Sunday, March 23, 2014

It's Monday, What Are You Reading (172)



It's Monday, What Are You Reading is a fun weekly meme hosted by Sheila at Book Journey where we share what we've read and reviewed over the past week and what we plan to read next.

I haven't had the chance to participate in this meme since the beginning of February right before my mom became ill. This week we should finally have an official diagnosis for whatever caused her coma in the first place. She is doing a lot better now and is getting stronger every day and she goes to physical therapy three times a week. She is so determined to improve and walk without a walker and she has a great attitude about it all. I will be going to stay with her in two weeks.




Last week I had the chance to go to the PLA library conference in Indianapolis where I got to meet Susanna Kearsley, one of my favorite authors. She signed a copy of The Splendour Falls which I still haven't read. I guess that means I need to make time to read it soon! I also was able to attend the author lunch and book signing with John Green. He is an excellent speaker and also really nice. My sister and I stood in line for an hour and a half to get signed copies of The Fault in Our Stars for her and my step-niece. 

With all the traveling and other stuff going on I haven't had much time to read this month. I am currently rushing to reread The Book Thief before my book group meeting on Tuesday! I did finally get to watch the movie and I loved it.


Books reviewed:


Heartbeat by Elizabeth Scott
Better Off Friends by Elizabeth Eulberg


Books read:


Faking Normal by Courtney C. Stevens

Faking Normal covers a similar topic to Speak but it is written in a different way. I really liked the character of Bodee and though I think Speak is better, I think this book has a really important message too.


Mambo in Chinatown by Jean Kwok

I loved Girl in Translation and so I was eager to read Mambo in Chinatown. It features ballroom dancing and there is even a cameo from Kimberly (main character in Girl in Translation). 


One Plus One by Jojo Moyes

I really loved the characters in One Plus One. It has a different tone compared to Me Before You but I still thought it was fantastic. It reminded me of a combination of Liane Moriarty and Sophie Kinsella. It would make such a cute movie! 



I finally finished this book after giving up on it early on due to pacing issues. I am glad I had to keep reading (it is the afternoon book group selection for this month) because it definitely got better. I am curious to see how the other members of the book group found it.


Currently reading:


The Book Thief by Markus Zusak (reread)

I love this book and I am enjoying rereading it though I do wish that Death didn't give away so much! I think the movie was a good adaptation and I was surprised by the negative reviews.


What I plan to read next:


Empire Girls by Suzanne Hayes and Loretta Nyhan

I will be reading this book for review elsewhere. I love that time period and for some reason the premise of this book reminds me of Sense and Sensibility though there is no reference to it as any kind of adaptation.



This is an enchanting travel journal with painted illustrations, photos, and really pretty writing. It is like a scrapbook of the author and her husband's travels and how they fell in love. I started reading it already and I'm enjoying her descriptions of their voyage on the Queen Mary 2. I'm looking forward to reading about her experiences in England. It is my lifelong dream to go there one day (though I think I'd fly instead of sailing especially after reading about her seasickness!). 


10 comments:

  1. What great authors to meet! I am glad your mom is doing better. I brought home Faking Normal last week, and look forward to it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do so like the storyline behind The Book Thief. Your last book sounds really good too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy to hear your mum is doing better, she sounds like a very determined lady. Sending positive and healing thoughts your mum's way.

    I loved The Book Thief movie too and I'm so glad to hear you loved The One Plus One ... I agree, I could see it making a very cute movie. I've seen some great reviews for Faking Normal, it's on my wishlist.

    Have a wonderful week and happy reading :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good to hear your Mom is improving. You have a number of books I intend reading some time in the year or next. You know how it is with all the great reading recs around. I bet meeting Susanna Kearsley was awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tell me if I'm wrong, but I saw a huge stack of Jojo Moyes books on display and I walked away. Too many too fast, I thought. Maybe these are old books?

    Here's my It's Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad your mom is doing better. That's great you can stay with her soon. Oh, and that's awesome you met Susanna Kearsley and John Green. So jealous! I have had my eyes on Empire Girls, so you will have to let me know what you think of it. Isn't The Book Thief awesome?! Enjoy your books this week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's great news about your mom, best wishes and hope everything is better for her going forward. The conference in Indy looks nice and A Fine Romance sounds like a great travel journal. I enjoy reading about the English countryside.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am glad to hear that your mom is doing better!! It will be nice to get a diagnosis.

    One Plus One and Empire Girls look fabulous! A Fine Romance also looks really good!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just realized I forgot to fangirl over your meeting John Green!!! I would love to meet him!! I would wait hours and hours probably!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad to hear your mum is getting better - may she go from strength to strength. I've had so many people recommend The 100 year old man I think I'm going to have to download it. Book Thief is one of my all time favourites. You can check out my Monday here http://www.kyliesreads.blogspot.com.au/2014/03/its-monday-what-are-you-reading_24.html

    ReplyDelete

Reading Extensively is now an award free blog. Thanks for stopping by! Please leave a comment. I enjoy receiving feedback! Due to increase in spam, I've enabled comment moderation. Sorry for any inconvenience!