Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Top Ten Books Set Outside the United States


Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created at The Broke and the Bookish. There is a new subject each week and this week's theme is "Top Ten Books Set Outside the United States"


Afghanistan


A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini 
The Pearl That Broke Its Shell by Nadia Hashimi 

Sri Lanka and India



On Sal Mal Lane by Ru Freeman 
Island of a Thousand Mirrors by Nayomi Munaweera
Secret Daughter by Shilpi Somaya Gowda 

Ethiopia, Sierra Leone, and Rwanda



Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese 
Someone Knows My Name by Lawrence Hill 
Running the Rift by Naomi Benaron 


Italy and France



The Shoemaker's Wife by Adriana Trigiani
The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah

England


The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows
Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone by J.K. Rowling
Her Royal Spyness by Rhys Bowen
Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
Major Pettigrew's Last Stand by Helen Simonson
The Summer Before the War by Helen Simonson

Scotland


Outlander by Diana Gabaldon
The Winter Sea by Susanna Kearsley
At the Water's Edge by Sara Gruen
Lady of the Glen by Jennifer Roberson

Sweden


A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman
My Grandmother Asked Me to Tell You She's Sorry by Fredrik Backman
The 100 Year Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared by Jonas Jonasson





11 comments:

  1. Great choices! I've heard so many good things about The Nightingale and A Man Called Ove. I need to read them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love books set in the UK especially the mysteries and historicals. At The Water's Edge was one I was really interested in, partly for the Scottish setting, but I haven't read it yet. I remember seeing The Winter Sea around as well.

    I like the geographical diversity of your list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic list! I also included Outlander on my list and I loved The Winter Sea as well. I loved the setting of The Shoemaker's Wife...forgot about that one! The Nightingale made my list as well. I love your England list...there's a few books on there that I want to read!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a very good list of strong reads set outside the US. Thank you!

    http://readerbuzz.blogspot.com/2016/07/ten-great-books-set-in-paris.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had Harry Potter on my list this week too!
    My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2016/07/19/top-ten-tuesday-66/

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a great list! Thank you.

    http://readerbuzz.blogspot.com/2016/07/ten-great-books-set-in-paris.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great list! So many I want to read still and I like how you broke it out by country

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great list. I really need to read A Thousand Splendid Suns. I’ve heard so many good things about it.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Shoemaker's Wife was excellent. :)

    Check out my TTT.

    ReplyDelete
  10. +JMJ+

    I don't think I've read a single book set in Sweden. =( I only know it for its pop music, so I hope this counts as some cultural idea!

    Here's my Top 10 for the week!

    ReplyDelete
  11. +JMJ+

    I now realise I haven't read any books set in Sweden. =( But I do listen to a bit of Swedish pop music, so I guess that's some cultural appreciation . . . right? LOL!

    Here's my Top 10 for the week!

    ReplyDelete

Reading Extensively is now an award free blog. Thanks for stopping by! Please leave a comment. I enjoy receiving feedback! Due to increase in spam, I've enabled comment moderation. Sorry for any inconvenience!