Sunday, July 5, 2015

Sunday Post (10) / It's Monday, What Are You Reading



The Sunday Post is a weekly meme hosted by Kimba @ Caffeinated Book Reviewer. It’s a chance to share news. A post to recap the past week, showcase books and things we have received and share news about what is coming up on our blog for the week ahead. It's Monday, What Are You Reading is a fun weekly meme hosted by Sheila at Book Journey where we share what we've read and reviewed over the past week and what we plan to read next. I will also be sharing my It's Monday post on Twitter #IMWAYR.



Last week I was in Canada for my aunt and uncle's 50th wedding anniversary party. It was a really nice night with about 250 people in attendance to celebrate. My cousins put together a fun video presentation with lots of old pictures and their children played the piano and danced. There was also a really cool classical Indian dance performance (bharatanatyam) by one of my second cousins. Unfortunately the camera on my phone decided to freeze up so I didn't get any pictures. (The picture above is of my aunt and uncle at a wedding three years ago).

This past weekend I went to see my parents for the 4th of July. When I was a kid we used to sit outside on the lawn and watch the fireworks with a bowl of popcorn or light sparklers and other smaller fireworks. We didn't watch the fireworks this year but it was still a nice weekend. I grilled burgers and we had a black raspberry pie I brought from an Amish bakery (our favorite kind of pie). We reminisced about the old days and my mom and I tried making homemade marshmallows. They turned out okay but not as good as we'd hoped. I think it needs some practice! Mom and I also spent hours (we were up till nearly midnight!) looking at sarees online. My sister bought her outfit for the party from Utsav Fashion and I've heard they do a really good job and their prices are very affordable. It was fun looking at all the many designs and colors.


Last two weeks on my blog:

The Idea of Love by Patti Callahan Henry (review)
Emmy and Oliver by Robin Benway (review)
Crazy Little Thing Called Love by Beth K. Vogt (review)


Books read:


Lois Lane: Fallout by Gwenda Bond

This was a fun mystery featuring comic book heroine Lois Lane as a teenager in Metropolis. In addition to Lois, Perry White has a small role and Lois has an Internet friendship with a young man she knows only by his screen name "Smallville Guy".


The Guest Cottage by Nancy Thayer

The Guest Cottage was a nice beach read kind of book. A woman whose marriage is on the rocks takes her kids to a cottage for the summer only to find out that it has also been rented to a widower and his young son. I liked the book but had a few issues with the romance. 


Snow Like Ashes by Sara Raasch

I bought this on a whim when it was on sale and was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed the story. I've heard it is one of those books that people either love or hate. I was interested in the setting and Meira's struggles. The villain is also pretty creepy. 



I adored this audio book both for the narration and the characters. My book group members really liked the story and characters too. Our favorite character was Odette, a no-nonsense kind of woman who reminded me of Minny Jackson from The Help. Even the not so likable characters had good qualities (mostly). It was just a funny and touching book.


The Fixer by Jennifer Lynn Barnes

I am currently working on my review of this one. I love Jennifer Lynn Barnes's books and while this wasn't as good as The Naturals, I still enjoyed it. I've only seen one episode of Scandal but this book reminded me of the show but for teens. The main character's sister Ivy is pretty much like Olivia Pope.


When the Moon is Low by Nadia Hashimi

The Pearl That Broke Its Shell is one of my favorite books. Her second novel is really good but not quite as good as the first. The story is about a woman who is widowed when her husband is killed by the Taliban. She decides to take her kids and flee to safety to England but along the way she and her son get separated. It is riveting reading but I thought the earlier parts of the book (through the mother Fereiba's eyes) were much stronger than the narrative through her son Saleem's point of view. I had trouble connecting with him though I understand that the author had to tell the tale that way to give readers an insider's view of refugee camps and conditions.


Currently reading:


The Rearranged Life by Annika Sharma

This new adult novel is about Nithya, a young Indian woman raised in the U.S., and her struggles to be true to her family and culture as well as to her own dreams. Her parents expect her to have an arranged marriage but she doesn't count on falling in love with one of her non-Indian classmates. I like the book so far and the way the author portrays the culture and Nithya's internal conflict. 


What I might read next:


Finding Audrey by Sophie Kinsella


Rome in Love by Anita Hughes 


A Million Miles Away by Lara Avery


New books received:


The Rearranged Life by Annika Sharma (library book)

Rome in Love by Anita Hughes (review book)

Ice Like Fire by Sara Raasch (review book)

The Secrets She Keeps by Deb Caletti (review book)

A Million Miles Away by Lara Avery (review book)

Mrs. Roosevelt's Confidant by Susan Elia MacNeal (review book)

9 comments:

  1. Looks like you had a nice 4th of July! It's always best when you can spend it with family. :) And grilling is the best this time of year. I just can't believe 4th of July is here and gone already. This summer is already flying by.

    The Guest Cottage looks very summery, and Rome In Love looks like a good read. Have a fantastic week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've had a nice week. The family gatherings are fun and sari shopping can be a lot of work! End result good though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Family time is the best, so glad you got to spend time with your mum and dad, especially after the missed catch-ups. Was that a long driving trip to Canada for your Aunt and Uncle's celebration or did you fly?

    You already know I enjoyed The Guest Cottage and I'm looking forward to The Secrets She Keeps. Have a great week and happy reading.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can imagine looking at saris online would be a great past time! Your aunt is wearing a gorgeous one in her wedding photo.
    I enjoyed The Guest Cottage, it was a good summer read - or in my case it was actually a winter read! Good luck with your marshmallow making!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like you had a great week! The Lois Lane book and Snow Like Ashes are on my to-read radar. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like you had a great weekend! Your aunt and uncle's anniversary party sounds fantastic. I'm glad you got to spend extra time with your parents over the holiday. I spent it with my parents as well and we also had some pie as well! :) I can't wait to hear your thoughts on the Lois Lane novel...very intrigued! I also thought The Beach Cottage was a fun summertime novel. I am hoping to read Rome in Love sometime in the next month as well. Can't got wrong with Rome!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like you had a fun weekend. Mine was low key. I liked Snow Like Ashes and have Ice Like Fire on my review stack too. Come see my week here. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations to your aunt and uncle! It sounds like you had a great holiday weekend! I'm adding The Supremes to my audio list now. I have the hardest time choosing those! Enjoy your week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like you had a wonderful weekend. You have lots of great books here, enjoy reading them!

    Heather @ Random Redheaded Ramblings

    ReplyDelete

Reading Extensively is now an award free blog. Thanks for stopping by! Please leave a comment. I enjoy receiving feedback! Due to increase in spam, I've enabled comment moderation. Sorry for any inconvenience!