Sunday, January 22, 2017

Sunday Post (76) / It's Monday, What Are You Reading



The Sunday Post is a weekly meme hosted by Kimberly @ Caffeinated Book Reviewer. It’s a post to recap the past week, showcase books and things we have received and share news about what is coming up on our blog for the week ahead. It's Monday, What Are You Reading is a fun weekly meme now hosted by Kathryn at Book Date, where we share what we've read and reviewed over the past week and what we plan to read next.

It's been a long week and I'm glad it's the weekend. I had the day off Wednesday and did some much needed cleaning and decluttering though I still have a long way to go. 





At work on Thursday, a patron asked me if I was American because I don't "look American"-her words (she seemed to think Americans would look like her). It was part of a much longer conversation dealing with people from Pakistan and India and "what kind of people they are". She was rude and it bothered me but she was being unintentionally racist I think as her whole purpose in coming to the library was to learn Urdu and find out more about Pakistan because she recently met someone from there she wants to befriend. I ordered her a book on culture and etiquette in Pakistan among other things so hopefully she won't be rude to him too! 

I finally booked some library events for spring. Last March a local musician did a Celtic music concert for us at the coffee shop and he said he'd like to do it again this year and this time it is actually on St. Patrick's Day. I hope it will be as successful as last year's concert. I'm planning to ask him if he knows The Skye Boat Song. Last year he included tunes from The Hobbit and The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe so why not include a little Outlander (plus it is a legit Celtic song) :) The other event I'm really excited about is a paint night. I wanted to do one last year but didn't have enough in the budget so I'm glad it is working out this year. It is going to be in April during National Library Week. Now I need to come up with my programs for summer and I'll be golden.

Today is the seventh anniversary of my blog. Thanks for reading!



Last week on my blog:




Spinning Starlight by R.C. Lewis (review)




Books read:




Cold Sassy Tree by Olive Ann Burns

I finished this on Saturday afternoon. It took awhile to get into it and get past the vernacular writing. In the end, it just wasn't for me. I didn't really like the characters except maybe Miss Love. I'm betting my book group loved it though.



Born a Crime by Trevor Noah

I loved this book about comedian Trevor Noah's childhood growing up in South Africa as a biracial kid under Apartheid. You'd think it would be pretty depressing but he is a very funny writer as well as a thoughtful one and I learned a lot and laughed a lot too. He was such a rascal as a kid! The Audible book is free to Goodreads users. I highly recommend it as the author is the narrator. Find out how to get your copy here.



Currently reading:



Little Women by Louisa May Alcott (reread)


Currently listening to:



Starflight by Melissa Landers (reread)




On my TBR pile:





I have to read this for review. I hadn't heard about it before but it looks kind of interesting.



By Your Side by Kasie West




New books received:



The Romance Reader's Guide to Life by Sharon Pywell (for review)


March: Book One by John Lewis (library book)

March: Book Two by John Lewis (library book)

18 comments:

  1. Seven years! Wow, congratulations! *throws confetti* Your celtic music night sounds great. I know Skye Boat Song only from a celtic/ New Age performer I listen to, but it's a cool song. Good luck!

    I am sorry to hear about the rude patron, good grief why would someone even ask that? I grew up hearing about America as a melting pot, we're all from SOMEWHERE but here in 2017 we still have this? Sigh.

    Starflight was fun, hope you enjoy the re- read. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seven years Christina..that is amazing!! Congrats. I cannot even about the patron. I am so sadden by the things I have seen lately. Have a truly wonderful week and when you are done decluttering, feel free to come help me :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know if I would have handled that conversation as well as you did. I agree people don't always mean to be offensive but they just don't think. Hope you have more pleasant conversations this week and good luck planning your library events.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sorry that library patron was being rude to you, even if she didn't intentionally mean it. I mean what is wrong with everyone? Don't they understand Americans aren't actually AMERICAN? I would love for people like this to take the Ancestry DNA test. Anyway, I look forward to hearing more about your St. Patrick's Day celebration at your library. I would LOVE that. I also hope you enjoy your books. I am interested in Kasie West's latest novel. Have a great weekend and Happy Blogoversary! I love your blog and I hope you keep it up for many years. Yours is one of my favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy blogoversary! I enjoyed rereading Little Women as an adult. It was amazing how much my perspective changed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sigh..I still get the "where are you from?" question all the time. I hope you enjoy the March graphic novel series. It is certainly an eye opener. Happy Blogoversary!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooh, celtic music ON St. Patrick's Day ought to be super successful! It sounds like a lot of fun :)

    I'm curious to hear your thoughts on Starflight when you're done; it's on my TBR, and I've been debating about how high up on the list it should go.

    ~ Michelle @ FaerieFits

    ReplyDelete
  8. I did some decluttering too this weekend. Felt sooo good, so liberating. Congrats on your 7th year blogoversary!

    I'd like to read John Lewis' books too. Thanks for the tip on getting the Audible free for Trevor's book. Enjoy your reading week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the sound of your library - it sounds like a wonderful place. And you sound very organised!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats on the seven years, that is quite an achievement. What an extraordinary visitor you had to the library to make such a statement as "you don't look American"! I hope she awakens sometime soon. Decluttering sounds like a good think I should be doing! Enjoy your reads this week.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those are some good reads! Right now I am re-reading some old Anne McCaffrey novels! <3 - http://www.domesticgeekgirl.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm glad you were able to help that lady out, despite her unintentional racism. :( Some people really just don't think, or sometimes just don't get, what is rude and what is not.

    The Skye Boat Song was the lullaby my mom sang to me as a child. :) Her mom sang it to her.

    I downloaded Born a Crime over on Audible! Thanks for the tip. I love Trevor Noah!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congrats on seven years of blogging! I have been cleaning and decluttering our house as well, it's a big project but well worth the time. I really want to read Born A Crime, which I will hopefully get to this year. Hope you have a great reading week.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congrats on 7 years of blogging! Sometimes I look back at my life before blogging and realize how my perspective on reading has shifted.

    I am amazed at how rude people can be, but then again, look at the people in power here these days!

    Enjoy your week, and thanks for sharing. Here are MY WEEKLY UPDATES

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy Seventh Year Anniversary!!

    ENJOY all your books, and here's to continuing to enjoy your blog!!

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My It's Monday, What Are You Reading

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sorry about the patron. Congrats on 7 years. Sorry Cold Sassy Tree wasn't fantastic for you.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for the link to Trevor Noah Born A Crime! I might learn something.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sorry about the rude patron! It sounds like you have some fun library events coming up though. I know I always love the craft type of events at my library.

    Yay for enjoying Born a Crime. That's one I really want to read!

    -Lauren

    ReplyDelete

Reading Extensively is now an award free blog. Thanks for stopping by! Please leave a comment. I enjoy receiving feedback! Due to increase in spam, I've enabled comment moderation. Sorry for any inconvenience!