relieved I don't have anything similar. I love on cheese! Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So sorry to hear about your stomach issues. :( Other than that though, it sounds like you had a good week. Good luck!

    Here is my IMWAYR: http://shoshireads.weebly.com/home/its-monday-what-are-you-reading7491563

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sorry your car got some damage after running over a deer, thankfully you did not hit it. Hope going back to gluten/dairy free clears up the tummy issues. Looking forward to Wed. too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I hope you enjoy your long weekend and enjoy your current reads. Jenny Colgan is an author I've been meaning to try for a while - I love that that particular title includes recipes!

    ReplyDelete

Reading Extensively is now an award free blog. Thanks for stopping by! Please leave a comment. I enjoy receiving feedback! Due to increase in spam, I've enabled comment moderation. Sorry for any inconvenience!