Thursday, April 8, 2010

Clear Out The Pack Rat Mentality And The TBR


This activity for the Clear Away the Clutter Read-A-Thon is being hosted by Teens Read and Write. The purpose is to reduce your TBR pile.

For this activity we have to answer the following questions:

1. Is there at least one book on your growing TBR that has been there forever and (if you were honest) you could give up without to much trauma?

I do have a few books I could give away, particularly nonfiction titles that I won't be reading. Since my library is collecting books for the annual book sale this is the perfect time to donate them! I usually go through and pull out books I don't think I will read again to donate also. I have found that if I purchase a book and don't read it within a month of purchase, I never read it. Now I try to only buy books that I know I will read and enjoy or books that are part of a series that I already have.

2. What is your latest "Gotta Have It" book? (that you can get once you've given up that one in question #1)

Some definite "gotta have it" books: Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins, Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare, and Misguided Angel by Melissa De la Cruz.

Some books that I might purchase: Dead in the Family by Charlaine Harris, Keys to the Repository by Melissa De la Cruz, Jekel Loves Hyde by Beth Fantaskey, Spirit Bound by Richelle Mead. I've already given away two books so I have some more space on my bookshelf plus I could buy some of the "maybe" books on Kindle so it wouldn't be a problem (although I do prefer holding a book in my hand as opposed to my iPhone or reading at the computer).

3. What are your classics - you're 'comfort books' that you never want to give up?

My classics: The Lord of the Rings, the Harry Potter series (I actually have hardcovers as well as a few smaller paperbacks with the British covers), Jane Austen novels

Currently there are some books that I can't see myself giving up anytime soon like the Mortal Instruments series by Cassandra Clare and some of the other YA books that I've purchased but ten years from now I might feel totally different about them, especially when I hit middle age. I doubt I will ever outgrow my love of Jane Austen or LOTR and I hope I never outgrow my love of Harry Potter. These books to me are timeless classics.

4. What are your best tips for keeping that TBR in check?

Only buy those books that you know you will love and read again. If you think you will only read a book one time then get it from the library or borrow it.

Don't buy books if you don't have room to store them properly (on a shelf).

Make a commitment to read books within a short time of purchasing them.

Go through your books at least once a year to get rid of books you won't read or that you won't reread and then donate the books to your local library or exchange them for other books through PaperBackSwap or other programs.

Use your library (or interlibrary loan) to get more of the books you read rather than purchasing-the due dates will encourage you to read the books in a timely manner, you will save money, you will save space, and you will be helping out the library because when you check out books, those statistics matter!

3 comments:

  1. Christina, I agree with you about only buying books you will love to read. But sometimes that is hard. I kept seeing Dead Tossed Waves and bought it and Forest of Hands and Trees. Read the first and have not read the other because it the first one bothered me so. I will eventually read it, but it will not be soon.

    I also cannot wait for Mockingjay. Loved Hunger Games and really enjoyed Catching Fire.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I aspire to be more like this, but can only see myself changing my bad habits a teeny bit. I did get rid of a lot of books that I have either read or was never going to get around to last weekend at a garage sale. (There is nothing like moving to make you admit that you have a problem.) The rest will get donated for the Friends of the Library sale.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a little ashamed to admit this because I actually work at a library and don't take advantage of inter library loans more. It would really be better on my budget. Is it to late for a new years resolution?

    ReplyDelete

Reading Extensively is now an award free blog. Thanks for stopping by! Please leave a comment. I enjoy receiving feedback! Due to increase in spam, I've enabled comment moderation. Sorry for any inconvenience!