Sunday, July 12, 2015

Sunday Post (11) / It's Monday, What Are You Reading



The Sunday Post is a weekly meme hosted by Kimba @ Caffeinated Book Reviewer. It’s a chance to share news. A post to recap the past week, showcase books and things we have received and share news about what is coming up on our blog for the week ahead. It's Monday, What Are You Reading is a fun weekly meme hosted by Sheila at Book Journey where we share what we've read and reviewed over the past week and what we plan to read next. I will also be sharing my It's Monday post on Twitter #IMWAYR.

I was kind of sad to see fall merchandise on display at the store already! It seems like as soon as we pass the 4th of July, we start to get ready for fall. My mom usually groans over the back to school ads (she's a teacher). I am not ready to let go of summer especially considering that we haven't even had any hot days yet (mostly in the 70s with a few days in the 80s) and too much rain. We still have plenty of summer left and I intend to enjoy it! I will be visiting my sister in a couple of weekends to meet her new addition (my furry niece Jordy, a Sheepadoodle puppy) and also going to Canada for a couple of weeks next month.


Jordy (she is 2 months and 14 weeks old)
Isn't she adorable?

Yesterday was our big Comic Con event at my library (coincidentally at the same time as San Diego Comic Con). It was a big hit and based on the responses on our survey we will definitely be having another one in the future. Because we are in small town Ohio we didn't have any big name celebrities or authors but we did invite local comic book writers, artists, authors and a costume designer who used to work on Broadway and made costumes for Meryl Streep, Philip Seymour Hoffman and Kevin Kline (our library director's wife). She shared a really cool story of meeting Kevin Kline as well as tips for people making their own costumes. The children's department had a Superhero Training Camp outside and face painting and the teen librarian had some very popular crafts. My favorite part of the day was seeing everyone dressed up in costume (even adults) for the Cosplay costume contest. I only wore a Hobbit t-shirt but next time I want to dress up more. One of my coworkers made his own Thor costume which was a big hit especially with the kids.

Today I plan to just relax. I need to get caught up on some review writing too. I like to write reviews while the book is still fresh in my mind but that doesn't always happen!


Last week on the blog:


The Wrath and the Dawn by Renee Ahdieh (review)

Flame Tree Road by Shona Patel (review)



Books read:


The Rearranged Life by Annika Sharma

I liked this new adult novel though I didn't quite love it. There was a lot of telling rather than showing in the writing style and a couple of other more minor flaws. I liked the main character Nithya and her love for her family. I found her easy to relate to. 


Rome in Love by Anita Hughes

I was excited about this book because it is inspired by Roman Holiday and it is set in Rome. The main character Amelia is an actress in a contemporary remake of the Audrey Hepburn film. My favorite part of the book is the letters that Audrey Hepburn wrote while making the film. I found that part of the story fascinating with the tidbits about Audrey, Gregory Peck and the film itself. Unfortunately Amelia's story wasn't as good. I liked her well enough as well as her new friend Sophia, a real princess in hiding, but Amelia's love interest and romance were not on par with the Gregory Peck-Audrey Hepburn relationship from the film. I couldn't buy into Amelia's romance with Philip at all. I thought he was a jerk.


Second Chance Summer by Jill Shalvis

This is the first book in a new series set in Colorado about the Kincaid family. Aidan Kincaid and Lily Danville have a past history. They were good friends as teens and their relationship started to turn into a romance when tragedy struck and Lily left town leaving both of them with broken hearts and misunderstandings. I liked this love story though there wasn't anything original. Sometimes it is nice to stick with a predictable formula :)


Currently reading:



Until Friday Night by Abbi Glines

This is the first novel by Abbi Glines that I've read. I believe she usually writes New Adult or contemporary romance for adults but this is a teen novel and so far I like it. It reminds me of Katie McGarry's books.

What I might read next:



A School for Brides by Patrice Kindl

A School for Brides is a companion novel to Keeping the Castle. Both are set in Regency England with a humorous writing style. A School for Brides is about the Winthrop Hopkins Female Academy which is dedicated to preparing young women for marriage. Unfortunately the school is in a town without eligible young men. I was delighted by Keeping the Castle so hopefully this will be just as enjoyable.


Circling the Sun by Paula McClain

Circling the Sun is the story of real life aviatrix Beryl Markham. I have read other historical fiction novels where Markham is a minor character but I don't know much about her life so I am excited to read this.


Joyride by Anna Banks

I liked the sound of this story about a young teen whose parents were deported back to Mexico and the popular quarterback who befriends her against his family's wishes. 


A Million Miles Away by Lara Avery

I was going to read this earlier but I had just finished a book about lying characters and I wanted to take a break from that before I pick this up. I'm a little nervous that I won't like Kelsey because she tells some pretty big lies (her twin sister Michelle died but she isn't able to tell her boyfriend who is stationed in Afghanistan and allows him to think she is Michelle when they Skype).  While I understand why she did it I am not sure I will be able to put up with it for a whole book.


Ana of California by Andi Teran

I am beyond excited about this book! It is a contemporary take on Anne of Green Gables.



New books received:



Until Friday Night by Abbi Glines (for review)


Ana of California by Andi Teran (library)

Joyride by Anna Banks (library)

Ms. Marvel: No Normal by G. Willow Wilson (library)

Second Chance Summer by Jill Shalvis (purchased)

12 comments:

  1. Nice haul of books this week. Your new puppy is so adorable. I want to cuddle with her. I hope you love all your books.

    Grace @ Books of Love

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you on summer, I hate it when I start to see fall stuff in July, Ugh. Your comic con sounds fabulous, how creative. I wish our library would do something like that. :) And cosplay too- how fun. I'll bet those kids had so much fun.

    Ana of California sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is the cutest puppy I've seen in a long time! I have horrid puppy fever right now. My youngest is 6 months old, and I already want another. :p

    I've heard good things about Until Friday Night.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that Jordy's toy is actually bigger than Jordy. You'll have to get a photo in a few months / years time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jordy is absolutely adorable! The Comic Con sounds like a lot of fun. I hadn't heard about Ana of California but now I'm curious to see what you think of it; I love Anne of Green Gables! Too bad about Rome in Love. Roman Holiday is such a great movie! Enjoy your week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am intrigued by Rome in Love. Circling the Sun was one of my best reads for 2015. I hope you enjoy the book as much as I did.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great books there, and aw Jordy is so adorable!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Jordy is just adorable, our Bella had a toy duck but it didn't last long lol. Have fun visiting! It's just about arctic here in Australia this week, most unusual in our state. So I for one am hoping spring comes quickly. My partner takes his teenage daughter to cosplay and they have a ball, she usually dresses up and he wears a phantom t-shirt.

    Great mix of books, can't wait to see what you think of Ana of California and I'm adding Until Friday Night to my read list ... I like Katie McGarry so I think I'll enjoy Abbi Glines. Have a wonderful week and happy reading :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ahhh! I hate when stores put up fall stuff in July. It's just not right?!?! Also, your sister's dog is so darn cute. Your Comic Con event sounds like so much fun. I wish I lived closer...I would definitely attend all of your library's events!

    I am a little nervous about Rome in Love now. I love the setting of Rome, but it sounds like the romance is a little bit disappointing. I can't wait to hear your thoughts on Until Friday Night...looking forward to that one. I just read A Million Miles Away last week and I had a hard time with the lying as well, but I thought the story was entertaining, so I finished it. I think I gave it 3.5 stars...it was somewhat good, but I had some issues with it including the lack of parents in the book. I am dying to read Ana....I hope it doesn't disappoint!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a cute puppy and your Comic Con event sounds like it was a lot of fun too. I hope you enjoy the books on your stack for this week. Thanks for visiting my blog. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jordy is so adorable!

    If I lived in the US I would be beside myself with excitement at the fall merch, I love all that stuff and roll on next September when I bring my suitcase to get some pumpkin smelling bits and bobs!

    Heather @ Random Redheaded Ramblings

    ReplyDelete
  12. O.M.G. that dog is so stinking cute!! I can't even stand it.

    I agree this summer doesn't even seem like summer! It has been so rainy. :( I can't believe it is mid July.

    Ana of California looks really good too. :)

    ReplyDelete

Reading Extensively is now an award free blog. Thanks for stopping by! Please leave a comment. I enjoy receiving feedback! Due to increase in spam, I've enabled comment moderation. Sorry for any inconvenience!