Friday, January 22, 2010

A Year of Reading Extensively


I am starting this blog to track my efforts to read a greater variety of books this year. The name of my blog comes from a quote by Fitzwilliam Darcy in Pride and Prejudice, chapter eight "...the improvement of her mind by extensive reading." The quote is part of Darcy's description of a truly accomplished woman and while I do not agree with a lot of his list, I do believe it is important for people to read extensively to improve themselves.

Last year I read over 100 books but most of them were YA or Christian romances of some sort. I also read an overabundance of YA fantasy. This year my reading goals include reading more nonfiction and literary fiction as well as reading outside the box.

I will also post occasional reviews of books I particularly enjoyed.

What have I read so far this year?

1. The Independence of Miss Mary Bennet by Colleen McCullough
2. Truly, Madly by Heather Webber
3. Deliver Us From Evil by Robin Caroll
4. The Espressologist by Kristina Springer
5. Where the Heart Is by Billie Letts
6. The Overnight Socialite by Bridie Clark
7. Devil's Kiss by Sarwat Chadda


Some of the books I hope to read this year as part of my reading challenge:
1. Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte
2. Cranford by Elizabeth Gaskell
3. Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert
4. The Devil in the White City by Erik Larson
5. The Lady in the Tower: The Final Days of Anne Boleyn by Alison Weir
6. Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis
7. Sarah's Key by Tatiana de Rosnay

What am I reading now?
Strange Angels by Lili St. Crow

No comments:

Post a Comment

Reading Extensively is now an award free blog. Thanks for stopping by! Please leave a comment. I enjoy receiving feedback! Due to increase in spam, I've enabled comment moderation. Sorry for any inconvenience!