Sunday, June 4, 2017

Sunday Post (91) / It's Monday, What Are You Reading



The Sunday Post is a weekly meme hosted by Kimberly @ Caffeinated Book Reviewer. It’s a post to recap the past week, showcase books and things we have received and share news about what is coming up on our blog for the week ahead. It's Monday, What Are You Reading is a fun weekly meme now hosted by Kathryn at Book Date, where we share what we've read and reviewed over the past week and what we plan to read next.

Happy June! I am glad that summer is finally here though I know it will go by quickly. I've got a busy summer planned at work as well as a possible family trip at some point. My book group is also planning a field trip. Last year we went to a winery (it tied in with a book we read). This year we have a couple of places we are looking into.

Last month I participated in the Clean Sweep ARC Challenge and I read 11 ARCs. It may seem like a lot of ARCs to cross off my list but I have so many waiting on my Kindle still that it is just a drop in the bucket. Now I need to get caught up on writing reviews!

This week is the first week of our summer reading program at the library. Tomorrow night I have a rock painting workshop to tie in with the theme of "Build a Better World". Painting rocks (and leaving them for people to find) is such a big thing these days. Someone keeps leaving painted rocks at the library too.  


Last week on my blog:


The Names They Gave Us by Emery Lord (review)


Books read:



Lillian Boxfish Takes a Walk by Kathleen Rooney

This is the book we selected for May in my evening book group. It didn't have much of a plot but some of the story was interesting. I thought it was an okay book but not something I'd rave about.



It was great to catch up with my favorite characters from the first book. I mostly enjoyed this one though I prefer The Supremes at Earl's All-You-Can-Eat


Not a Sound by Heather Gudenkauf

This was a suspenseful book but at times I was frustrated with the main character because she kept putting herself in dangerous situations while investigating. 


Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher

While this book was a page turner it definitely wasn't a book I enjoyed reading. I felt sorry for Hannah and what she experienced but I was also really angry with her. I thought what she did to Clay was awful. I think her suicide was motivated by guilt, loneliness and depression but also revenge. It was just a sad book. I know the show is getting a lot of buzz and I might check it out but after reading the book I'm not so sure.


Currently reading:




The Summer House by Hannah McKinnon

So far this book is dragging for me though I've heard it is good. Maybe it will get better but right now I find it kind of boring though it started well enough. I liked Mystic Summer much more.


On my TBR pile:


The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo by Taylor Jenkins Reid

I have heard this is excellent and I liked One True Loves so hopefully I will like this book too. If The Summer House doesn't get better I may switch to reading this instead.

The Undateable by Sarah Title

I think this sounds like a fun romance. I like that the series is about librarians. The first book features a college librarian who becomes a meme when someone shares a picture of her rolling her eyes at a marriage proposal (not hers). A women's magazine wants to do a series of articles on her as an "undateable" woman by finding her dates.


In This Moment by Karma Brown

I thought The Choices We Make was really good and I think this sounds intriguing too. It reminds me of something Kristin Hannah might write.



New books received:



Not a Sound by Heather Gudenkauf (for review)


Words in Deep Blue by Cath Crowley (for review)

Royally Romanov by Teri Wilson (for review)

Royally Roma by Teri Wilson (purchased)

The Undateable by Sarah Title (library book)

Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher (library book)

In a Perfect World by Trish Doller (library book)

You're The One That I Want by Giovanna Fletcher (library book)



9 comments:

  1. I'm so glad summer is here! And I hope you get to take your trips. Painting rocks sounds like it be a nice relaxing activity.

    I watched 13 Reasons and while I thought it was very thought provoking (and I agree w/ your take), I'm not sure I want to read it.

    You're The One That I want looks nice too even though it's not my kind of read- but I love the fun whimsical cover design.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you have a really busy summer planned! I think it will go fast for sure. You've reminded me I need to look into our library's reading program . . . We can't attend any of the events because of my work schedule, but we can at least read books to earn coupons and prizes. It's another way to keep Mouse reading this summer. :-)

    I'm debating reading Thirteen Reasons Why. I kind of want to see the show, but I know it will make me sad and angry. I am curious about the Gudenkauf book, although it does sound like the main character doesn't always make the best choices.

    I hope you have a great week, Christina!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Garin Regional Park is a place where rock painters leave their treasures. Usually they are painted as ladybugs but sometimes other things like Minions. I always look when I go but I've never found one.

    Armchair Book Expo, getting ready to move, drama club, and a volunteers' tea. Come see what I'm reading this week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I felt the same way about 13 Reasons Why. I'm glad I finally read it, but it was just an ok book for me. I really disliked Hannah and how she handled things. I was super frustrated reading the book. I'm sorry to hear you are struggling with The Summer House. It does get better! I think you'll love Seven Husbands --- a really awesome book and very well written. I look forward to your thoughts on In a Perfect World!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been looking forward to The Summer House...but I'm sorry it is dragging for you. I am curious about The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo.

    Enjoy your week, and here are MY WEEKLY UPDATES

    ReplyDelete
  6. Some great looking titles and yes the heroine did put herself in situations I thought were not well thought out too, but still loved the book. Took a peek at your anticipating ones. Loved Cafe by the Sea - I think it was the setting that appealed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am glad for summer as well! And what a fun library night! We are doing a family craft night this month, and I think we might do rock painting, and have the kids pick places to leave them. I am looking forward to it!

    The Teri Wilson books look fun!

    Thirteen Reasons Why ~ I have to agree. It does seem on some level like Hannah's suicide was partially motivated by revenge, which is a little icky. She wanted to make them pay, or something. It was a really hard show to watch.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful selection of reads.

    ReplyDelete
  9. In This Moment and Not a Sound are two of your titles that I'm looking forward to picking up. Too bad some of them didn't work for you-- happens, and we move on :) Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete

Reading Extensively is now an award free blog. Thanks for stopping by! Please leave a comment. I enjoy receiving feedback! Due to increase in spam, I've enabled comment moderation. Sorry for any inconvenience!