Thursday, April 25, 2013

Review: Perfect Scoundrels

Perfect Scoundrels
By Ally Carter
Published: February 5, 2013

Katarina Bishop and W.W. Hale the fifth were born to lead completely different lives: Kat comes from a long, proud line of loveable criminal masterminds, while Hale is the scion of one of the most seemingly perfect dynasties in the world. If their families have one thing in common, it's that they both know how to stay under the radar while getting-or stealing-whatever they want. No matter the risk, the Bishops can always be counted on, but in Hale's family, all bets are off when money is on the line. When Hale unexpectedly inherits his grandmother's billion dollar corporation, he quickly learns that there's no place for Kat and their old heists in his new role. But Kat won't let him go that easily, especially after she gets tipped off that his grandmother's will might have been altered in an elaborate con to steal the company's fortune. So instead of being the heir-this time, Hale might be the mark. Forced to keep a level head as she and her crew fight for one of their own, Kat comes up with an ambitious and far-reaching plan that only the Bishop family would dare attempt. To pull it off, Kat is prepared to do the impossible, but first, she has to decide if she's willing to save her boyfriend's company if it means losing the boy.

My review:

Perfect Scoundrels is a little different from the first two Heist Society books because it doesn't involve an art heist and the job Kat and the gang are working on involves Hale in a very personal way. This book also gives us more insight into Kat and Hale as characters, their relationship and history with each other, and Hale's family and how it shaped him. Another new addition is the romance though it isn't the sole focus of the story.

Kat shows her uncertainty and vulnerability about her relationship with Hale which has become complicated now that they are a couple and also because of Hale's new status as the heir to his family's company. Hale also reveals his own vulnerability where his family is concerned. He was very close to his late grandmother and sought her approval so the idea that she wanted him to be her heir really moved him. It is hard for Kat to even think that Hale actually is a mark in someone's scheme but she is determined to do the right thing even though she knows it might mean the end of their relationship.

I liked seeing Kat and Hale grow in this book and I was entertained by the story which had some funny moments alongside the suspense. There were even some surprise twists that I didn't anticipate. I kind of liked the change from the art heist storylines too. I did feel that some of the secondary characters came across as flat and the story wrapped up a little too quickly but these are minor flaws. I am a fan of Ally Carter's blend of intelligent female characters, humor, and action packed plots and overall I thought this was a good entry in the series. If you like lighthearted adventure stories with girl power, I suggest giving this series (Heist Society) or the Gallagher Girls series (I'd Tell You I Love You, But Then I'd Have to Kill You) a try.





2 comments:

  1. I'm a big fan of Hale so I'm not sure why I haven't read this book yet...I need to get on that! As long as there are plenty of moments with the main couple, I shouldn't mind too much that the secondary characters are flat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad that there was plenty of suspense, humor and even some twists! I really need to get this book soon.

    Fabulous review!

    ReplyDelete

Reading Extensively is now an award free blog. Thanks for stopping by! Please leave a comment. I enjoy receiving feedback! Due to increase in spam, I've enabled comment moderation. Sorry for any inconvenience!