Sunday, January 18, 2015

It's Monday, What Are You Reading (202)



It's Monday, What Are You Reading is a fun weekly meme hosted by Sheila at Book Journey where we share what we've read and reviewed over the past week and what we plan to read next.

I had a crazy week with three days off due to a water line break at the library. One of our water pipes for our sprinkler system froze and then burst in our computer server room and also the room where the fuses are. We were very fortunate that there wasn't a fire. We were finally able to reopen on Thursday but we didn't have the Internet which made things even more hectic. Thankfully things are getting back to normal now. In the middle of that I was also dealing with some health issues with headaches and nausea and some lower back pain that may be kidney related. While the headaches have improved the nausea isn't completely gone and I keep waking up in the middle of the night with lower back pain so I am going to the doctor tomorrow. 

With all that time off I also had plenty of time to read so I finished five books this week and even wrote a book review for one of them. I still have an impressive amount of books I need to write reviews for going back to last year :)


Books reviewed:


The Dress Shop of Dreams by Menna van Praag


Books read:


Vanishing Girls by Lauren Oliver

This book definitely wasn't what I was expecting. I thought I knew what was going on and then there was a plot twist that I didn't see coming though maybe I should have. I liked it though. Very different from Delirium.


The Dress Shop of Dreams by Menna van Praag

A charming story with some flaws but I liked it. I am planning to read her first book, The House at the End of Hope Street


Still Alice by Lisa Genova

Oh this book was so good. Very powerful story. Almost made me cry but I held it in. Barely. I can't wait to see the movie but I'll probably have to wait till it's out on DVD. Even if it does get a wide release I don't think I could watch it in the theater :)



I think I liked this one more than Open Road Summer and I loved that book. I really like how the author writes about friendships and family relationships. So many great characters. Dare I say that I like her books more than Sarah Dessen's?


I'm Glad I Did by Cynthia Weil

This is historical fiction with a little bit of mystery thrown in. I liked JJ and her determination and spunk. The music business and the Brill Building in the 1960s is an interesting setting. The author is a songwriter herself, like JJ, working in the Brill Building in the 60s. 

Currently reading:


The Girl You Left Behind by Jojo Moyes

This one is starting off really well. I like it a lot so far though I am nervous for Sophie and her family during the German occupation. I look forward to hearing what my book group members think of it. They don't always like "war books".


What I plan to read next:


A Desperate Fortune by Susanna Kearsley


The Same Sky by Amanda Eyre Ward


Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard


13 comments:

  1. Oh, I like the sound of Vanishing Girls!!!!

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you get the root of your health issue and the Dr sorts it out for you. Looks like a great reading week. Like the look of some of your books so look forward to the reviews you might do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My book club tends to love war books. Fortunately for me, since I do too. I hope you feel better soon and it's nothing serious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck with the reviews, and glad to hear Vanishing Girls was good. Was wondering about that one...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Its the Kearsley book I am eyeing! love her books.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the cover for Red Queen. The blood dripping off the crown is rather eerie. I'd love to read Vanishing Girls - it's on my wishlist. Happy reading this week!

    My IMWAYR post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hope you get some answers at your Dr's appt and you're feeling better soon.
    I'm so glad you loved Still Alice, I cried ... a lot lol, Can't wait to see the movie! Vanishing Girls is on my wishlist and I've got Desperate Fortune coming up soon, Susanna Kearsley hasn't disappointed yet.

    I'm also behind on reviews, I still have 2 left from 2014 ... hope we both make some headway. Happy reading :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh no! I hope you get some answers at the doctors today. Feel better soon! I can't wait to hear your thoughts on The Start of Me and You. You have me so excited for that one! I also am hoping to read Vanishing Girls soon. I am currently reading Red Queen and it is a bit derivative, but enjoying it overall. So far, it sort of reminds of The Selection, which I wasn't expecting. I hope you have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my gosh! So glad to hear that disaster was averted with a fire at the library, although I am sorry you did have to deal with such a mess as the pipes breaking. :( I hope you get some relief and answers from your doctor today, lower back pain is no fun.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I loved Still Alice, and I really enjoyed The Girl You Left Behind. I hope you continue to enjoy it. I hope you feel better.

    ReplyDelete
  11. There is a part of me that really wants to read "Still Alice," but another part thinks I wouldn't be able to handle it! I probably can handle the book better than the move, so I'm sure I'll get to it sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Now I'm very excited to read your full thoughts on TSoM&Y! I have high hopes for that one, so I'm glad you liked it more than ORS.

    Hope you enjoy everything (especially Red Queen)!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, that is a great group of books! I've heard great things about Vanishing Girls! I wonder how Red Queen is, I have seen mixed reviews.

    ReplyDelete

Reading Extensively is now an award free blog. Thanks for stopping by! Please leave a comment. I enjoy receiving feedback! Due to increase in spam, I've enabled comment moderation. Sorry for any inconvenience!