Saturday, December 10, 2016

Sunday Post (72) / It's Monday, What Are You Reading



The Sunday Post is a weekly meme hosted by Kimberly @ Caffeinated Book Reviewer. It’s a post to recap the past week, showcase books and things we have received and share news about what is coming up on our blog for the week ahead. It's Monday, What Are You Reading is a fun weekly meme now hosted by Kathryn at Book Date, where we share what we've read and reviewed over the past week and what we plan to read next.

This past week saw both rain and snow but at least it looks like we won't be getting the 5-8 inches predicted. I did get my snow tires put on just in case. 


At work I had my sock snowman craft night which went really well. It is a fun and easy craft and one attendee said she found it more relaxing than coloring. I also made a return trip to Barnes & Noble to spend more of the remaining book budget. While I didn't spend it all, I did make a dent. 

This Tuesday I have a get together with my evening book group. We are bringing appetizers and desserts from cookbooks we are supposed to read and discuss. My cookbook is Christmas Cookie Swap but I am thinking of making one of the candy recipes from the book instead of cookies.  Not sure what to do about appetizers. I haven't come across anything I can eat in any of the cookbooks I've looked through. Everything has either cheese, tomatoes, garlic or onions. On Friday we have our annual staff breakfast. I am in charge of "fun and games". I have a couple of games planned but I still need to figure out the prizes. In past years we've done an ugly sweater contest and a white elephant gift exchange but this year I wanted to make things simpler.

My plans for the weekend are going to depend on the weather as it looks like we are supposed to get snow and ice next Friday and Sunday. If we don't, I will be visiting my parents. We were originally going to have our family Christmas that weekend but it worked out for Christmas Eve instead.


Last week on my blog:




Alterations by Stephanie Scott (review)


Books read:




God Bless Us Every One by Eva Marie Everson


This inspirational fiction novel is not a retelling of A Christmas Carol though that book plays an important part in the story (the main character is a drama teacher helping with the school performance of A Christmas Carol and there are parallels between her life and Dickens's). There are also interesting facts about Dickens and the importance of the book to the celebration of Christmas.



Books listened to:


Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery (reread)

I loved listening to this and it made me laugh out loud over Anne's antics. I wish Rachel McAdams would read the rest of the series too. I tried to find a version of Anne of Avonlea on Audible that would be similar but so far none of the narrators are quite the same.



Currently reading:


The Return of the King by J.R.R. Tolkien (reread)

I've read the first few chapters with Merry and "Dernhelm" and the Rohirrim now on the way to Gondor and Aragorn on his journey with the Grey Company. Now the siege of Gondor is about to begin. It's always interesting to be reminded of the differences between the book and the movie.



On my TBR pile:



Christmas Joy by Nancy Naigle

10 comments:

  1. We're supposed to get 5-10 " of snow through tomorrow night I guess, so Monday morning will be really fun I'm sure ha ha. Plus we have some snow already from the other day- we didn't get a ton but it was enough to make the roads bad for a day or so. Those sock snowmen look cute. :)

    I like The Return of the King when everything gets rolling. :)

    Hope you have good traveling weather!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my those snowmen are adorable. Totally gorgeous, love them. I intend to listen to Anne of Green Gables and have chosen one of the Audible ones, amazing number of them with different narrators. I know once you hear a narrator and like them like you I'd want to stick with them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoy your Christmas parties! They sound like a lot of fun! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The sock snowmen are so cute! I seriously wished we lived closer! I love all the events at your library. So fun! I can't believe we have reached the point where we are talking about snow! I am in denial! :) I hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Christmas Joy sounds interesting! Here is my IMWAYR: http://shoshireads.weebly.com/home/musing-its-monday-what-are-you-reading

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am planning on reading Anne of Green Gables ASAP. Your snowmen are adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Isn't it amazing how much the weather plays into our plans? I'm hoping for good driving weather for my planned Christmas trip. Come see my week here. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the idea of an ugly sweater contest - I might steal that for my next team meeting! Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your sock snowmen! I have a sock snowman on my desk at work that a coworker made for me years ago. He's looking a little floppy these days. :-) I'm envious of all your trips to B&N even if they are for work. I was able to go last week finally. Since I am Santa in our house, I made sure to get a book for my stocking. ;-)

    Sounds like you have a festive week ahead! I hope everything goes well. Enjoy your week, Christina!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I keep meaning to re-read TLOTR but I just haven't got there yet. This year I only managed to pick up The Hobbit. Next year will be the year I guess! :)

    Hope you have a lovely week ahead!

    ReplyDelete

Reading Extensively is now an award free blog. Thanks for stopping by! Please leave a comment. I enjoy receiving feedback! Due to increase in spam, I've enabled comment moderation. Sorry for any inconvenience!