Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Waiting on Wednesday (177)

"Waiting on" Wednesday is a weekly meme to discuss upcoming books we can't wait to get our hands on. Waiting on Wednesday is hosted by Jill at Breaking the Spine.

This week I'm waiting on:


Love & Gelato by Jenna Evans Welch
Release date: May 3, 2016

A summer in Italy turns into a road trip across Tuscany in this sweeping debut novel filled with romance, mystery, and adventure.

Lina is spending the summer in Tuscany, but she isn’t in the mood for Italy’s famous sunshine and fairy-tale landscape. She’s only there because it was her mother’s dying wish that she get to know her father. But what kind of father isn’t around for sixteen years? All Lina wants to do is get back home.
But then Lina is given a journal that her mom had kept when she lived in Italy. Suddenly Lina’s uncovering a magical world of secret romances, art, and hidden bakeries. A world that inspires Lina, along with the ever-so-charming Ren, to follow in her mother’s footsteps and unearth a secret that has been kept from Lina for far too long. It’s a secret that will change everything she knew about her mother, her father—and even herself.

People come to Italy for love and gelato, someone tells her, but sometimes they discover much more.

I so badly want to go to Italy and hope someday I get the chance. In the meantime I will be reading books like this. I think it sounds like the perfect summer read. The premise reminds me of Sophomore Year is Greek to Me by Meredith Zeitlin, which I enjoyed so hopefully I will like this too.


A House Without Windows by Nadia Hashimi
Release date: August 28, 2016

A vivid, unforgettable story of an unlikely sisterhood—an emotionally powerful and haunting story of friendship that illuminates the plight of women in a traditional culture, from the author of the bestselling The Pearl That Broke Its Shell and When the Moon Is Low.

For two decades, Zeba was a loving wife, a patient mother, and a peaceful villager. But her quiet life is shattered when her husband, Kamal, is found brutally murdered with a hatchet in the courtyard of their home. Nearly catatonic with shock, Zeba is unable to account for her whereabouts at the time of his death. Her children swear their mother could not have committed such a heinous act. Kamal’s family is sure she did, and demands justice. Barely escaping a vengeful mob, Zeba is arrested and jailed.

Awaiting trial, she meets a group of women whose own misfortunes have led them to these bleak cells: eighteen-year-old Nafisa, imprisoned to protect her from an “honor killing”; twenty-five-year-old Latifa, a teen runaway who stays because it is safe shelter; twenty-year-old Mezghan, pregnant and unmarried, waiting for a court order to force her lover’s hand. Is Zeba a cold-blooded killer, these young women wonder, or has she been imprisoned, like them, for breaking some social rule? For these women, the prison is both a haven and a punishment; removed from the harsh and unforgiving world outside, they form a lively and indelible sisterhood.

Into this closed world comes Yusuf, Zeba’s Afghan-born, American-raised lawyer whose commitment to human rights and desire to help his homeland have brought him back. With the fate this seemingly ordinary housewife in his hands, Yusuf discovers that, like the Afghanistan itself, his client may not be at all what he imagines.

A moving look at the lives of modern Afghan women, The House with No Windows is astonishing, frightening, and triumphant.

I thought The Pearl That Broke Its Shell was amazing and I really liked When the Moon is Low too so I have high hopes that this will be a fantastic and moving story. Her writing is perfect for fans of Khaled Hosseini. I am cheating a bit by including this as a WoW pick since I just got approved for the ARC but I wanted to spread the word about this book :)


6 comments:

  1. Love & Gelato is on my TBR list. I can't wait to read it as well. I am so ready for warm weather and all of the summer reads. Great pick, Christina!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love & Gelato is on my list as well :) I hope that you get to go to Italy one day, it is an incredible place. I've never heard of A House Without Windows, but it sounds amazing as well :)
    here's my WoW!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These both look very tempting, especially Love & Gelato. Thanks for sharing...and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tuscany, gelato- this sounds like a winner! :) I'd like to visit Italy as well and I'm sure until that happens this might be a good way to vicariously experience the country LOL. Hope it's good- I like the premise.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my, The house without Windows gave me chills! I hope it's a wonderful read! I look forward to your review!

    ReplyDelete

Reading Extensively is now an award free blog. Thanks for stopping by! Please leave a comment. I enjoy receiving feedback! Due to increase in spam, I've enabled comment moderation. Sorry for any inconvenience!