Sunday, December 6, 2015

Sunday Post (31) / It's Monday, What Are You Reading



The Sunday Post is a weekly meme hosted by Kimberly @ Caffeinated Book Reviewer. It’s a post to recap the past week, showcase books and things we have received and share news about what is coming up on our blog for the week ahead. It's Monday, What Are You Reading is a fun weekly meme now hosted by Kathryn at Book Date, where we share what we've read and reviewed over the past week and what we plan to read next.

Today is the first day that I've felt like blogging in awhile. I took a much needed break over Thanksgiving but I was not planning on coming down with a cold! My whole family came down with colds during and after Thanksgiving. Colds--the gift that keeps on giving :) On Tuesday I also missed work because of an endoscopy. It turns out that I don't have ulcers but I do have some inflammation. I miss being able to eat normally and now it looks like it may be permanent. On the bright side, I am very relieved that the test showed no ulcers.

Other than getting sick, I had a nice Thanksgiving and decorated my parents' Christmas tree before I left. This holiday is just sneaking up on me. I need to work on Christmas cards this week! I've also been thinking about all the books I still want to read before the end of the year. I have several review books to get through if I can as well as a stack of library books I really want to read. We'll have to see how much I can accomplish in the next few weeks!

Yesterday we had the Star Wars movie marathon at my library. It started at 11 and ended shortly before 6 p.m. (we only showed the original trilogy). After some technical difficulties with the XBOX One remote (it refused to work though it is brand new and we tested it a few days before), we ended up hooking up a Blu-ray player borrowed from the children's department so the show could go on. We had an interesting mix of adults, teens and kids though attendance dwindled by the final movie. We served pizza and then broke out our "new to us" movie theater style popcorn machine which my coworker thankfully handled as I probably would have burned myself. The smell of popcorn definitely made the experience more realistic though it is a hassle as our machine smokes so it has to be popped outside or it'll set off the sprinklers. Overall I think my last program of the year was a success.



#FitReaders Weekly Check In

#Fitreaders is hosted by Felicia at The Geeky Blogger and Jen at That's What I'm Talking About 

I did not exercise at all this past week due to the cold but now that I am feeling better I want to get back to it especially to work off all that pumpkin pie I ate!


Last week on my blog:


First & Then by Emma Mills (review)


Books read:

Paris for One by Jojo Moyes

I liked this novella about a young Englishwoman who goes to Paris for a romantic weekend but her boyfriend fails to show up. 


The Lies About Truth by Courtney C. Stevens

This YA contemporary novel features a hurting teen who is struggling to cope a year after a fatal car accident claimed the life of her best friend and left her physically scarred.


Death Wears a Mask by Ashley Weaver

I liked this second Amory Ames mystery that is partially set at a masked ball. I think fans of Rhys Bowen would enjoy this series.


Velvet Undercover by Teri Brown

This historical spy novel is set during the Great War. A young teen is recruited to spy for La Dame Blanche, an all female international spy organization but her first mission is more complicated than she expected. 


Currently reading:


Their Fractured Light by Amie Kaufman and Meagan Spooner

I like this one so far though I had to look up who some of the characters were from earlier books because I recognized the names but couldn't remember them.  I've really enjoyed this series so I'm sad to see it end.


What I might read next:


Star Wars: Lost Stars by Claudia Gray


Beatrice and Benedick by Marina Fiorato

I forgot that I had to review this for Amazon Prime until I found it recently in a stack of books. I love Much Ado About Nothing so I am hopeful that I will enjoy this too.


Until We Meet Again by Renee Collins

I am intrigued by this novel that features a love story across time. A modern day teen girl encounters a young man on the beach who happens to be from the 1920s.


New books received:


Their Fractured Light by Amie Kaufman and Meagan Spooner (purchased)

All In by Jennifer Lynn Barnes (library book)

How to Be Brave by E. Katherine Kottaras (library book)

Until We Meet Again by Renee Collins (for review)







13 comments:

  1. I'm sorry to hear about you getting sick and your stomach inflammation. It sucks to not feel well during the holiday season.

    I hope you enjoyed The Lies About Truth. That one is definitely on my radar. Looks like you've got a good week of books ahead of you!

    My Sunday Post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear about the cold, hope you feel better. There is so much going around right now, seems like everyone is sick. Glad you had a good Thanksgiving, and yes Christmas is going to come quickly!

    Your Star Wars marathon sounds fun, and popcorn too. what a great idea. I need to read the next Amory Ames book, and Until We Meet Again sounds good too. I like time travel. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Until we Meet Again has me so curious. I do help you are feeling better. Nothing worse than stomach issues. Have a wonderful week Christina .

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to hear you are finally feeling better! Taking a week off is needed sometimes. I hope that you have a better week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. hmm I noticed Paris for One on Audible so might listen to it at some stage seen as you liked it. Yeah colds are a bugbear. A nuisance about the inflammation, surely they can offer you ways to lessen/improve it. All the best with it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Boo to all the nasty bugs ... hope you're feeling heaps better. Not the best news with your endoscopy but it's good to know what you're dealing with. Restrictive diets can be a pain can't they. I'll be cheering as you get back to walking.
    Glad the Star Wars event was a success, even if there were a few hiccups.

    I'm looking forward to Their Fractured Light and I'll have to look for Paris for One, there's always time to squeeze in a novella. Curious about Until We Meet Again but I'll wait to see what you think. Have a wonderful week and happy reading :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know what it is like to get sick during the season. It drags everything really down. Hope you feel better very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope you are feeling better and I'm glad your test went well. Your library has some great events....sounds like the Star Wars marathon was a hit. I look forward to your thoughts on Velvet Undercover. I have that one for review, but not sure I will have time to read it before the end of the year. I hope you have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad to hear you're feeling better! I was sick with a head cold for 2 weeks - nothing serious, but it just wouldn't go away. Taking time off from exercising was a good move - some times your body just needs rest - that's exactly what I ended up doing, too!

    The Star Wars marathon sounds like so much fun!!! My husband and I were just talking about rewatching the movies in anticipation of the new movie - we are definitely going to the theater to see that one (normally we just wait for movies to come out on-demand to watch them) - but that one just begs for the big screen!

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Death Wears a Mask just grabbed me, will be added to my wish list!

    Have a great week!

    You can find mine here: http://www.escapewithdollycas.com/2015/12/07/29200/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sorry the family cold went around and then you had inflammation issues. But the Star Wars marathon sounded fun. You have an interesting array of books read here.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh wow, not familiar with any of the titles here. Thanks for sharing them. I am also looking forward to doing a Star Wars movie marathon soonest.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Pretty covers.

    The Lies About Truths looks interesting.

    Have a good week.

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My Blog

    ReplyDelete

Reading Extensively is now an award free blog. Thanks for stopping by! Please leave a comment. I enjoy receiving feedback! Due to increase in spam, I've enabled comment moderation. Sorry for any inconvenience!