Sunday, December 18, 2016

Sunday Post (73) / It's Monday, What Are You Reading



The Sunday Post is a weekly meme hosted by Kimberly @ Caffeinated Book Reviewer. It’s a post to recap the past week, showcase books and things we have received and share news about what is coming up on our blog for the week ahead. It's Monday, What Are You Reading is a fun weekly meme now hosted by Kathryn at Book Date, where we share what we've read and reviewed over the past week and what we plan to read next.

After I posted last week's Sunday Post/IMWAYR, my laptop decided it didn't want to connect to the Internet. I just got the part to fix it from Amazon last night. It is so nice to be able to use my laptop again. I have a smartphone but it isn't quite the same and I can't do anything with my blog on it.

As I write this post on Saturday morning it is raining outside. We had freezing rain last night and the roads are really icy. So glad I don't have to work today. It's hard to believe that Christmas is just one week away! I am still not ready. I have some gifts I need to get (good thing for gift cards and Amazon Prime) and today I plan to do some baking and candy making. My book group had to postpone last Tuesday's cookbook discussion/Christmas party due to bad weather. We rescheduled for this Tuesday and so far the weather looks like it will be fine. The next day I will be leaving for my parents' house for Christmas. On Christmas Eve my sister and her husband are coming over for lunch. 

The library had it's annual staff holiday breakfast on Friday. I am in charge of the fun and games part of the breakfast and this year we played "pass the parcel". I wrapped four small boxes in several layers of wrapping paper and inside one box there were chocolate coins and a $5 gift card to Amazon. The other boxes held chocolate coal. The second game was a timed Christmas song guessing game. The first letters of the titles of Christmas songs are given and people have to guess what the song is. My director won that and he was thrilled with his prize (a reindeer toy that lit up  and "pooped" candy).

I had planned to see Rogue One on Friday afternoon but I decided I needed to go grocery shopping and to run some errands before the bad weather hit. Instead I bought the novelization of the movie. After I finish it, I'll decide if I want to go and see the movie later if I get the chance or I may just wait till it is available for rent. Did you see the new Star Wars movie? What did you think?

Merry Christmas (if you celebrate)! I will hopefully have a couple of posts this week and then I'll be taking a brief blogging break.


Last week on my blog:





Books read:



Christmas Joy by Nancy Naigle

I liked this one. It had a nice small town feel with lots of Christmas traditions. There was a good storyline about forgiveness and moving on as well. 


The Return of the King by J.R.R. Tolkien (reread)

I was so happy that I got to finish this before the end of the year. I do wish I hadn't waited so long between finishing The Two Towers and starting The Return of the King. I loved the emotional moments (even teared up a bit) but I did think the last couple of chapters dragged on (even more than the ending of the movie). I'd forgotten about that. Love this book though. This last book was maybe the most action packed of all of them (until the end). 



Currently reading:



Rogue One: A Star Wars Story by Alexander Freed

I was not originally planning to read this since I was going to see the movie yesterday. Plans changed though so I bought it and so far it is interesting. I'm only in the first chapter (prologue) but hope to read more later today. 



On my TBR pile:



A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens


The Chemist by Stephenie Meyer

The Sun is Also a Star by Nicola Yoon


The Star-Touched Queen by Roshani Chokshi



New books received:



Rogue One: A Star Wars Story by Alexander Freed (purchased)


The Lady of the Lakes by Josi Kilpack (for review)


Bad Blood by Jennifer Lynn Barnes (library)

This is Our Story by Ashley Elston (library)

Uprooted by Naomi Novik (library)

11 comments:

  1. The holiday party at your work sounds like fun! I love "pass the parcel!" I look forward to your thoughts on The Sun is Also a Star---have read some awesome reviews for that one and it's on many "Best of 2016" lists. I can't believe Christmas is almost here as well. I am pretty much done shopping and wrapping gifts, but I have 16 people coming over for a sit-down Christmas Eve dinner---so I am going to be going nuts with preparations! I hope to slow down and take it all in this week b/c before we know it, it will be over! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad you were able to get your laptop fixed, Christina. I am worried about ice now that the temperatures here are getting colder. We had rain last week, but luckily no ice.

    It does seem crazy that Christmas is only a week away. I am sure you'll be ready by then. I'm not allowed to go into any more stores between now and then. I see something and I think it will be perfect for so and so and end up buying it--I need to stop that. It's not like money grows on trees and I've already bought too much. At least that's what my husband tells me. Haha

    Your annual breakfast at the library sounded like such fun! You came up with some great games. :-)

    I saw Rogue One yesterday and really liked it. I hope you will decide to see it. I admit, I'm not a huge fan of novelizations of movies. I blame the few crappy ones I've read over the years. Hopefully Rogue one is well written and you enjoy it.

    Have a Merry Christmas, Christina! Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't blog on my phone either- it just doesn't work. :) Freezing rain is the worst, hope your weather clears up. No freezing rain here just more snow. Ugh. :)

    Christmas Joy looks cute, love that cover. I'm really curious about the novelization, and I hope to see the movie. I've heard good things. The Return of the King might be my favorite of the LotR books, although yeah the end can be a bit dry... I'm not super fond of the Scouring stuff. Although I do like the Grey Havens at the end.

    Have a merry Christmas and enjoy the time off! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you got the laptop fixed. Not a fan of trying to blog on my smartphone either. Hope you have safe traveling weather this weekend. Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Laughed when I got to the reindeer bit! While you still have a bit to do seems like you are getting Christmas under control. Am impressed that you knew which bit you needed to fix your computer and how to do it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't know there was a book about Rogue One. I LOVED the movie, so I'll have to check out the book. Also, The Chemist looks intriguing. Happy holidays!


    My It's Monday! What Are You Reading? post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad you read and enjoyed the Lord of the Rings,I love both the books and movies. Always get excited when I hear other people like the series too :)

    My Monday

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Sun is Also a Star is in my TBR pile as well. Here is my IMWAYR: http://shoshireads.weebly.com/home/its-monday-what-are-you-reading-mailbox-monday

    ReplyDelete
  9. It sounds as if you've been busy and the library Xmas party sounds like fun.

    I'm not a Star Wars fan, but Rogue One's been getting really good reviews everywhere!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm curious to read your thoughts on Star-touched Queen and The Sun is Also a Star. I have mixed feelings about them. I plan on seeing Rogue One but the weather in Chicago has been atrocious with lots of snow and temps well below zero.

    ReplyDelete

Reading Extensively is now an award free blog. Thanks for stopping by! Please leave a comment. I enjoy receiving feedback! Due to increase in spam, I've enabled comment moderation. Sorry for any inconvenience!