Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Top Ten Books From My Childhood/Teen Years I'd Love to Revisit

Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created at The Broke and the Bookish. There is a new subject each week and this week's topic is Top Ten Books From My Childhood/Teen Years I'd Love to Revisit.




Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery

I first read this book as a teenager. I admit that I picked it up after seeing the film version of Anne of Green Gables and Anne of Green Gables: The Sequel and swooning over Gilbert Blythe :) I also thought it was hilariously funny so I'd love the chance to revisit Avonlea.

Christy by Catherine Marshall

This is another gem that I picked up because of the TV series. When Christy was televised in the 90s, the book was reissued and I found it at my local Christian bookstore. I loved Christy (though I was disappointed about who she picked to marry) and I also loved Catherine Marshall's other novel, Julie. I even did a report on the author in English class. I was planning to be an English teacher at the time so of course Christy resonated with me even more.

The Other Side of Dark by Joan Lowery Nixon

This suspense novel really appealed to me as a young teen. I found it in the middle school library and I liked that it involved high schoolers and even had a touch of romance. I admit that I reread the book many times even though I knew who the killer was.

The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank

I remember finding this at a school book fair and wanting to read it. I think I'd appreciate it much more now then I did when I was a kid.

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee

I read this for a class but I'd like to revisit it now that I'm older and because Go Set a Watchman is being published this summer.

The Witch of Blackbird Pond by Elizabeth George Speare

This book and Johnny Tremain are the novels I credit with helping me to realize how much I love historical fiction. This time period and the witch hunts were fascinating to me so even though it was assigned reading, it didn't feel like a chore.

Number the Stars by Lois Lowry

I loved this book but I think my younger sister read it first. Usually I read books and passed them on to her!

Little House on the Prairie by Laura Ingalls Wilder

I loved the TV show and the novel though I haven't read all of the books in the series. I remember my teacher had a really cool display with Little House dolls in our classroom in elementary school.

A Home for Jessie by Christine Pullein-Thompson

This was one of my sister's books but I read it and loved it too. We both wanted a dog so desperately and I think reading about dogs was our way of educating ourselves and proving to our parents that we could take care of one!  

The Egypt Game by Zilpha Keatley Snyder

This was a classroom assignment and I was fascinated by the inclusion of Egyptian myth into the story. I had read Joan Lowery Nixon's The House on Hackman's Hill so I was really into Egyptian mythology already.

The Little Gymnast by Sheila Haigh

I read this book so many times that I can still remember things so vividly like Anda's birthday at her Gran's house when she first saw a gymnast on TV and decided she wanted to be one too. I secretly wanted to be a gymnast so it is no surprise that I loved this book so much :)

Ramona the Pest by Beverly Cleary

I loved stories of Ramona and I even got a cool nickname from it for my sister (Reneta the Pest) which she didn't really appreciate as much. I actually did reread this last year when my mom was sick. My sister and I took turns reading it to her in the hospital. We also read Charlotte's Web (my mom's favorite) and Amelia Bedelia. 


1 comment:

  1. Anne of Green Gables is the best!! I was totally in love with Gilbert Blythe as well. I still might be. haha. I have always wanted to visit PEI after watching the film version...I still need to...one day! I also loved Number the Stars and the Ramona series. I love that you read Ramona and Charlotte's Web to your mom when you were sick. That's so sweet! I'm glad she's better. Great list, Christina!

    ReplyDelete

Reading Extensively is now an award free blog. Thanks for stopping by! Please leave a comment. I enjoy receiving feedback! Due to increase in spam, I've enabled comment moderation. Sorry for any inconvenience!