Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Review: Linger

Linger
By Maggie Stiefvater
Publication date: July 13, 2010

My review:

In this riveting sequel to Shiver, Sam is exploring what the changes in his life mean for his future, Grace is dealing with unexpected headaches, Isobel is dealing with the fallout from events in Shiver, and Cole, a new wolf, is introduced. Grace and Sam's relationship deepens even as it experiences roadblocks in the form of Grace's parents. Just when it looks like Grace and Sam have found their storybook ending, events are set in motion that could drive them apart forever. The story is told in the alternating viewpoints of Grace, Sam, Isobel, and Cole.

Maggie Stiefvater is an incredibly talented author and while the sophomore book in a trilogy is sometimes lacking in quality that was not the case with LingerFrom the first page, the story captures the reader's attention. The writing is lyrical and I enjoyed reading the snippets of poetry and Sam's lyrics. The chapters about Grace and Sam are excellent but the addition of Cole and Isobel changes the dynamic of the book from Shiver. There is a lack of that intimate portrayal of the story and Cole almost feels like an intruder at times. Still he provides a nice contrast to Sam and Cole's back story while not as poignant as Sam's is still intriguing. I look forward to reading more about him in the next book. Linger ends with a cliffhanger that will leave the reader anxiously awaiting the release of Forever in July 2011.

Readalikes: Nightshade by Andra Cremer, 13 to Life by Shannon Delany, Delirium by Lauren Oliver

2 comments:

  1. I got that same vibe from Cole, too! It's been awhile since I read this one, but I do remember being surprised by how much I liked it. And ohhh that LINGER cliffhanger! Can't wait till FOREVER comes out, that's for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read this book and did not really like it. I think that she was trying to hard with the story and the way it played out. but that is just me.

    ReplyDelete

Reading Extensively is now an award free blog. Thanks for stopping by! Please leave a comment. I enjoy receiving feedback! Due to increase in spam, I've enabled comment moderation. Sorry for any inconvenience!