Sunday, August 2, 2015

Sunday Post (14) / It's Monday, What Are You Reading



The Sunday Post is a weekly meme hosted by Kimba @ Caffeinated Book Reviewer. It’s a chance to share news. A post to recap the past week, showcase books and things we have received and share news about what is coming up on our blog for the week ahead. It's Monday, What Are You Reading is a fun weekly meme hosted by Sheila at Book Journey where we share what we've read and reviewed over the past week and what we plan to read next. I will also be sharing my It's Monday post on Twitter #IMWAYR.

I had a quiet week and weekend which was kind of nice since August will be a pretty busy month and this was my only free weekend. Yesterday I read, wrote reviews and baked (in the morning before it got really hot!) and did some grocery shopping. Next weekend I work and then I will be in Canada for about 2 week so I probably won't be blogging as much in August except for scheduled posts.

This coming week is the back to school clothing swap at the library. I have no idea what kind of turnout we'll get but I'm anticipating a decent crowd. I have a volunteer lined up to help me set up and sort through the clothes when they come in but I'm a little nervous about how it will go. Next week is our fair and I'll be working a shift at the bookmobile. I'm one of the two members of the fair committee so I'll be busy with last minute prep this week. I'm in charge of putting together a display of pictures from our events and activities. 



Last week on my blog:

The Kiss of Deception by Mary E. Pearson (review)


Books read:


If You Only Knew by Kristan Higgins

This was a little different from Higgins' other books since it isn't a romance novel but I liked it. It's about two sisters and the issues they are dealing with in their personal lives as well as their relationship with each other and their mom. There is some romance but it isn't the main focus of the book.


The Other Daughter by Lauren Willig

I had worried that this book would be all about revenge and bitterness but it really wasn't. I liked it more than I thought I would though the end left me feeling just a little disappointed. 


Currently reading:


This Heart of Mine by Brenda Novak

I thought I was all done with the Whiskey Creek series after being disappointed with the previous two novels (because of the subplot with Cheyenne) but then I started seeing all the really positive reviews for this book and decided to give it a try and I'm glad I did. So far I'm reminded of why I initially liked this series and it is shaping up to be one of the better books. I like the main character Phoenix and how hard she is trying to create a new life for herself after getting out of prison even while being judged by the town.


What I might read next:


Ink and Bone by Rachel Caine

I've heard that this book is amazing (and the sample chapter I read was very good) but I've also heard that the author doesn't hesitate to kill off characters so I guess I better not get too attached to anyone while I read. The Library is kind of a bad place that controls the world (it's illegal to own books) which is an interesting premise.


Kitchens of the Great Midwest by J. Ryan Stradal

I wasn't really planning to read this though I did see that it was getting a lot of buzz. Then I read some sample chapters from First Look Book Club and I really liked the writing so I'm going to give it a try.


Evergreen Falls by Kimberley Freeman

This cover is really striking but I wanted to read the book because I loved one of the author's previous titles, Lighthouse Bay. I usually enjoy books with dual stories set in different time periods too. This one takes place in the 1920s and modern day in the Blue Mountains of Australia.


Mechanica by Betsy Cornwell

This is a new steampunk fantasy retelling of Cinderella that features a protagonist who is an inventor. I have heard good things about it so far.


New books received:


Soundless by Richelle Mead (for review)

A Curious Beginning by Deanna Raybourn (for review)

Dumplin' by Julie Murphy (for review)

Mechanica by Betsy Cornwell (for review)

Evergreen Falls by Kimberley Freeman (for review)

A Winter Wedding by Brenda Novak (for review)

Kitchens of the Great Midwest by J. Ryan Stradal (for review)

This Heart of Mine by Brenda Novak (purchased)


9 comments:

  1. Yay for baking, what did you make? We luckily had some cooler weather these past few weeks so I baked a bit more these weeks. When it's too warm I have less motivation to bake.

    Ink and Bone sounds so good, I really hope I can grab my copy of it soon. Oh and you had a nice haul this week. I have Soundless pre-ordered, I am a big fan of Richelle Mead her books. I think I own one Brenda Novak book, the first in a series, but haven't read it yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It does sound like you have a busy August. Sometimes quiet weekends are nice

    I think I'm going to get Kiss of deception, that looks like a series I might like. Your review was good and I've seen positive about the enxt one, too, so I'm definitely interested.

    Kitchens of the Great Midwest looks interesting. And I don't have Mechanica, but I did read Tides by the same author and thought it was pretty good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the heads up about the Kristin Higgins book, I have it to read this month. I don't mind that it is mostly about two sisters as I prefer books that have elements of romance but something more. Sounds like this one might have that.
    I need to read a N author so I thought I might read Brenda Novak's latest. I read the one at the beginning but that's all. I too have noticed the positive reviews around for it. Enjoy your reading week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay for baking! Hope the sale has a good turn out. :)

    I've heard incredible things about Ink and Bone. The cover's pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope the clothing swap is successful, we were at a school fete/fair on the weekend and I picked up quite a few adorable outfits for my granddaughter. And I'm hoping to do some baking today, when I've finished blog commenting :)

    Your book line-up has me drooling. I love the cover of Evergreen Falls, hope the story lives up to it. And I'm grabbing Ink and Bone, just based on what you've heard lol. And I'm hoping to get to If You Only Knew next week.

    Have a great week and happy reading :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It sounds like you had a relaxing weekend. I felt disappointed a little by the Other Daughter's ending as well. I enjoyed the book, but it wasn't my favorite of her novels. I also am interested in your thoughts on Evergreen Falls...sounds like my kind of read. I also am dying to read Soundless...I hope it doesn't disappoint! I hope you had a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Lauren Willig book is the one I am so hoping to find. Eventually.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My week was pretty quiet too. It was nice. :)

    Kitchens of the Great Midwest looks good! I will have to look it up.

    Have fun in Canada!! We live a hop, skip, and a jump from Canada and I have been only a handful of times. I can even see Canada everyday, across the Detroit River!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your book lineup here! Your August does sound busy - are you going to Canada for work or vacation? We just went there in April - it was super cold then but we are hoping to go back during warmer climes sometime.

    ReplyDelete

Reading Extensively is now an award free blog. Thanks for stopping by! Please leave a comment. I enjoy receiving feedback! Due to increase in spam, I've enabled comment moderation. Sorry for any inconvenience!