Sunday, August 14, 2016

Sunday Post (61) / It's Monday, What Are You Reading



The Sunday Post is a weekly meme hosted by Kimberly @ Caffeinated Book Reviewer. It’s a post to recap the past week, showcase books and things we have received and share news about what is coming up on our blog for the week ahead. It's Monday, What Are You Reading is a fun weekly meme now hosted by Kathryn at Book Date, where we share what we've read and reviewed over the past week and what we plan to read next.

It was such a crazy week and I'm so glad it is over! I was supposed to work three shifts at the fair but it was so hot and I felt sick from the heat and some tummy issues so I only did two shifts and got a coworker to cover my Saturday evening shift. We had a bad location so not very many people stopped by and the heat wave and thunderstorms certainly didn't help. Although the fair didn't go the way we'd hoped, it wasn't all bad. I got to know one of my newer coworkers better and saw some cute llamas and a goat in the animal barn. 



On a positive note although I was having car problems last weekend when I had it towed to my mechanic on Monday it started right up and they couldn't figure out what was wrong with it. So far it is running okay and hopefully will continue! 

This Wednesday is my 38th birthday. I have the day off and I'm going to the massage therapist and maybe I'll do some shoe shopping. I still desperately need a new pair of comfortable walking shoes especially with the Williamsburg trip coming up in less than a month. On Friday I'll be going to visit my parents for the weekend. My mom wants to make me a birthday cake but I need to find something gluten free that actually tastes good. 


Last week on my blog:

Flying by Carrie Jones (review)


Books read:



This was a nice quick read. The romance was balanced by the secondary characters and friendships that developed. I could easily see this being made into a Hallmark film.



Even though I already knew the big "twists" from reading reviews (on purpose) I found this to be an entertaining play as long as I read it as fan fiction which is what it reads like.  Even if it wasn't written in play format, the characters and plot and dialogue were not like J.K. Rowling's from the Harry Potter series. If you're not sure about reading this, I recommend getting it from the library like I did. I will say that I liked Scorpius and seeing Draco as a dad but it could have been a much better story without the parts that seemed like they'd be at home in The Quibbler.


P.S. I Like You by Kasie West

This was such a fun romantic comedy especially with its similarity to You've Got Mail. I liked the main character and how devoted she was to her crazy family.


Currently reading:


Eight Hundred Grapes by Laura Dave

My evening book group picked this for our August book. Our meeting will be at an area winery where we plan to take a tour and then do a wine tasting. I hope it will add to the discussion.


Currently listening to:


Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. Rowling (reread)

I am now at the part where Ron has come back and they've gone to see Xenophilius Lovegood. One of my least favorite parts of the book is coming up.


On my TBR pile:


United by Melissa Landers

I am looking forward to reading this final book in the Alienated series to see how everything is resolved.


The Perfect Neighbors by Sarah Pekkanen

This book sounds like a mix of Desperate Housewives and the novels of Liane Moriarty. Should make for some engrossing reading.


The Reader by Traci Chee

I was so happy to get an ARC of The Reader this week. It's received some glowing reviews and I can't wait to start it.


A House Without Windows by Nadia Hashimi

Since this book is being published on Tuesday I hope to read it this week but at the same time I'm not sure I'm in the mood for it yet. I know the story will probably be pretty grim. I love her writing though and The Pearl That Broke Its Shell is one of my favorites.


New books received:


United by Melissa Landers (library book)

Crowned and Dangerous by Rhys Bowen (library book)

The Reader by Traci Chee (for review)


13 comments:

  1. I loved The Perfect Neighbors...and I've been eyeing The Matchmakers of Minnow Bay. Happy birthday, and I hope you have a great time.

    Thanks for sharing your week; I haven't been to the fair since I was working and had to watch a booth there (for foster parents).

    Here are MY WEEKLY UPDATES

    ReplyDelete
  2. The fair looks like a lot of fun! Happy Early Birthday! I hope you have a great day. I am looking forward to reading Matchmakers -- hopefully before the summer is over! Your book club sounds awesome....I would love a trip to the winery! :) Enjoy your books and have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love summer fairs but being in the summer they can be hot, no doubt. Sorry you weren't feeling so good. Our big fair is coming up in a few weeks and I'm looking forward.

    Happy birthday on Wednesday! Sounds like you have a nice day planned. And hope you like Eight Hundred grapes! A winery tour in conjunction w/ that sounds great. I agree, The Perfect neighbors does look good, and does remind me of a Moriarty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great way to celebrate your birthday! I hope you enjoy 800 Grapes as much as I did.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday on Wednesday. A massage sounds perfect and good luck with the shoe shopping. Heard a lot of good things about 800 Grapes but still just sitting in my wish list!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ohh. I'm about to pick up HP8 and I've been deliberately avoiding reviews! I can't wait to start it soon.

    The Reader was excellent in my POV. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did!

    Here's my weekly round up : #IMWAYR

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy birthday, and enjoy your new books! I still need to read the Harry Potter book. I’m nervous.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Perfect Neighbors and The Reader are on my list. Williamsburg is one of my favorite places. Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Perfect Neighbors looks fun!! I just got back from the library, and while I have a ton for Wyatt, only two for me. I may need to go back later in the week and look for this one. :)

    Happy Birthday!

    The fair looks like it was fun. Bummer that the weather was so lousy. :( We went to a county fair last week, and the weather was miserable and gross, so we didn't stay as long as I anticipated. :(

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy birthday! I have the Harry Potter book but am buried under review commitments right now. I would like to see what all the fuss is about. Here is my weekly report. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hope you have a wonderful birthday!

    I am sorry to hear you've been sick. I am glad some good came out of the fair, despite the heat and thunderstorms. Hopefully your car trouble won't come back! I didn't have that luck when my car was giving me trouble a couple years ago. I kept telling my husband and the mechanic something was wrong and then it would act fine for them. Weeks of that before it finally broke down for good. :-( Hopefully your car situation has a much happier ending.

    The House Without Windows is one I really want to read too. I just need to be in the right frame of mind. I hope you enjoy your new books!

    Have a great week! Stay out of the heat if you can!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sorry about the fair. I've heard really good things about The Reader also. I will look forward to hearing what you think.

    Sunday Summary #15

    ReplyDelete

Reading Extensively is now an award free blog. Thanks for stopping by! Please leave a comment. I enjoy receiving feedback! Due to increase in spam, I've enabled comment moderation. Sorry for any inconvenience!