Monday, March 31, 2014

It's Monday, What Are You Reading (173)



It's Monday, What Are You Reading is a fun weekly meme hosted by Sheila at Book Journey where we share what we've read and reviewed over the past week and what we plan to read next.

I had another busy week though I did finish three books. I am very behind on writing reviews and I had hoped to post one last week but I didn't get a chance to. Maybe this week I will have some time to write more.

I am glad that it is warming up again though I have a feeling it won't last. We had snow yesterday but it has already melted and it is supposed to hit 60 tomorrow. This coming weekend I will be going home to stay with my mom for the weekend. She is now able to walk a little bit without the use of her walker and she even went out shopping with my dad to Kohl's yesterday and he took her out to eat at Olive Garden. That is something she always enjoyed before she got sick so it is wonderful that she is able to get out again.



Books read:


The Book Thief by Markus Zusak (reread)

I love this book and the writing style and I felt like I appreciated it even more after rereading it. My book group liked it as well and we enjoyed talking about both the book and the movie adaptation which is a little different from the book but still really good.


Unmasking Juliet by Teri Wilson

This is a contemporary romance inspired by Romeo and Juliet without all the tragedy and death. Juliet and Leo come from feuding families in the chocolate business but they fall for each other after meeting at a masked ball. It is both funny and steamy and a little over the top at times but I liked it. The author also wrote a book inspired by Pride and Prejudice that I want to check out.


The Kiss of Deception by Mary E. Pearson

Initially I wasn't sure I would like this and there were a few times when I was frustrated by the main character but I did like the story. It reminded me a little bit of The Girl of Fire and Thorns by Rae Carson but with more emphasis on romance and less politics. 


Currently reading:


Save the Date by Mary Kay Andrews

I usually enjoy Mary Kay Andrews's books and I really like this one so far. It is set in Savannah, my favorite Southern city.


A Fine Romance: Falling in Love with the English Countryside by Susan Branch

This book is great for armchair travelers as long as they don't mind that it is handwritten. I like the style and the stories of the author's visit to England.


What I plan to read next:


Empire Girls by Suzanne Hayes and Loretta Nyhan


10 comments:

  1. You've got a nice bunch of mixed reads. Always the best kind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoy spending time with your mum, it's so nice to read your updates on how much she's improving! I'm behind on reviews too, always seem to be chasing my tail, hope we both get back on track without stressing :)
    I like the cover of Kiss of Deception and I quite enjoyed The Girl of Fire and Thorns so I think I'd enjoy this one. I still haven't read The Book Thief but I thought the movie was beautiful! Have a great week and happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your eclectic style, similar to mine. I would like to read The Kiss of Deception and Save the Date. And I might one of only a handful of bloggers who has not ever read The Book Thief. I will have to remedy that. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Unmasking Juliet sounds like a fun read... I hope you enjoy all of your upcoming reads!
    :-)
    Bits & Bobs

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved both the book and movie if a The Book Thief as well. A unique story. :)
    http://youmeandacupofteablog.blogspot.com/2014/03/nananananananana-monday.html?m=1

    ReplyDelete
  6. We're supposed to be in the 60's today, then cooling back down a bit for the rest of the week. Nice little teaser of spring though. Glad your mom is getting to do some things she likes, that always seems to help with healing. Hope everything goes well there.

    Looks like you had some good reads this past week. I like the looks of the English countryside book, since that's a topic I enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Unmasking Juliet and Save the Date both sound awesome! I love Mary Kay Andrews but I haven't read that one yet.

    I am glad to hear your mom is out and about. I think that is healing too; being able to leave the house and do things you enjoy speeds your healing process, I think. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Unmasking Juliet seems really cute and I had no idea there was another book based on P&P….will have to check that out as well. I can't wait to hear your thoughts on Save the Date. Her books make for excellent beach reads (my fave!) and Savannah is my favorite southern city as well. I would move there if I could! I also can't wait to hear your thoughts on Empire Girls…looks fun! I'm glad to hear your mom is doing better. That is fantastic!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I had completely missed what was going on with your mom. I'm so sorry! I'm glad to read that she's doing better now. I hope she continues to improve.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So glad to hear you enjoyed The Book Thief as I thought it was great too.

    ReplyDelete

Reading Extensively is now an award free blog. Thanks for stopping by! Please leave a comment. I enjoy receiving feedback! Due to increase in spam, I've enabled comment moderation. Sorry for any inconvenience!