Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Top Ten Beach Reads

Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created at The Broke and the Bookish. There is a new subject each week and this week's theme is "Beach Reads".

When it comes to beach reads or summer themed books, my list usually includes authors like Sarah Dessen, Mary Kay Andrews and Morgan Matson. This week I'll be sharing my list of books I've read recently that would make good beach reads as well as books I plan to read this summer.

Books to read on the beach or during summer:



The Unexpected Everything by Morgan Matson

I really enjoyed this novel about a young woman whose summer plans go out the window. I also blame this book for my recent ice cream binge :)

Wanderlost by Jen Malone

Can't go to Europe this summer? Armchair travel with this book instead! I loved reading about the places that the they got to visit but I also liked the characters especially the zany senior citizens on the tour.

The Flip Side by Shawn Johnson

Gear up for watching the summer Olympics with this book about an elite gymnast who hides her athletic talent from her friends at school so she can have a more "normal" life.  Plus it's written by Shawn Johnson so it should be accurate!


Summer of Sloane by Erin L. Schneider

This book involves healing a broken heart on the beaches of Hawaii. While I thought the setting could have been more memorable, it was still a fun and engrossing read.


The Weekenders by Mary Kay Andrews

This book makes my list with some reservations. I thought there were too many points of view and I was a little disappointed by the way the mystery storyline was resolved. Still it was fun and I liked the setting.


A Window Opens by Elisabeth Egan

This book was published last summer but I didn't get around to it till this year and I really enjoyed it. 


Books I plan to read this summer (though sadly not on a beach):


Love & Gelato by Jenna Evans Welch

More armchair travel plus gelato equals win for me! I plan to read this one soon. I'll be sure to stock up on gelato first :)


Paper and Fire by Rachel Caine

Ink and Bone was one of my favorite books of 2015 so I have been anticipating this sequel. While it is darker than the typical summer book I like to read, I know I will love it. Besides I read Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows in the summer of 2007 and I'm sure this won't be as sad as that one. I hope!

Harry Potter and the Cursed Child by J.K. Rowling

Speaking of Harry Potter...I am so excited to read this script though I know it won't be the same as her novels. When are they going to release a final cover? The book will be out in less than two months!

Crowned and Dangerous by Rhys Bowen

I love this fun historical mystery series so I can't wait to read the next installment.

4 comments:

  1. Oh gosh, this is my favorite list that I've seen so far! The unexpected everything is on mine as well, I absolutely loved that one :) I just bought wanderlost today, and am so excited to armchair travel to europe through that one! I hadn't heard of the flip side, but it looks so awesome, and of course I am so excited for the cursed child! love this list!
    here's my TTT!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm hoping to read Paper and Fire this summer too, though I might not get around to it with the mountain of other books I have to read!
    My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2016/05/31/top-ten-tuesday-59/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love and Gelato would definitely be on my list too, and in fact I did add that one to my TBR recently. It sounds fun. :) And the cover of The Unexpected Everything does make me kinda want ice cream lol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So at least 4 of these are now on my summer reading list! This summer will be spent traveling only via armchair, so I am excited to dive into some of these!

    ReplyDelete

Reading Extensively is now an award free blog. Thanks for stopping by! Please leave a comment. I enjoy receiving feedback! Due to increase in spam, I've enabled comment moderation. Sorry for any inconvenience!