Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Waiting on Wednesday (92)

"Waiting on" Wednesday is a weekly meme to discuss upcoming books we can't wait to get our hands on. Waiting on Wednesday is hosted by Jill at Breaking the Spine.  


This week, I'm waiting on:

The Shadow Cats by Rae Carson
Release date: July 17, 2012

Description:

“Once a century, one person is chosen for greatness. And it was not Alodia.
Alodia is the crown princess of the realm. The sister who knows how to rule, and the one who is constantly reminded that she has not been marked for a grand destiny. But Alodia has plans, and she will be the greatest queen her people have ever known. So she travels–with her hopeless, naïve, chosen sister–to a distant part of their land, to begin to secure her supporters. This region needs its princesses, for it is plagued with a curse. The crops don’t grow, the spring doesn’t arrive, and a fierce jaguar stalks the shadows, leaving only empty homes splashed with blood behind. If Alodia can save them, no one will be able to deny her strength and her sovereignty. But what she discovers could change the fate of her kingdom, if not her world. And it will most certainly change her opinion of her younger sister.”

The Girl of Fire and Thorns was my second favorite book of 2011 and I can't wait to read this prequel novella!


When in Doubt, Add Butter by Beth Harbison
Release date: July 17, 2012

Description:

As far as Gemma is concerned, her days of dating are over. In fact, it’s her job to cater other peoples’ dates, and that’s just fine by her. At thirty-seven, she has her own business, working as a private chef, and her life feels full and secure. She’s got six steady clients that keep her hands full. 

There’s Lex, the fussy but fabulous department store owner who loves Oysters Rockefeller and 1950s comfort food; Willa, who needs to lose weight under doctor’s orders but still believes butter makes everything better; a colorful family who may or may not be part of the Russian mob; an überwealthy Georgetown family; the picture-perfect Van Houghtens, whose matriarch is “allergic to everything”; and finally, a man she calls “Mr. Tuesday,” whom she has never met but who she is strangely drawn to. 

For Gemma, cooking is predictable. Recipes are certain. Use good ingredients, follow the directions, and you are assured success. Life, on the other hand, is full of variables. So when Gemma’s takes an unexpected turn on a road she always thought was straight and narrow, she must face her past and move on in ways she never would have imagined. Because sometimes in life, all you need is a little hope, a lot of courage, and---oh yes---butter.

While the title of this book sounds like it should belong to a Paula Deen biography, I think this novel about cooking, friendship, and romance sounds exactly like my cup of tea.

What are you waiting on this week?






10 comments:

  1. i have girl of fire and thorns but i have yet to read it. hopefully i'll have time soon before book #2 comes out.

    thanks for stopping by our WoW! :)

    -Michelle
    http://booksandmakeup.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. These both sound tempting...my first choice would be When in Doubt, Add Butter. Enjoy!

    Here's MY WOW POST

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cool to read about a prequel novella; I was so confused when reading the summary and looking at the cover because I thought you were talking about the sequel and it was different than what I remembered. Hope this is another good read!

    I love the title for the second book-that may be my motto about cooking...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nooo, why is the first one ebook only! sigh :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish it was available in paperback but I guess you could always read it on the computer. I wonder if eventually there will be a print version or if it would be included in the next book as an extra.

      Delete
  5. O, I love the title of When it Doubt, Add Butter! Sounds like great words on wisdom! :D I haven't read Girl of Fire & Thorns---sounds like I should move it up on the to-read list! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Both books sound great! You had me laughing out loud about the Paula Deen reference. When in Doubt sounds like a fun summer read. I'll have to check it out. Great picks, Christina!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hadn't heard of The Shadow Cats before! But I loved The Girl of Fire and Thorns, it was so good! I can't wait to check out The Shadow Cats now!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the title, "When In Doubt, Eat Butter." I love Fred.

    ReplyDelete

Reading Extensively is now an award free blog. Thanks for stopping by! Please leave a comment. I enjoy receiving feedback! Due to increase in spam, I've enabled comment moderation. Sorry for any inconvenience!