Sunday, December 13, 2015

Sunday Post (32) / It's Monday, What Are You Reading


The Sunday Post is a weekly meme hosted by Kimberly @ Caffeinated Book Reviewer. It’s a post to recap the past week, showcase books and things we have received and share news about what is coming up on our blog for the week ahead. It's Monday, What Are You Reading is a fun weekly meme now hosted by Kathryn at Book Date, where we share what we've read and reviewed over the past week and what we plan to read next.

I had kind of a quiet week of just playing catch up before the end of the year. I went to Barnes & Noble on Thursday to buy books for the library's teen collection since I still had a lot of money left over in the teen budget. I ended up buying mostly graphic novels with some replacement copies of popular books and a few new novels. I still have quite a bit to spend so I might make a trip to Wal-Mart this week.

I also finally sent out a couple of Christmas cards and put up one Christmas decoration (a jingle bell doorknob hanger). It didn't make sense to do more as I am leaving this Friday to visit family for the holidays and I won't be back till after Christmas. I am really looking forward to spending time with my parents and my sister. We are going to her house on Christmas day to celebrate with her husband's family and the next day we'll have our low-key family Christmas at an Indian restaurant.

This week I have to pack and pick up a few Christmas gifts for people at work. We are having a white elephant gift exchange at our holiday staff breakfast on Friday so I have to wrap my stuff for that. After the breakfast I have the rest of the day off and I am seriously contemplating going to see The Force Awakens before I head to my sister's house. I really want to see the movie as soon as possible to avoid any accidental spoilers at Christmas! I found some really cute BB-8 merchandise online this week including a purse I'd love to have but probably wouldn't use enough to make the price worth it (I could totally take it to the movie though) and this really cute BB-8 plush. Of course what I really want is this overpriced BB-8 robot from Sphero... Are you going to see the movie this weekend?




#Fitreaders Weekly Check In


#Fitreaders is hosted by Felicia at The Geeky Blogger and Jen at That's What I'm Talking About 

This past week was much better in terms of exercise but I did finally cave and eat some holiday treats. I know the next couple of weeks are going to be rough! We are having a Biggest Loser contest at my workplace though so that should help get me back on track and as long as I keep walking it's okay to eat those Christmas cookies, right?

Sunday--walked 1 mile
Monday--nothing
Tuesday--walked 1 mile
Wednesday--walked 1 mile
Thursday--walked 1 mile (and carried heavy stacks of books at Barnes & Noble) :)
Friday--walked 1 mile
Saturday--walked 1 mile



Last week on my blog:


Ana of California by Andi Teran (review)



Books read:

Until We Meet Again by Renee Collins

To my mild surprise, I liked this "time travel" YA romance. Cass is annoying at first (she whines about spending her summer at a beach house with her mom and stepdad and little brother) but then once she meets Lawrence on the beach she loses the sulk. I liked that there is a bit of mystery and the concept the possible consequences of time travel is explored. 


Star Wars: Heir to the Empire by Timothy Zahn (reread)

I decided to listen to this audio book again before the new Star Wars movie comes out. These stories are now considered "legend" but in a way I'm glad as we won't see Mara Jade on the screen. She is particularly annoying in this book. The rest of the story is fantastic though. I remember how I used to wish that this trilogy had been made into movies instead of the "prequels".

Their Fractured Light by Amie Kaufman and Meagan Spooner

I liked this final book in the trilogy though it isn't as good as the first two. I thought it wrapped everything up and answered questions about the mysterious creatures known as "the whispers".  



Currently reading:


Star Wars: Lost Stars by Claudia Gray

I only just started reading this so I don't know if I'll like it yet but I have read some positive reviews from other bloggers. I wanted to try to read it before the new movie comes out. Supposedly there are some hints in it about The Force Awakens.



What I might read next:


My Kind of Wonderful by Jill Shalvis

I thought I might take a break from science fiction and pick up a romance next. I liked the first book in the Cedar Ridge series. I'm not sure if this book is set at Christmas or just in winter but I like the cover :)


The Great Christmas Knit-Off by Alexandra Brown

This Christmas novel just sounds like fun. Sybil has just been stood up at her Star Wars-themed wedding (see it ties in with this week!) when her fiance chooses her twin sister instead. She goes to visit a friend in a charming town where she gets to knit and maybe sell her creations and she meets the handsome town doctor. Sounds perfect for this time of year!



I have heard so many good things about this book. It was originally published in Sweden and this translated version will be published next month. The main character is a young Swedish woman who travels to Iowa to meet her pen pal Amy only to find out Amy has passed away. She decides to stay and opens a book shop. I've seen comparisons of this book to The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry which I loved.


New books received:



Sword and Verse by Kathy MacMillan  (for review)


The Shadow Queen by C.J. Redwine (for review)

Come Back to Me by Mila Gray (for review)

The Things We Keep by Sally Hepworth (for review)

My Kind of Wonderful by Jill Shalvis (for review)

His Right Hand by Mette Ivie Harrison (library book)

The Great Christmas Knit-Off by Alexandra Brown (library book)

12 comments:

  1. You got some good reading done and some great books for review. I can't wait to see more of your thoughts on these books, especially Come Back to Me. I'm happy to see you liked Until We Meet Again. I'm looking forward to that one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not seeing Star Wars until after Christmas. I'll try to avoid discussions, but I won't get upset if I hear something. Just the way it is! haha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoy your holiday and good luck seeing Star Wars! I'm anxious to see it but probably won't see it right away, unless I go at an off time as the theaters will be packed. I probably will get spoiled, unfortunately. :)

    Until We Meet Again- I like that cover, and I've heard some good things. I like consequences of time travel stories. I like that new cover of Heir to the Empire. I have to admit I never got those, although I think I started the first one once but never finished. Not sure why.

    Lost Stars worked for me, I liked it but didn't love it. I've seen some other bloggers rave though, so it does have fans. I'm not sure about Force Awakens spoilers (or hints) until the end- then there's a big (sorta) lead in. You'll see what I mean. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Christmas Knit-off looks cute. Glad you are juggling everything around the holidays. Have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Enjoy your holiday with your family! It sounds like a nice relaxing time! I can't wait to hear your thoughts on Broken Wheel. Also, I hope you enjoy Come Back to Me....very Nicholas Sparks and perfect for the holiday season. It's probably one of the better new adult novels that I've read.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have a great visit with family. I am looking forward to the second book in Cedar Ridge. Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice to do book buying for your library. Love spending other's money! Hmm I haven't read that Jill Shalvis series but I.... want to! The Readers of Broken Wheel also sounds good, must keep my eye open to see how everyone likes it or not.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Have a fab time with your family over Christmas. I'll probably wait to see the the Force Awakens, my partner works away and he's seeing it on release night at a work fundraiser.

    Well done on the walking. Keep up the good work, it totally allows you to eat cookies lol

    Love that cover for The Readers of Broken Wheel Recommend, hope it's a great read. Hope you enjoy The Things We Keep as much as I did. Happy reading :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I didn't even realize The Force Awakens started this Friday! I am excited to see it but I'm obviously not a diehard fan. I'll wait for the crowds to die down before I head to the theater.

    Have a great time visiting your family!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks like you're getting ready for Star Wars - awesome! :) Have a great reading week!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice week...I am reading The Things We Keep.

    I read The Readers of Broken Wheel Recommend...LOVED IT.

    I hope you have been having a good week of reading.

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My It's Monday, What Are You Reading

    ReplyDelete

Reading Extensively is now an award free blog. Thanks for stopping by! Please leave a comment. I enjoy receiving feedback! Due to increase in spam, I've enabled comment moderation. Sorry for any inconvenience!