Tuesday, December 8, 2015

Top Ten New to Me Authors Read in 2015



Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created at The Broke and the Bookish. There is a new subject each week and this week's topic is "Top Ten New to Me Authors I Read in 2015".



Lisa Genova

I can't believe I waited this long to pick up a novel by Lisa Genova. When I saw that Still Alice was made into a movie, I encouraged my book group to pick it for our February read. We all loved it. Then I picked up an ARC of Inside the O'Briens which was also excellent. Genova knows how to write about difficult diseases and how they impact the patient and their families.


Sarah J. Maas

I had meant to read Throne of Glass but never got around to it. When I heard about this fairy-tale inspired fantasy, I decided to give it a try and I'm so glad I did! I can't wait for book two!



Edward Kelsey Moore

This is one of my favorite books I read/listened to in 2015. If not for book group I might not have picked it up. It's laugh out loud funny and and features a strong group of female friends and their spouses as they go through life's changes from the 1960s to modern day.



Fredrik Backman

This is another favorite from book group about a grumpy old man whose life is changed for the better when nosy new neighbors move next door. I really like the sense of humor and the author has a second novel that came out in 2015 but I haven't read it yet.



Iona Gray

I always like those dual timeline novels and this one is partially set in WWII. The author manages to make both the historical and modern day stories interesting (though I still like the historical part more). 



Renee Ahdieh

I loved this debut YA fantasy inspired by A Thousand and One Nights. I can't wait for the sequel, The Rose & The Dagger.



Amy E. Reichert

I love good food descriptions in a novel and this one was a foodie's dream. The romance was really nice too and I liked the secondary characters. That cover makes me long for coconut cake! She has a new book coming out next year to look forward to.



Julia Stuart

This is yet another one of those novels that I discovered through book group. I liked the British humor and the interesting setting and quirky characters. I believe she also wrote a mystery novel that I may have to check out some day.



Julie Murphy

I really liked this YA contemporary novel. I thought it was her debut so I was surprised to find out I'd missed Side Effects May Vary. I will have to read that one someday too.



Jamie Ford

We read some fantastic books in book group this year :) I had been wanting to read this for years but never got around to it until this past summer. I loved it (and so did the rest of the book group) and hope to read his second novel soon.


Honorable mention:



Courtney Summers

Technically I started reading one of her older novels a few years ago but didn't finish it (I couldn't stand the main character) so this is the first novel of hers that I actually read and I thought it was amazing and powerful. I'd be willing to give her future novels a try.



Rachel Caine

I am cheating with this one as I'd previously read one or two of her Morganville Vampire novels but I loved this YA fantasy (which is very different from that series which I didn't care for) and can't wait for the next book.


7 comments:

  1. Heard so many good things about Sarah Maas, I'm seriously considering trying her books in the new year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome list, Christina! Most of these authors are new-to-me as well, except for Sarah J. Maas. I love her writing style. You should read her other series too--it's very good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I still need to pick up Dumplin!
    Great Top Ten! :)

    My Top Ten Tuesday :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you like Rachel Caine you'll probably like her Revivalist series - starting with 'Working Stiff' - they're horror books but they're brilliantly written and you can't help but love the characters. They're a bit more adult, though.
    I hadn't heard of quite a lot of your authors, but I'm going to look a few up now - good choices!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such beautiful book covers in this post.
    I know that shouldn't matter... but really it does, so thank you so much for so many new recommendations :)
    Wonderful List :)

    My TTT: http://booksbeautifylife.blogspot.de/2015/12/top-10-tuesday-10-new-to-me-authors-i.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. i LOVE Hotel on the Corner - one of my very favorite books! So happy to see it on your list this week :) My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love Sarah J Maas' books!
    My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2015/12/08/top-ten-tuesday-34/

    ReplyDelete

Reading Extensively is now an award free blog. Thanks for stopping by! Please leave a comment. I enjoy receiving feedback! Due to increase in spam, I've enabled comment moderation. Sorry for any inconvenience!