Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Waiting on Wednesday (163)

"Waiting on" Wednesday is a weekly meme to discuss upcoming books we can't wait to get our hands on. Waiting on Wednesday is hosted by Jill at Breaking the Spine.

This week, I'm waiting on:

Madly by Amy Alward
Release date: September 29, 2015

Samantha may be falling for the beloved of the princess she is sent to save in this start to a hilarious, adventurous, and sweetly romantic trilogy.

When Samantha is summoned to the royal court of Nova for a secret mission, it’s her chance to put her training to the test: Princess Evelyn has taken an illegal love potion with disastrous effects, and Samantha, like her ancestors before her, is great at mixing potions. She may not be one of the naturally Talented—those who can heal or transform at the wave of their hands—but she is skilled nonetheless, and determined to find an antidote and cure Princess Evelyn.

The problem? Princess Evelyn took the love potion to make her best friend Zain fall for her—and it’s Zain who Samantha keeps encountering on her hunt for antidote ingredients. As forbidden sparks between them fly, Samantha is forced to wonder: will curing Princess Evelyn doom her own chance at love?

I think this sounds kind of cute. Reminds me a little of Poison by Bridget Zinn, a debut I read a few years ago that I really liked.


Serpentine by Cindy Pon
Release date: September 8, 2015

Inspired by the rich history of Chinese mythology, this sweeping fantasy is set in the ancient Kingdom of Xia and tells the coming of age story of Skybright, a young girl who worries about her growing otherness. As she turns 16, Skybright notices troubling changes. By day, she is a companion and handmaid to the youngest daughter of a very wealthy family. But nighttime brings with it a darkness that not even daybreak can quell. When her plight can no longer be denied, Skybright learns that despite a dark destiny, she must struggle to retain her sense of self – even as she falls in love for the first time.

This is set in the same world as Silver Phoenix, a novel I loved and its sequel Fury of the Phoenix but Serpentine is a standalone novel. I really liked Cindy Pon's writing style so I am looking forward to giving this one a try too.


6 comments:

  1. Both sound really good, Christina! You are right....Madly does sound similar to Poison. I will definitely have to check that one out. Great picks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These both sound so intriguing...hope you love them. Thanks for sharing...and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Madly by Amy Alward sounds really intriguing. Great pick!

    Sofia @ SofiaLovesReading

    ReplyDelete
  4. They both look good, but I love the cover on the second one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These both sound great and have such great covers. I think I am more drawn to the first one but I may eventually check both of them out.

    ReplyDelete

Reading Extensively is now an award free blog. Thanks for stopping by! Please leave a comment. I enjoy receiving feedback! Due to increase in spam, I've enabled comment moderation. Sorry for any inconvenience!