Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Support Your Library and Contest

Kate at The Neverending Shelf wrote an excellent post today about the importance of libraries. She also issued a challenge to readers. For every comment that she receives on her post she will donate 1/4 of a book to her local library so for every four comments, she will donate one book to her library.  The other thing you can do is to create a post of your own about the challenge, sharing about your local library or tips to help. She will select one winner to receive either 5 books from her bookshelf or $25 to Book Depository. To find out more, please visit The Neverending Shelf.

My local library has been struggling this year. They've had to cut back severely on purchasing materials, they reduced their hours, cut back staff pay and hours, demoted supervisors, and reduced programming. If their library levy doesn't pass I don't know what they will do. I wish I had the money to donate to them but I don't. What I can do is donate my books that are in like-new condition to be added to their collection and my older used books to the library booksale.

If your local library is struggling, there are ways that you can support them. They may even have ideas on the library website. You can donate materials, money, or volunteer. You can also show your support by joining the Friends of the Library or attending library programs. Something else that you can do to help: thank the library staff and let them know you appreciate them!

1 comment:

  1. Library are so underrated. Thanks so much for recognizing a terrific institution.

    ReplyDelete

Reading Extensively is now an award free blog. Thanks for stopping by! Please leave a comment. I enjoy receiving feedback! Due to increase in spam, I've enabled comment moderation. Sorry for any inconvenience!