Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Review: The World of Downton Abbey

The World of Downton Abbey
By Jessica Fellowes
Publication date: December 6, 2011

My review:

The World of Downton Abbey is a companion book to the hit television series. In addition to pictures from the set there is background information on the real lives and events that inspired the show. There are chapters that cover the life of servants, fashion, society, the war, behind the scenes of the show, and more. 

I found the book to be easy to read though I do wish that it was a little better organized in terms of insets. I'd be reading the main chapter and then there would be an inset of information that would break up the flow. Still, there is plenty of interesting information here for fans of the show.  Another bonus is the list of resources  for further reading. My favorite part of the book were all the beautiful stills from the show. I also loved the chapters on society, life in service, and fashion. I find that historical time period to be fascinating. 

If you are a fan of the series and interested in learning more about the time period, this is a fun place to start. The writing style makes the book flow easily so it doesn't read like a dry textbook. Though The World of Downton Abbey is available as an e-book and audio book, I would strongly suggest reading the hardcover in order to appreciate the visual beauty of the book to its fullest.



2 comments:

  1. I *so* need to read this! I own it but I've been caught up in other books. I think it would be great for me to read a section a night and just savor the beautiful pictures.

    ReplyDelete

Reading Extensively is now an award free blog. Thanks for stopping by! Please leave a comment. I enjoy receiving feedback! Due to increase in spam, I've enabled comment moderation. Sorry for any inconvenience!