Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Best of 2011 (Armchair BEA)

Today's topic for Armchair BEA is to talk about 2011 books that are our favorites so far and any upcoming 2011 books that might turn out to be favorites.


My favorites so far:

Delirium by Lauren Oliver

I read this one as an ARC last year but it is definitely one of my favorites. I loved the idea behind it. I was disappointed a little that what I thought was a stand alone novel has been turned into a trilogy but I am eager to read more about Lena and what happens next for her.



Across the Universe by Beth Revis

I am not really a fan of science fiction but this book reads more like a dystopian novel and it just pulled me in from the first creepy page.


Between Shades of Gray by Ruta Sepetys

This book blew me away. I don't know how popular it will be among teen readers (the trend indicates that historical fiction is out and paranormal/dystopian is in) but this powerful and moving story is based on very real events and I hope teens will not be afraid to try it just because it is historical fiction.



Ten Miles Past Normal by Frances O'Roark Dowell

This is one of those books I didn't plan to read. I saw it featured on GalleyGrab and thought that since it was free, I'd just give it a try for the heck of it. Now I am so glad I did! While it may not be on the level of Between Shades of Gray or Delirium it is a really good story about a young woman just starting high school and trying to figure out who she is. It is also pretty funny and features some great characters. It kind of reminded me of Into the Wild Nerd Yonder for a slightly younger audience.



Fury of the Phoenix by Cindy Pon

The sequel to Silver Phoenix was a fantastic fantasy novel with a strong heroine. While I kind of prefer Silver Phoenix, I thought Cindy Pon did an excellent job with this book especially by giving us a new understanding of the villain from the first book. She is a talented author and I can't wait to see what she comes up with next.


The Dark and Hollow Places by Carrie Ryan

The final book in Ryan's zombie series makes my list even though it wasn't a 5 star read because I thought it was an excellent way to conclude the series. The protagonist was my favorite among the three books.



Demonglass by Rachel Hawkins

I almost didn't read this book. I had high expectations for Hex Hall and while I liked it, I didn't love it. I wasn't sure I wanted to take the time to read Demonglass but I am glad I did. Demonglass was not a five star read but I was really pleased with it. It is rare for the second book to be better than the first but that is how I felt about this sequel. The ending is a cliffhanger too and I hate that I have to wait so long to find out what happens!



Sideways on a Scooter by Miranda Kennedy

This book makes my list because it is rare for me to read a nonfiction book so absorbing that it feels like fiction. It usually takes me weeks and a lot of determination but I read this in just a few days. I found Miranda's account of her time in India and the people she meets to be fascinating. I liked the emphasis on women's lives and I liked how she used Bollywood movies to illustrate her point.


Books that I anticipate will become favorites:


Forever by Maggie Stiefvater

This is one of those highly anticipated finales. I love Maggie Stiefvater's writing and this series is my favorite of hers.


The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater

I watched a video of Maggie discussing this book and while she doesn't give away all of the synopsis it sounds fantastic. As I mentioned above I am a big fan of her writing so I am sure this will be excellent-plus it features water horses.



Crossed by Ally Condie

I really enjoyed Matched when I read it last year so this one is a given for my list. Not sure how it will measure up but I am hopeful. Note: I do hate the cover. The one for Matched was so much better.


Heartless by Gail Carriger

This is one of my favorite series and people are probably tired of hearing me talk about it. Heartless promises to be just as funny and entertaining as the previous books. I can't wait to read about Alexia's latest adventures.


Clockwork Prince by Cassandra Clare

I was surprised that I couldn't bring myself to put City of Fallen Angels on my list but it didn't quite meet my high expectations. I have a better feeling about Clockwork Prince though. I kind of liked the steampunk feel and that it was set in Victorian England as opposed to modern New York.


Beautiful Chaos by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl

I love the writing of this Southern Gothic series and while I thought Beautiful Creatures was better than Beautiful Darkness, I can't wait to return to Gatlin and its fascinating characters.


Eona: The Last Dragoneye by Alison Goodman

This book was published last month but I haven't read it yet. Based on how I felt about Eon: Dragoneye Reborn I am betting that this will turn out to be among my favorites of 2011.

That's my list. What do you think of the titles I chose?
Are any of them on your list of 2011 favorites?

4 comments:

  1. I agree that Delirium is definitely one of 2011,s best. I am also waiting impatiently for Heartless to come out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Across the Universe is on my wishlist.

    In 2009 I decided to step away reviewing for publishers and publicists. I felt like I was losing my focus and drifting from my mission statement of sharing the joys of reading. Call it taking a librarian's approach to blogging. Come see what I mean.

    ReplyDelete
  3. love your books you chose! i'm a GFC follower of your blog now! we have alot of the same favs!

    mine are mostly dystopians! check out my list and follow me back?! =]

    http://lindsaycummingsblog.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think CP will be one of my favourites too-great choices =]

    ReplyDelete

Reading Extensively is now an award free blog. Thanks for stopping by! Please leave a comment. I enjoy receiving feedback! Due to increase in spam, I've enabled comment moderation. Sorry for any inconvenience!