Monday, January 25, 2010

18th and 19th Century Women Writers Reading Challenge



This challenge is hosted by Becky's Book Reviews and it runs from January 1-December 31, 2010. The object is to read at least two books written and published by women authors between 1700-1900. To sign up, click on the image above or visit the 18th and 19th Century Women Writers Reading Challenge page.

My list of titles I'm planning to read:

1. Cranford by Elizabeth Gaskell
2. North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell
3. Agnes Grey by Anne Bronte
4. Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte

We'll see how far I get with this one. I watched the fantastic Return to Cranford on PBS recently and I have heard that the Cranford miniseries was excellent. I really liked the BBC production of Wives and Daughters also so I might try reading that as well. I chose the Anne Bronte novel because her works are the least famous of the three Bronte sisters. I love Jane Eyre and I am going to try to make myself read Wuthering Heights this year even though the story is supposed to be depressing.

1 comment:

  1. Great choices for this challenge. I have them on my To Read list. Well, except for #4. Too many film versions have turned me completely off the story, no matter how great Ralph Fiennes is as Heathcliff. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Reading Extensively is now an award free blog. Thanks for stopping by! Please leave a comment. I enjoy receiving feedback! Due to increase in spam, I've enabled comment moderation. Sorry for any inconvenience!