Sunday, January 25, 2015

It's Monday, What Are You Reading (203)



It's Monday, What Are You Reading is a fun weekly meme hosted by Sheila at Book Journey where we share what we've read and reviewed over the past week and what we plan to read next.

As I write this it is snowing outside and we have a level two snow emergency. I was joking with my family yesterday that if we were rich we could buy a house in Australia (we have relatives there and in NZ) and spend our winter months over there and then be here during our summer months. How nice it would be! Or Florida which would be a decent second option :) I am kind of hoping for a snow day tomorrow but I highly doubt it will happen.

This week I spent a lot of my free time sitting and reading and watching Hulu. My doctor prescribed a muscle relaxer for my back (he believes I strained my back muscles) but I'm not so sure it is helping. 

On the positive side things are getting back to normal at the library and I was able to get caught up on stuff. I finally booked my first program for summer reading (we really have to plan ahead because performers book up fast) and I have been busy getting ready for the winter reading program that starts tomorrow as well as our first Edible Books Festival for April. I'm really excited about it. There's also just 53 days till Spring!



Books reviewed:


All Fall Down by Ally Carter


Books read:


Shopaholic on Honeymoon by Sophie Kinsella

This is a short story set between books 3 and 4 in the Shopaholic series. It was a quick read (and free e-book) but didn't really add anything to the books in my opinion.



I'm glad I finally read this. I liked Sophie's story more than Liv's but there were times when I wanted to shake Sophie for being so naive. It was interesting to read about what life was like for the French during WWI and to learn a little about the restoring of art that was stolen during WWI and WWII.


Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard

I was worried that I wouldn't like Red Queen after reading reviews that said it was too much like The Hunger Games or X-Men or The Selection. While there are some similarities it was an original enough world and I mostly enjoyed the book. There are some characters that reminded me of members of House Lannister that I wanted to slap and I hope they get their comeuppance in the sequel. :)


The Same Sky by Amanda Eyre Ward

Parts of this story were strong and compelling and other parts just didn't work for me. Alice's storyline had a little too much going on and the resolution seemed rushed.


Currently reading:


A Desperate Fortune by Susanna Kearsley

Susanna Kearsley is one of my favorite authors so I am sure this story will not disappoint. I wish it was set in Scotland instead of France but oh, well :)


What I plan to read next:


The Storyspinner by Becky Wallace

I'm really excited about this debut novel. It is a fantasy but it looks kind of like a historical fantasy which I love reading.


The Winner's Crime by Marie Rutkoski

I thought The Winner's Curse was fantastic so I am looking forward to picking up the sequel to find out what happens next. The cover is kind of a weird pose but I suppose it matches book one...


A Sister to Honor by Lucy Ferriss

This sounds like it is going to be a powerful story and a page turner. I've read some really positive reviews on Goodreads too.



14 comments:

  1. Ugh, it's been super-hot here in parts of Australia over the past 2 weeks. Very unpleasant, so I'm counting down the days til Autumn and Winter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 53 days! January is kinda speeding along and I'm glad now that the holidays are over. :) Hope your snow isn't too bad (or maybe it is for the snow day)- we had sun today which surprised me since we were expecting snow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great looking books. Sitting here melting in NZ and you are dealing with snow. Hope you at least get for a holiday some year in your winter!. You were right to leave The Nightingale until you have had a break from war torn France.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am anxiously awaiting Red Queen. I saw the cover a few months ago and have been so excited to read it!

    We are under a level one snow emergency here, and I expect that to be higher by morning. I'm all for packing up, leaving Ohio and heading somewhere warm. ;)

    Brooke at http://www.brookeblogs.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. After the last few days of hot, y humid weather in my part of Australia, I almost wish it would snow here :)

    Have a great week,
    Shelleyrae @ Book'd Out

    ReplyDelete
  6. In Australia, we often dream of a European cottage to retire to in our winter months too. It was nearly 40°C here in Sydney yesterday - very unpleasant - hot and sticky! Some snow might have been nice :-)

    At least it's good weather for curling up warm & snug with a good book.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Kearsley book is the one I want!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope your back doesn't hurt too much but it sounds like you've got some amazing books to distract you! I am really intrigued by 'Red Queen', but that's partially because the cover is drop dead gorgeous. 'A Sister of Honor' does sound, and look, powerful so I might have to put that one on my TBR list! Thanks for sharing :) Have a great week!
    My Monday post
    Juli @ Universe in Words

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would love to summer in Florida as well. My husband grew up there and has family there. I am trying to convince him we need to visit, especially during the winter months. :) I also love that you are planning summer reading for your library…that' spike music to my ears. I read Red Queen last week and I thought it was just ok. Entertaining, but it reminded me too much of Shatter Me/The Selection. I can't wait to hear your thoughts on the sequel to Winner's Curse. Happy Reading and make sure you rest your back! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks like you've got a good reading week ahead! I'm really looking forward to reading Red Queen, hopefully soon. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'd love to have a house in NZ for the cold months in the UK! :) Glad you liked the Jojo Moyes I enjoyed that one. I fancy trying a Susanna Kearsley novel one day. Happy reading this week.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yay for spring! I hope you come through the snow storm alright! It is supposed to miss us here. Looking forward to The Desperate Fortune.

    ReplyDelete
  13. the heat and humidity has been so foul here, I'm fantasising about snow (without the snow emergency) Sorry your back is still giving you trouble, not much fun being in constant pain, kind of exhausting actually.
    How are you liking A Desperate Fortune? I've got it coming up soon and I'm really looking forward to it. Enjoy your new reads!

    ReplyDelete

Reading Extensively is now an award free blog. Thanks for stopping by! Please leave a comment. I enjoy receiving feedback! Due to increase in spam, I've enabled comment moderation. Sorry for any inconvenience!