Tuesday, January 31, 2017

Top Ten Tuesday: Graphic Novels



Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created at The Broke and the Bookish. There is a new subject each week and this week's theme is "Top Ten Graphic Novels".

I don't read many graphic novels but here are a few that I liked. The first two are based on the authors' youth. In Persepolis, Marjane Satrapi writes about her childhood in Iran during the revolution and in March: Vol. 1, John Lewis describes his involvement with the civil rights movement as a young man. 


Persepolis: Vol. 1 by Marjane Satrapi

March: Vol. 1 by John Lewis

American Born Chinese by Gene Luen Yang

Gene Luen Yang writes about what it's like to grow up Chinese American using three different narratives that somehow intersect. One boy just wants to fit in and be "All American" and another is embarrassed by his visiting cousin's antics. The third story is about the Monkey King who wants to join the gods but is rejected.

Ms. Marvel: No Normal by G. Willow Wilson

Kamala Khan is a young Pakistani American teen who suddenly finds herself with superpowers. She decides to become a superhero and use her powers to help others but she has to hide her activities from her strict (but loving) parents.  


Nimona by Noelle Stevenson

Nimona wants to be a sidekick to supervillain Sir Ballister Blackheart but he is having none of it. She ignores this and set about showing him how useful she can be as he attempts to get revenge on Sir Ambrosius Goldenloin by proving that he isn't really a hero. 


Agent Gates and the Secret Adventures of Devonton Abbey by Camaren Subhiyah

Agent Gates is a spoof of Downton Abbey. The illustrator captures the characters of the original very well and the names make it easy to figure out who is who (Agent Gates=Mr. Bates, O'Malley=O'Brien, etc.). It is a fun story that combines espionage and Downton Abbey.

5 comments:

  1. I love the sound of Agent Gates -- so much fun! I also want to check out March. Thanks for sharing these as graphic novels are very much new-to-me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. American Born Chinese sounds good, and I've heard the new Ms. Marvel is supposed to be pretty good too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great list! I loved all of them except for the Agent Gates one which I thought was just okay.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never read a comic book.So The only ones I read were the VA and Percy Jackson graphic novels. But we did something a little different. Allyson added some comics she read on her list.
    Also check out our easy to enter Valentine's giveaway!

    I never read a comic book.So The only ones I read were the VA and Percy Jackson graphic novels. But we did something a little different. Allyson added some comics she read on her list.
    Also check out our easy to enter Valentine's giveaway!

    My TTT.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just added March to my ever growing reading wishlist!! It looks like an awesome read!!

    Here's a link to my TTT post for this week:
    http://captivatedreader.blogspot.com/2017/01/top-ten-tuesday-top-eleven-coffee-table.html

    ReplyDelete

Reading Extensively is now an award free blog. Thanks for stopping by! Please leave a comment. I enjoy receiving feedback! Due to increase in spam, I've enabled comment moderation. Sorry for any inconvenience!