Monday, January 12, 2015

It's Monday, What Are You Reading (201)



It's Monday, What Are You Reading is a fun weekly meme hosted by Sheila at Book Journey where we share what we've read and reviewed over the past week and what we plan to read next.

It's been an interesting week with some bad weather (nothing too bad but enough to have a "delay" at work) and really cold days which meant more time for reading. Unfortunately I got stuck for awhile trying to find a book to hold my attention after reading Before I Go so I spent more time watching reruns of Friends on Netflix instead of reading. I also decided to give up on Bitter Greens for now. It is an interesting book but I think I'd prefer to read it on my Kindle. The hardcover is too big to lug around in my bag!

I have the day off from the library today since a water line broke and affected our server. I guess we will find out what exactly is damaged tomorrow. Hopefully it isn't too bad and not too expensive to fix. Late last year we had a roofing leak and some of our books got wet. In the meantime I plan to relax and I'm relieved I don't have to drive on icy roads today. I do plan to get some exercise in today since I didn't work out over the weekend.


Books reviewed:


This Shattered World by Amie Kaufman and Meagan Spooner


Books read:


Goodnight June by Sarah Jio

I thought this was a cute story but the end was a little too much. I loved how the works of Margaret Wise Brown and the importance of children's books and bookstores were incorporated into the story.


Before I Go by Colleen Oakley

You may want to keep tissues at hand if you read this one but honestly I felt more angry than sad until the end. I think the author thoughtfully explores the emotions of someone who is dying and what their loved ones go through as well but there were definitely some characters I wanted to slap at times.


Love, Lucy by April Lindner

I haven't read A Room With a View though I did watch a film adaptation of it. This book is very loosely based on the classic novel. Lucy can act like a spoiled brat at times but I also felt sorry for her because of her difficult relationship with her father who doesn't support her dreams. 


Currently reading:


Vanishing Girls by Lauren Oliver

I like this one so far. We haven't really gotten to the mystery yet though there has been mention of the missing young girl. I like Nick (Nicole) but I am not a fan of her younger sister Dara. 


What I might read next:


The Dress Shop of Dreams by Menna van Praag


Still Alice by Lisa Genova

This is my evening book group's selection for January. We wanted to read it before watching the movie but it looks like it won't be coming to a theater near us so we'll have to wait till it's on DVD. I've heard that the movie is excellent and with Julianne Moore winning a Golden Globe I'm even more excited to see it.



This is my afternoon book group's January pick. I started reading it last year but couldn't get into it. Hopefully I will like it better this time around. I've loved the other two books I read by the author (Me Before You and One Plus One).



I loved Emery Lord's debut novel, Open Road Summer so I am excited about this one and even though the release isn't till the end of March (I like to read ARCs near the release date) I may read it now anyway.


A Desperate Fortune by Susanna Kearsley

I can't wait to read this book. I was so happy to be approved for an ARC and I love her writing. This one doesn't come out till April so if I can I will hold off on reading it a little while longer.

15 comments:

  1. Work has kept me so busy this week along with a Presidential Election! I am envious of your last book

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm quite eager to see Still Alice too, the book was very good. I'm watching the pharyngeal Fisher Murders on Netflix at the moment since Friends is on endless repeat cycle on FreeTV.

    Have a great week,
    Shelleyrae @ Book'd Out

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually got to meet Colleen Oakley last week and she was delightful! I haven't read her book yet but after your review, I'm adding it to my TBR list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved "A Room with a View" and I just recently re-watched the movie! I may have to check out "Love, Lucy"

    ReplyDelete
  5. I tend to read my ARCs ahead and schedule the reviews for nearer the publication date. Right now I'm reading things that won't see print on my blog until mid-February. Come see my week here. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read them ahead of time too. :)

      I had things that were to be published on my blog in January done in late November. :)

      Delete
  6. Love Susanna Kearsley.

    Great lineup for you.

    ENJOY!!!

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My It's Monday, What Are You Reading

    ReplyDelete
  7. An amazing array of books. Not great for the library but leak great for your reading time! I tend to be like you and want to read ARCs nearer their release time. I have Bitter Greens in paperback but don't have to carry it anywhere. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hope there's not too much damage at your library and no more wet books!

    I've got A Desperate Fortune coming up soon, very excited about it too, love Susanna Kearsely's writing. I loved Still Alice, it broke my heart and I'm really looking forward to seeing the movie. I've seen Before I Go on so many blogs, I'm even more curious about it after reading your thoughts lol. Hope you get back to Bitter Greens on your kindle :)

    Have a great week and happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was curious about Goodnight June since I remember the children's book fondly, and I've heard good things about Sarah Jio. And books about bookstores can be nice. Vanishing Girls is one I've jsut heard of, but I may want to read it since I liked the other Lauren Oliver book I read. I hope it's good.

    Have a great week, and hope the library isn't too damaged.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My book club read Still Alice a couple of years ago. I did NOT want to read it. It sounded so depressing! But I actually liked it more than I thought I would. Stay safe and warm and enjoy your week!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hope all the books are ok at the library! *fingers crossed* That's nice you got some time off work though. I can't wait to hear your thoughts on Love, Lucy! I've had my eye on that one for awhile. I also am dying to read The Start of Me and You. I just got Vanishing Girls for review…excited to check that one out as well! I hope you have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
  12. YOU HAVE VANISHING GIRLS!!! Ooh, I can't wait to see your thoughts on it. Lauren Oliver books are always interesting!

    I've heard The Start of Me and You is just as great as ORS! Hope you enjoy everything :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. This cold weather is cuckoo! It took me a while to find a book I really wanted to read too, but I just watched the whole first season of The Originals. :) I hope the damage wasn't too bad!

    Dress Shop of Dreams looks really good. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you for the comment on Before I Go! I wasn't sure if I was supposed to be crying or annoyed. The concept is tragic so it feels like saying anything bad about the book is wrong but I didn't get a lot of it so ended up thinking it was OK not great.

    ReplyDelete

Reading Extensively is now an award free blog. Thanks for stopping by! Please leave a comment. I enjoy receiving feedback! Due to increase in spam, I've enabled comment moderation. Sorry for any inconvenience!