Sunday, March 8, 2015

It's Monday, What Are You Reading (207)



It's Monday, What Are You Reading is a fun weekly meme hosted by Sheila at Book Journey where we share what we've read and reviewed over the past week and what we plan to read next.

Well it looks like winter is finally coming to an end :) Or maybe I'm being optimistic. With the time change and weather heading into the 50s this week, I hope spring is here to stay.

I've been busy this week at work getting ready for the edible book festival. I put together a couple of edible books for a display and I've also been working on a brochure and entry form. The event is barely a month away! I really hope it will be a success. 

On the health front I've noticed a marked lack of energy. I had planned to work out this weekend but I just couldn't bring myself to do it. I had been eating carefully to heal the GERD symptoms but I gave in to temptation and got some white chocolate carrot cake flavored M&Ms and some carob covered almonds. Bad me! I am giving the M&M's away at work so I won't eat the whole bag. The carob almonds are a maybe healthier choice. I was trying to cut back on sweets and I did really well for awhile but failed after seeing all that Easter candy at the store! In my defense I had to venture down the candy aisle to buy Peeps for my edible book display. The M&M's just leapt into my cart. Sneaky candy! ;) 


I found this idea from another library's edible book festival. Aren't the expecting Peep parents cute? You can't see it in the picture but they are sitting on Cadbury Mini Eggs :)

I also discovered that I like hot carob. It isn't the same as hot cocoa but it is tasty when I add cinnamon to it and I don't get reflux from drinking it. Just 1 cup nondairy milk, 1 Tbsp. carob powder, 1 Tbsp. honey and a couple sprinkles of cinnamon. Yum! I had some this afternoon while I read. It was a pleasant way to spend the day.


Books reviewed:


The Same Sky by Amanda Eyre Ward
First Frost by Sarah Addison Allen


Books read:


The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry by Gabrielle Zevin (reread)

I really enjoyed rereading this book. It was just as good the second time around. So many good bookish quotes and references too. My book group members liked the book also.


The Bridal Chair by Gloria Goldreich

I'm glad I was able to finish this on time and write the review. Marc Chagall was quite a character. He's portrayed here as a pretty selfish and immature artistic genius and not very good father. A complicated family relationship between Ida and her famous parents. 


The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah

This was a wonderful and sad book. It definitely lived up to the hype and I hope Kristin Hannah writes more historical fiction. I really cared about the characters and it was suspenseful waiting to see what would happen to them in the end. You may need tissues when you read so be prepared!


The Winner's Crime by Marie Rutkoski

I thought this was a fantastic sequel. It built on the first book and Kestrel had some difficult choices to make now that she is in the palace under the thumb of the emperor. The emperor is kind of like President Snow from The Hunger Games and Kestrel's dad is like Tywin Lannister from the Game of Thrones books. I felt sorry for her because she is so isolated and not knowing who is trustworthy. 


Currently reading:


Maid of Deception by Jennifer McGowan

After reading those darker books, I was in the mood for something a little lighter. Maid of Deception has some mystery/suspense but it has more romance and some humor too. I liked the first book in the series and I am enjoying this as well. I really like the Scottish hero and while Beatrice came across as a snob in book one, she is more sympathetic in this book where she is the main character. 


What I might read next:


A Heart Revealed by Josi Kilpack

I liked the other two books from the "Proper Romance" line (Edenbrooke and Blackmoore) but I wanted to read this one because it deals with something that is personal to me. The main character is at the top in Regency society but her fortunes change when she develops  a medical condition now called alopecia areata (a kind of hair loss that I also have). I am eager to see how the author portrays it and I know the book has received starred reviews from Kirkus and Publishers Weekly


Leaving Time by Jodi Picoult

I have been waiting to read this for a long time and it finally came in on hold at the library. I hope to read it soon.


An Ember in the Ashes by Sabaa Tahir

I got a copy of this for review from the Amazon Vine program. I've heard really good things about it and hopefully it won't disappoint.

11 comments:

  1. I haven't read Leaving Time yet either...

    On the chocolate / carob front I actually REALLY like carob. Sometimes more than chocolate!

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have AJ Fikry waiting in my TBR pile, but I might wait to read it so that I can suggest it for my book club in 2016....if I can wait that long!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That nest is sweet :) enjoy your reading selections for the week,

    Shelleyrae @ Book'd Out

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I am so so happy you loved The Nightingale. That's become one of my favorite books, it's just so raw and honest! And aw, that is the cutest idea for a display! Edible book event?? I would be so in!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I still think about The Nightingale, have you read Winter Garden? It was brilliant on audio and so sad. Hope you enjoy Leaving Time too, can't wait to see what you think of the ending.

    Naughty M&M's ... it's torturous seeing aisles of chocolate and treats and knowing it's in your best interests to deny yourself. I love milkshakes but I get so sick, sometimes though I have no will power and then I pay for it ... it's almost worth it haha. Hope you feel better this week and happy reading :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Easter candy appears earlier and earlier in the store every year, they have had hot cross buns on sale since just after new year.
    Enjoy your reading week,
    Shelleyrae @ Book'd Out

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad you enjoyed The Nightingale. I agree…such a heartbreaking but really good read! I cried a lot. ha. I can't wait to hear your thoughts on An Ember in the Ashes. There has been a ton of hype for that one! I hope you are starting to feel better and hopefully all this snow will melt! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Internet very slow as I've moved out of the city. Got to just a few blogs this Monday. Like your mix of reads

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, those sneaky M&Ms! Cute display! The books you read and are planning to read look good too. Come see my week here. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Adorable book display. Those darn M&Ms, I try to avoid them too. Can't wait to read The Nightingale.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Peep parents! So cute!

    I'm so curious about Leaving Time and An Ember in the Ashes! Can't wait to see what you think :)

    Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete

Reading Extensively is now an award free blog. Thanks for stopping by! Please leave a comment. I enjoy receiving feedback! Due to increase in spam, I've enabled comment moderation. Sorry for any inconvenience!